[wpmac] Re: WP Equation and Envelope Fonts

  • Neil Kosh
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
      I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
      installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/

      How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
      should I look for?

      Neil Kosh

      > >The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
      >>CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
      >>were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
      > >were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
        Two replies: one to Geoff, which seems to have got lost while posting:

        The fact that there's a folder on the 3.5e CD that contains the
        executable WordPerfect program is a completely separate fact from the
        fact that the installer program contains a separate compressed copy of
        the same program.

        At one point, Corel more or less always put a full application folder
        on its install CDs (that's the way all the WPDOS CDs worked); the
        application folder had some of the same files that the SEPARATE
        installer program installed - but the folder on the CD did not contain
        the files that got installed into the system folder. So you need to
        use the installer to get the WP Equation and Envelope fonts and
        presumably other addons installed into your system.

        Second reply: to determine if you have the Equation fonts etc
        installed, run WP, use Tools/Equation/New, and if WP pops up an error
        message saying that the equation fonts are not installed, then you can
        assume that the equation fonts are not installed. If you don't get the
        error message, and you can create an equation and insert a character
        such as a Sigma, then the equation fonts are in fact installed.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Neil Kosh <neilk99@...> wrote:

        > I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
        > installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/
        >
        > How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
        > should I look for?
        >

        > Neil Kosh
        >

        > > >The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
        > >>CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
        > >>were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
        > > >were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.

      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
          On Dec 21, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

          > This CD-installed version can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updatder.

          I'm not so sure, though I'm not about to go through all of the
          installation process just to try to prove a point. But I've never
          used the downloadable version, having always worked from the CD
          enhancement pack version (with my original registration number.) I
          know I applied the OS 8-9 update, because it fixed the too-rapid
          scrolling problem (unless that was on a different patch) that I had
          when I first used it back when I got the OS8 update on my old Performa.

          It's been so long that I can't remember for sure--but I think that
          when I got my G3 iBook, I copied the already patched application file
          (the whole WP folder and Preferences file, actually) onto that
          machine, and then when I got my Mini, I used the startup assistant to
          enable the Firewire target disk mode to transfer all the accounts and
          files to the Mini. My point--sorry it's taking so long--is that I've
          been working with the application file that I patched way back when
          under OS8. Is it possible that the CD version might have been
          patchable under OS8 or 9, but perhaps not under Classic? That's the
          only explanation I can think of.

          "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
          warfare."
          --James Madison, 1793

          Rick Albright
          logres@...
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
            Actually, we're both right. I discovered one extra detail that should
            clarify the whole thing. I had forgotten that there are two separate
            updaters floating around out there. One is a 1.9 MB file generally
            called "WordPerfect 3.5e Updater"; the other, often with the identical
            name, is a 389KB file commonly known as the OS 8-9 updater.

            Let's call the first one " the large 1.9 MB updater" and the other one
            "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater". They do completely different things.

            As I said earlier, the CD-based installer produces an executable that
            can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updater. However, the CD-based version
            CAN be updated by "the large 1.9 MB updater" to an executable numbered
            3.5e, dated 28 February 1998, sized 3,526,496 bytes. This updated 3.5e
            version can THEN be updated (as the non-updated version could not) by
            the "small 389KB OS 8-9 updater" to the final 3.5e2b0 version. (I expect
            this is how you got to the final version.)

            The downloadable version does not need the intermediate stage of the
            large 1.9MB updater; it can be directly updated by "the small 389KB OS
            8-9 updater" to the final version. However, as described in earlier
            messages, the downloadable 3.5e installer does not install the full set
            of templates and fonts.

            So the best possible route to the final version is to start with the
            CD-based installer; then apply "the large 1.9MB updater"; then finally
            apply "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater"; the result is the final version
            of the program with all the fonts and templates.

            I hope this finally clears up the matter!

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
              It turns out that all this information, in slightly different form is
              already widely available here:

              http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate
              <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate>

              The author of that page obviously went to a lot of trouble to put
              together all that information a few years ago, and there was no need for
              me to duplicate his effort over the past two days.

              But he seems not to have noticed (back then) that the downloadable
              installer omits the equation fonts and the templates, so perhaps this
              was worth doing, after all.

              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson"

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                For those who still possess the Enhancement Pack for Corel
                WordPerfect v3.5 CD and want to install the extra fonts that are only
                available via the installer (ie. not in the Fonts folder on that CD -
                the Equation, Envelope & WP Bitstream fonts), but without
                reinstalling the entire programme and having to update it, do a
                Custom Install. The Installer defaults to Easy Install, but the
                Custom Install allows you to simply install those fonts.

                Geoff