Non-breaking hyphen

  • RBRoufberg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2007
      I have forgotten how to keyboard a non-breaking hyphen (as in a telephone
      number). Can someone please refresh my memory?

      Thanks,
      Ruth R.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2007
        Ruth

        For me, holding down the option key while pressing the - key works.

        Geoff

        >I have forgotten how to keyboard a non-breaking hyphen (as in a telephone
        >number). Can someone please refresh my memory?
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Ruth R.

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Neil Kosh
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
          >I have forgotten how to keyboard a non-breaking hyphen (as in a telephone
          >number). Can someone please refresh my memory?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >Ruth R.

          Hold down the Command and Shift keys while pressing the hyphen key as
          the desired spot.

          Neil Kosh
        • Douglas Bouley
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
            Please pardon my ignorance. Just curious: how does that differ
            (typographically) from a minus sign?

            Thanks,
            Doug

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
              Ruth

              Cmd-Sh - does not work for me, but Opt - and Opt-sh - both produce
              sorts of hyphens. having looked at all three, the ordinary hyphen
              that will break is shorter then the Opt - hyphen (an en dash?) and
              both are shorter than the Opt-sh - (em dash?). Neither of the latter
              two breaks at the end of a line for me.

              Geoff

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
                WP's five kinds of hyphens and dashes, with details (e.g. what breaks
                at the end of line), and default keystrokes, are in the Database section
                here. You can assign any to any keystroke of course.

                John R.
              • RBRoufberg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 3, 2007
                  Thanks to all for the non-breaking hyphen solution.
                  Option, Option-shift, and Command-Shift all work for me, but Option alone
                  produces a slightly longer dash that is unattractive.

                  Doug Bouley asked: Just curious: how does that differ
                  (typographically) from a minus sign?

                  They may look the same, but a non-breaking hyphen keeps phone numbers and
                  phrases like
                  "will-o'-the-wisp" on a single line for a more esthetic appearance.

                  Ruth R.

                  In a message dated 1/2/07 9:46:14 PM, Geoff@... writes:

                  > Ruth
                  >
                  > Cmd-Sh - does not work for me, but Opt - and Opt-sh - both produce
                  > sorts of hyphens. having looked at all three, the ordinary hyphen
                  > that will break is shorter then the Opt - hyphen (an en dash?) and
                  > both are shorter than the Opt-sh - (em dash?). Neither of the latter
                  > two breaks at the end of a line for me.
                  >
                  > Geoff
                  >

                  > >  >I have forgotten how to keyboard a non-breaking hyphen (as in a
                  > telephone
                  > >>number).   Can someone please refresh my memory?
                  > >>
                  > >>Thanks,
                  > >>Ruth R.
                  > >>

                  > >Hold down the Command and Shift keys while pressing the hyphen key as
                  > >the desired spot.
                  > >
                  > >Neil Kosh

                • Douglas Bouley
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
                    Thanks, Ruth. That's good to know.

                    --doug

                    RBRoufberg@... wrote:
                    > <snip>
                    >
                    > Doug Bouley asked: Just curious: how does that differ
                    > (typographically) from a minus sign?
                    >
                    > They may look the same, but a non-breaking hyphen keeps phone numbers and
                    > phrases like
                    > "will-o'-the-wisp" on a single line for a more esthetic appearance.
                    >
                    > Ruth R.

                  • Frank Mitchell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 21, 2007
                      I have had WordPerfect 3.5e from Corel for a long time and it has been
                      working fine.

                      Recently, I "upgraded" with the version downloaded from this site. Word
                      Perfect's version number now appears to be 3.5e2B0.

                      Two problems have been introduced...

                      1. Whenever I open WP I am asked to find and set the WP folder.

                      2. Whenever I try to open an existing WP file I get the message

                      "Disk Full!! Please free some disk space on the volume which contains the
                      temporary files".

                      Can anyone suggest fixes, please?

                      Otherwise I will have to uninstall and reinstall from my Corel disks?

                      I am using a MDD Dual G4 desktop with OS 10.9.3 and it has a 60 GB hard
                      drive with 29 GB of free space.

                      Thanks,
                      Frank

                      -- Frank Mitchell, Scottsdale, Arizona
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 24, 2007
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Mitchell" <fmitchel@...> wrote:

                        > I have had WordPerfect 3.5e from Corel for a long time and it has been
                        > working fine.
                        >
                        > Recently, I "upgraded" with the version downloaded from this site. Word
                        > Perfect's version number now appears to be 3.5e2B0.
                        >
                        > Two problems have been introduced...
                        >
                        > 1. Whenever I open WP I am asked to find and set the WP folder.

                        When WP starts, it looks for a folder named, exactly, "Conversions"
                        in its application folder, i.e. the folder you've set as such in Prefs
                        or, if you haven't set one, the folder containing the application
                        file. The easiest fix is to download Conversions 2.1.1 from the
                        Conversions folder in the Files section here.

                        > 2. Whenever I try to open an existing WP file I get the message
                        >
                        > "Disk Full!! Please free some disk space on the volume which contains the
                        > temporary files".

                        What OS version are you using?

                        IAC, I searched for "full" in the Archive Index (in the Files section
                        here) and got:

                        798 cannot save - full disk
                        799 cannot save - full disk
                        799 cannot save - full disk
                        799 cannot save - full disk
                        799 cannot save - full disk
                        1498 Error: Disk is full
                        1498 Error: Disk is full
                        1498 Error: Disk is full
                        1499 Error: Disk is full

                        all of which discuss earlier versions of WP that would not recognize
                        a disk over 2 gb in size. I think this was fixed in 3.5.4 and I haven't
                        seen the problem since. I'd first try quitting WP and deleting the
                        Preferences file in the WordPerfect folder of the Preferences folder
                        of the System folder. If that doesn't work, a reinstall of the
                        downloaded program would be next. I think deleting Prefs might
                        fix it, though.

                        John R.
                      • Frank Mitchell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 25, 2007
                          Hello John

                          >> I have had WordPerfect 3.5e from Corel for a long time and it has been
                          >> working fine.
                          >>
                          >> Recently, I "upgraded" with the version downloaded from this site. Word
                          >> Perfect's version number now appears to be 3.5e2B0.
                          >>
                          >> Two problems have been introduced...
                          >>
                          >> 1. Whenever I open WP I am asked to find and set the WP folder.
                          >
                          >When WP starts, it looks for a folder named, exactly, "Conversions"
                          >in its application folder, i.e. the folder you've set as such in Prefs
                          >or, if you haven't set one, the folder containing the application
                          >file. The easiest fix is to download Conversions 2.1.1 from the
                          >Conversions folder in the Files section here.

                          That did it!

                          During the upgrade I changed the previous folder title to "Word Perfect
                          old". When the upgrade worked OK, I trashed the old file which contained
                          the Conversions folder. Another case of throwing the baby out with the
                          bath water!

                          >> 2. Whenever I try to open an existing WP file I get the message
                          >>
                          >> "Disk Full!! Please free some disk space on the volume which contains the
                          >> temporary files".
                          >
                          >What OS version are you using?

                          Sorry, forgot to mention this - 10.3.9

                          >I'd first try quitting WP and deleting the
                          >Preferences file in the WordPerfect folder of the Preferences folder
                          >of the System folder. If that doesn't work, a reinstall of the
                          >downloaded program would be next. I think deleting Prefs might
                          >fix it, though.

                          And you are right, it did.

                          Thank you very much for the help,