[wpmac] Re: Files omitted from 3.5e installer?

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
      The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
      CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
      were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
      were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.

      If you search the CD, you won't find any of the files that the
      installer puts into the System Folder. They're all stuffed into the
      installer file itself.

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...>
      wrote:

      > I've just stuck my Corel WordPerfect Enhanced CD in my CD Drive.
      581
      > Mb and modified on 4 August 1997. It has a Fonts folder with three
      > sub folders: Font Families, Font Groups and Symbols - 83.6Mb.
      There's
      > also Clip Art, Textures, Web Art and Photos. In the WordPerfect
      > folder there are templates for the UK, Australia and the US &
      Canada.
      > However, no Equation or Envelope Fonts.
      >
      > Geoff
      >
      > >OK, I think I've got this sorted out:
      > >
      > >There were two versions of 3.5e, one that was distributed on a CD
      called
      > >"Enhancement Pack for Corel WordPerfect for Mac OS v 3.5", the
      other
      > >that was the downloadable version we all know about.
      > >
      > >CD version:
      > >
      > >The installer on the CD is 28.7 MB in size (30,126,037 bytes) and
      is
      > >dated 4 August 1997. It creates an executable version of WP
      numbered
      > >3.5e, dated 2 August 1997, and sized 3,529,194 bytes.
      > >
      > >The installer creates a "Templates US" folder (at least in the US)
      with
      > >a total of 2.9 MB of templates included. It also installs the WP
      > >Equations and WP Envelopes fonts.
      > >
      > >This CD-installed version can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9
      updatder.

      > >Downloadable version:
      > >
      > >The downloadable installer is 24.3 MB in size (25,510,202 bytes)
      and is
      > >dated 18 August 1999. It creates an executable version of WP also
      > >numbered 3.5e, but dated 28 February 1998, and sized 3,780,377
      bytes.

      > >This installer does not, as far as I can tell, create a Templates
      > >folder, and it does not install the WP Equations font or the WP
      > >Envelopes font.
      > >
      > >This downloadable version CAN be updated by the OS 8-9 updater to a
      > >version numbered 3.5e2b0 (that's a beta, not a b in the original),
      dated
      > >11 October 1996, and sized 3,526,235 bytes.
      > >
      > >Corrections welcome, of course. And is it possible to put together
      > >complete installer that would have all the goodies from the CD
      version
      > >together with the revised files from the downloadable installer?
      > >

      > >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "John Rethorst" <jrethorst@>
      > >wrote:
      > >>
      > >> --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson"
      emendelson@

      > >figure

      > >that
      > >without
      > >also
      > >missing
      > >>
      > >> The equation fonts, and now the labels template, are in the
      Files

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
        That's what I guessed, but the actual WP file and other elements of
        the programme are not stuffed, so I wondered whether it was a hold
        over from an earlier version of WP I'd had on my machine.

        Geoff

      • Neil Kosh
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
          I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
          installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/

          How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
          should I look for?

          Neil Kosh

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
            Two replies: one to Geoff, which seems to have got lost while posting:

            The fact that there's a folder on the 3.5e CD that contains the
            executable WordPerfect program is a completely separate fact from the
            fact that the installer program contains a separate compressed copy of
            the same program.

            At one point, Corel more or less always put a full application folder
            on its install CDs (that's the way all the WPDOS CDs worked); the
            application folder had some of the same files that the SEPARATE
            installer program installed - but the folder on the CD did not contain
            the files that got installed into the system folder. So you need to
            use the installer to get the WP Equation and Envelope fonts and
            presumably other addons installed into your system.

            Second reply: to determine if you have the Equation fonts etc
            installed, run WP, use Tools/Equation/New, and if WP pops up an error
            message saying that the equation fonts are not installed, then you can
            assume that the equation fonts are not installed. If you don't get the
            error message, and you can create an equation and insert a character
            such as a Sigma, then the equation fonts are in fact installed.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Neil Kosh <neilk99@...> wrote:

            > I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
            > installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/
            >
            > How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
            > should I look for?
            >

            > Neil Kosh
            >

            > > >The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
            > >>CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
            > >>were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
            > > >were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.

          • Rick Albright
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
              On Dec 21, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

              > This CD-installed version can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updatder.

              I'm not so sure, though I'm not about to go through all of the
              installation process just to try to prove a point. But I've never
              used the downloadable version, having always worked from the CD
              enhancement pack version (with my original registration number.) I
              know I applied the OS 8-9 update, because it fixed the too-rapid
              scrolling problem (unless that was on a different patch) that I had
              when I first used it back when I got the OS8 update on my old Performa.

              It's been so long that I can't remember for sure--but I think that
              when I got my G3 iBook, I copied the already patched application file
              (the whole WP folder and Preferences file, actually) onto that
              machine, and then when I got my Mini, I used the startup assistant to
              enable the Firewire target disk mode to transfer all the accounts and
              files to the Mini. My point--sorry it's taking so long--is that I've
              been working with the application file that I patched way back when
              under OS8. Is it possible that the CD version might have been
              patchable under OS8 or 9, but perhaps not under Classic? That's the
              only explanation I can think of.

              "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
              warfare."
              --James Madison, 1793

              Rick Albright
              logres@...
            • Edward Mendelson
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
                Actually, we're both right. I discovered one extra detail that should
                clarify the whole thing. I had forgotten that there are two separate
                updaters floating around out there. One is a 1.9 MB file generally
                called "WordPerfect 3.5e Updater"; the other, often with the identical
                name, is a 389KB file commonly known as the OS 8-9 updater.

                Let's call the first one " the large 1.9 MB updater" and the other one
                "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater". They do completely different things.

                As I said earlier, the CD-based installer produces an executable that
                can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updater. However, the CD-based version
                CAN be updated by "the large 1.9 MB updater" to an executable numbered
                3.5e, dated 28 February 1998, sized 3,526,496 bytes. This updated 3.5e
                version can THEN be updated (as the non-updated version could not) by
                the "small 389KB OS 8-9 updater" to the final 3.5e2b0 version. (I expect
                this is how you got to the final version.)

                The downloadable version does not need the intermediate stage of the
                large 1.9MB updater; it can be directly updated by "the small 389KB OS
                8-9 updater" to the final version. However, as described in earlier
                messages, the downloadable 3.5e installer does not install the full set
                of templates and fonts.

                So the best possible route to the final version is to start with the
                CD-based installer; then apply "the large 1.9MB updater"; then finally
                apply "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater"; the result is the final version
                of the program with all the fonts and templates.

                I hope this finally clears up the matter!

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
                  It turns out that all this information, in slightly different form is
                  already widely available here:

                  http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate
                  <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate>

                  The author of that page obviously went to a lot of trouble to put
                  together all that information a few years ago, and there was no need for
                  me to duplicate his effort over the past two days.

                  But he seems not to have noticed (back then) that the downloadable
                  installer omits the equation fonts and the templates, so perhaps this
                  was worth doing, after all.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                    For those who still possess the Enhancement Pack for Corel
                    WordPerfect v3.5 CD and want to install the extra fonts that are only
                    available via the installer (ie. not in the Fonts folder on that CD -
                    the Equation, Envelope & WP Bitstream fonts), but without
                    reinstalling the entire programme and having to update it, do a
                    Custom Install. The Installer defaults to Easy Install, but the
                    Custom Install allows you to simply install those fonts.

                    Geoff