[wpmac] Re: Files omitted from 3.5e installer?

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
      That's what I guessed, but the actual WP file and other elements of
      the programme are not stuffed, so I wondered whether it was a hold
      over from an earlier version of WP I'd had on my machine.

      Geoff

    • Neil Kosh
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
        I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
        installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/

        How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
        should I look for?

        Neil Kosh

        > >The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
        >>CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
        >>were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
        > >were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
          Two replies: one to Geoff, which seems to have got lost while posting:

          The fact that there's a folder on the 3.5e CD that contains the
          executable WordPerfect program is a completely separate fact from the
          fact that the installer program contains a separate compressed copy of
          the same program.

          At one point, Corel more or less always put a full application folder
          on its install CDs (that's the way all the WPDOS CDs worked); the
          application folder had some of the same files that the SEPARATE
          installer program installed - but the folder on the CD did not contain
          the files that got installed into the system folder. So you need to
          use the installer to get the WP Equation and Envelope fonts and
          presumably other addons installed into your system.

          Second reply: to determine if you have the Equation fonts etc
          installed, run WP, use Tools/Equation/New, and if WP pops up an error
          message saying that the equation fonts are not installed, then you can
          assume that the equation fonts are not installed. If you don't get the
          error message, and you can create an equation and insert a character
          such as a Sigma, then the equation fonts are in fact installed.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Neil Kosh <neilk99@...> wrote:

          > I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
          > installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/
          >
          > How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
          > should I look for?
          >

          > Neil Kosh
          >

          > > >The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
          > >>CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
          > >>were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
          > > >were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.

        • Rick Albright
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
            On Dec 21, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

            > This CD-installed version can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updatder.

            I'm not so sure, though I'm not about to go through all of the
            installation process just to try to prove a point. But I've never
            used the downloadable version, having always worked from the CD
            enhancement pack version (with my original registration number.) I
            know I applied the OS 8-9 update, because it fixed the too-rapid
            scrolling problem (unless that was on a different patch) that I had
            when I first used it back when I got the OS8 update on my old Performa.

            It's been so long that I can't remember for sure--but I think that
            when I got my G3 iBook, I copied the already patched application file
            (the whole WP folder and Preferences file, actually) onto that
            machine, and then when I got my Mini, I used the startup assistant to
            enable the Firewire target disk mode to transfer all the accounts and
            files to the Mini. My point--sorry it's taking so long--is that I've
            been working with the application file that I patched way back when
            under OS8. Is it possible that the CD version might have been
            patchable under OS8 or 9, but perhaps not under Classic? That's the
            only explanation I can think of.

            "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
            warfare."
            --James Madison, 1793

            Rick Albright
            logres@...
          • Edward Mendelson
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
              Actually, we're both right. I discovered one extra detail that should
              clarify the whole thing. I had forgotten that there are two separate
              updaters floating around out there. One is a 1.9 MB file generally
              called "WordPerfect 3.5e Updater"; the other, often with the identical
              name, is a 389KB file commonly known as the OS 8-9 updater.

              Let's call the first one " the large 1.9 MB updater" and the other one
              "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater". They do completely different things.

              As I said earlier, the CD-based installer produces an executable that
              can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updater. However, the CD-based version
              CAN be updated by "the large 1.9 MB updater" to an executable numbered
              3.5e, dated 28 February 1998, sized 3,526,496 bytes. This updated 3.5e
              version can THEN be updated (as the non-updated version could not) by
              the "small 389KB OS 8-9 updater" to the final 3.5e2b0 version. (I expect
              this is how you got to the final version.)

              The downloadable version does not need the intermediate stage of the
              large 1.9MB updater; it can be directly updated by "the small 389KB OS
              8-9 updater" to the final version. However, as described in earlier
              messages, the downloadable 3.5e installer does not install the full set
              of templates and fonts.

              So the best possible route to the final version is to start with the
              CD-based installer; then apply "the large 1.9MB updater"; then finally
              apply "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater"; the result is the final version
              of the program with all the fonts and templates.

              I hope this finally clears up the matter!

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
                It turns out that all this information, in slightly different form is
                already widely available here:

                http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate
                <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate>

                The author of that page obviously went to a lot of trouble to put
                together all that information a few years ago, and there was no need for
                me to duplicate his effort over the past two days.

                But he seems not to have noticed (back then) that the downloadable
                installer omits the equation fonts and the templates, so perhaps this
                was worth doing, after all.

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                  For those who still possess the Enhancement Pack for Corel
                  WordPerfect v3.5 CD and want to install the extra fonts that are only
                  available via the installer (ie. not in the Fonts folder on that CD -
                  the Equation, Envelope & WP Bitstream fonts), but without
                  reinstalling the entire programme and having to update it, do a
                  Custom Install. The Installer defaults to Easy Install, but the
                  Custom Install allows you to simply install those fonts.

                  Geoff