[wpmac] Re: Files omitted from 3.5e installer?

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
      Actually, we're both right. I discovered one extra detail that should
      clarify the whole thing. I had forgotten that there are two separate
      updaters floating around out there. One is a 1.9 MB file generally
      called "WordPerfect 3.5e Updater"; the other, often with the identical
      name, is a 389KB file commonly known as the OS 8-9 updater.

      Let's call the first one " the large 1.9 MB updater" and the other one
      "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater". They do completely different things.

      As I said earlier, the CD-based installer produces an executable that
      can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updater. However, the CD-based version
      CAN be updated by "the large 1.9 MB updater" to an executable numbered
      3.5e, dated 28 February 1998, sized 3,526,496 bytes. This updated 3.5e
      version can THEN be updated (as the non-updated version could not) by
      the "small 389KB OS 8-9 updater" to the final 3.5e2b0 version. (I expect
      this is how you got to the final version.)

      The downloadable version does not need the intermediate stage of the
      large 1.9MB updater; it can be directly updated by "the small 389KB OS
      8-9 updater" to the final version. However, as described in earlier
      messages, the downloadable 3.5e installer does not install the full set
      of templates and fonts.

      So the best possible route to the final version is to start with the
      CD-based installer; then apply "the large 1.9MB updater"; then finally
      apply "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater"; the result is the final version
      of the program with all the fonts and templates.

      I hope this finally clears up the matter!

      > On Dec 21, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:
      >
      > > This CD-installed version can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updatder.
      >
      > I'm not so sure, though I'm not about to go through all of the
      > installation process just to try to prove a point. But I've never
      > used the downloadable version, having always worked from the CD
      > enhancement pack version (with my original registration number.) I
      > know I applied the OS 8-9 update, because it fixed the too-rapid
      > scrolling problem (unless that was on a different patch) that I had
      > when I first used it back when I got the OS8 update on my old
      Performa.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
        It turns out that all this information, in slightly different form is
        already widely available here:

        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate
        <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate>

        The author of that page obviously went to a lot of trouble to put
        together all that information a few years ago, and there was no need for
        me to duplicate his effort over the past two days.

        But he seems not to have noticed (back then) that the downloadable
        installer omits the equation fonts and the templates, so perhaps this
        was worth doing, after all.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson"

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
          For those who still possess the Enhancement Pack for Corel
          WordPerfect v3.5 CD and want to install the extra fonts that are only
          available via the installer (ie. not in the Fonts folder on that CD -
          the Equation, Envelope & WP Bitstream fonts), but without
          reinstalling the entire programme and having to update it, do a
          Custom Install. The Installer defaults to Easy Install, but the
          Custom Install allows you to simply install those fonts.

          Geoff