Re: Files omitted from 3.5e installer?

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
      OK, I think I've got this sorted out:

      There were two versions of 3.5e, one that was distributed on a CD called
      "Enhancement Pack for Corel WordPerfect for Mac OS v 3.5", the other
      that was the downloadable version we all know about.

      CD version:

      The installer on the CD is 28.7 MB in size (30,126,037 bytes) and is
      dated 4 August 1997. It creates an executable version of WP numbered
      3.5e, dated 2 August 1997, and sized 3,529,194 bytes.

      The installer creates a "Templates US" folder (at least in the US) with
      a total of 2.9 MB of templates included. It also installs the WP
      Equations and WP Envelopes fonts.

      This CD-installed version can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updatder.

      Downloadable version:

      The downloadable installer is 24.3 MB in size (25,510,202 bytes) and is
      dated 18 August 1999. It creates an executable version of WP also
      numbered 3.5e, but dated 28 February 1998, and sized 3,780,377 bytes.

      This installer does not, as far as I can tell, create a Templates
      folder, and it does not install the WP Equations font or the WP
      Envelopes font.

      This downloadable version CAN be updated by the OS 8-9 updater to a
      version numbered 3.5e2b0 (that's a beta, not a b in the original), dated
      11 October 1996, and sized 3,526,235 bytes.

      Corrections welcome, of course. And is it possible to put together a
      complete installer that would have all the goodies from the CD version
      together with the revised files from the downloadable installer?

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
        I've just stuck my Corel WordPerfect Enhanced CD in my CD Drive. 581
        Mb and modified on 4 August 1997. It has a Fonts folder with three
        sub folders: Font Families, Font Groups and Symbols - 83.6Mb. There's
        also Clip Art, Textures, Web Art and Photos. In the WordPerfect
        folder there are templates for the UK, Australia and the US & Canada.
        However, no Equation or Envelope Fonts.

        Geoff

      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
          The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
          CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
          were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
          were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.

          If you search the CD, you won't find any of the files that the
          installer puts into the System Folder. They're all stuffed into the
          installer file itself.

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...>

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
            That's what I guessed, but the actual WP file and other elements of
            the programme are not stuffed, so I wondered whether it was a hold
            over from an earlier version of WP I'd had on my machine.

            Geoff

          • Neil Kosh
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
              I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
              installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/

              How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
              should I look for?

              Neil Kosh

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
                Two replies: one to Geoff, which seems to have got lost while posting:

                The fact that there's a folder on the 3.5e CD that contains the
                executable WordPerfect program is a completely separate fact from the
                fact that the installer program contains a separate compressed copy of
                the same program.

                At one point, Corel more or less always put a full application folder
                on its install CDs (that's the way all the WPDOS CDs worked); the
                application folder had some of the same files that the SEPARATE
                installer program installed - but the folder on the CD did not contain
                the files that got installed into the system folder. So you need to
                use the installer to get the WP Equation and Envelope fonts and
                presumably other addons installed into your system.

                Second reply: to determine if you have the Equation fonts etc
                installed, run WP, use Tools/Equation/New, and if WP pops up an error
                message saying that the equation fonts are not installed, then you can
                assume that the equation fonts are not installed. If you don't get the
                error message, and you can create an equation and insert a character
                such as a Sigma, then the equation fonts are in fact installed.

                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Neil Kosh <neilk99@...> wrote:

                > I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
                > installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/
                >
                > How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
                > should I look for?
                >

                > Neil Kosh
                >

                > > >The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
                > >>CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
                > >>were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
                > > >were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.

              • Rick Albright
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
                  On Dec 21, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                  > This CD-installed version can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updatder.

                  I'm not so sure, though I'm not about to go through all of the
                  installation process just to try to prove a point. But I've never
                  used the downloadable version, having always worked from the CD
                  enhancement pack version (with my original registration number.) I
                  know I applied the OS 8-9 update, because it fixed the too-rapid
                  scrolling problem (unless that was on a different patch) that I had
                  when I first used it back when I got the OS8 update on my old Performa.

                  It's been so long that I can't remember for sure--but I think that
                  when I got my G3 iBook, I copied the already patched application file
                  (the whole WP folder and Preferences file, actually) onto that
                  machine, and then when I got my Mini, I used the startup assistant to
                  enable the Firewire target disk mode to transfer all the accounts and
                  files to the Mini. My point--sorry it's taking so long--is that I've
                  been working with the application file that I patched way back when
                  under OS8. Is it possible that the CD version might have been
                  patchable under OS8 or 9, but perhaps not under Classic? That's the
                  only explanation I can think of.

                  "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
                  warfare."
                  --James Madison, 1793

                  Rick Albright
                  logres@...
                • Edward Mendelson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
                    Actually, we're both right. I discovered one extra detail that should
                    clarify the whole thing. I had forgotten that there are two separate
                    updaters floating around out there. One is a 1.9 MB file generally
                    called "WordPerfect 3.5e Updater"; the other, often with the identical
                    name, is a 389KB file commonly known as the OS 8-9 updater.

                    Let's call the first one " the large 1.9 MB updater" and the other one
                    "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater". They do completely different things.

                    As I said earlier, the CD-based installer produces an executable that
                    can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updater. However, the CD-based version
                    CAN be updated by "the large 1.9 MB updater" to an executable numbered
                    3.5e, dated 28 February 1998, sized 3,526,496 bytes. This updated 3.5e
                    version can THEN be updated (as the non-updated version could not) by
                    the "small 389KB OS 8-9 updater" to the final 3.5e2b0 version. (I expect
                    this is how you got to the final version.)

                    The downloadable version does not need the intermediate stage of the
                    large 1.9MB updater; it can be directly updated by "the small 389KB OS
                    8-9 updater" to the final version. However, as described in earlier
                    messages, the downloadable 3.5e installer does not install the full set
                    of templates and fonts.

                    So the best possible route to the final version is to start with the
                    CD-based installer; then apply "the large 1.9MB updater"; then finally
                    apply "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater"; the result is the final version
                    of the program with all the fonts and templates.

                    I hope this finally clears up the matter!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
                      It turns out that all this information, in slightly different form is
                      already widely available here:

                      http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate
                      <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate>

                      The author of that page obviously went to a lot of trouble to put
                      together all that information a few years ago, and there was no need for
                      me to duplicate his effort over the past two days.

                      But he seems not to have noticed (back then) that the downloadable
                      installer omits the equation fonts and the templates, so perhaps this
                      was worth doing, after all.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                        For those who still possess the Enhancement Pack for Corel
                        WordPerfect v3.5 CD and want to install the extra fonts that are only
                        available via the installer (ie. not in the Fonts folder on that CD -
                        the Equation, Envelope & WP Bitstream fonts), but without
                        reinstalling the entire programme and having to update it, do a
                        Custom Install. The Installer defaults to Easy Install, but the
                        Custom Install allows you to simply install those fonts.

                        Geoff