Re: Files omitted from 3.5e installer?

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <emendelson@...> wrote:

      > Probably everyone knows this already, but it took me a while to figure
      > it out:
      >
      > The 3.5e installer and updater do not include some essential files that
      > are installed by the Novell 3.5x installer (this was explained without
      > details on the original download page, but the information seems to
      > have got lost). This is the reason that the Labels template (and
      > perhaps other templates too) are missing in new installations, and also
      > the reason why the WP Equations Font and WP Envelopes Font are missing
      > from new installations made from the installer.

      The equation fonts, and now the labels template, are in the Files section
      here. I hadn't known there was an envelopes font. That would explain why
      an earlier poster was getting blank envelopes. If someone can send me
      the envelopes font, I'll post it.

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
        OK, I think I've got this sorted out:

        There were two versions of 3.5e, one that was distributed on a CD called
        "Enhancement Pack for Corel WordPerfect for Mac OS v 3.5", the other
        that was the downloadable version we all know about.

        CD version:

        The installer on the CD is 28.7 MB in size (30,126,037 bytes) and is
        dated 4 August 1997. It creates an executable version of WP numbered
        3.5e, dated 2 August 1997, and sized 3,529,194 bytes.

        The installer creates a "Templates US" folder (at least in the US) with
        a total of 2.9 MB of templates included. It also installs the WP
        Equations and WP Envelopes fonts.

        This CD-installed version can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updatder.

        Downloadable version:

        The downloadable installer is 24.3 MB in size (25,510,202 bytes) and is
        dated 18 August 1999. It creates an executable version of WP also
        numbered 3.5e, but dated 28 February 1998, and sized 3,780,377 bytes.

        This installer does not, as far as I can tell, create a Templates
        folder, and it does not install the WP Equations font or the WP
        Envelopes font.

        This downloadable version CAN be updated by the OS 8-9 updater to a
        version numbered 3.5e2b0 (that's a beta, not a b in the original), dated
        11 October 1996, and sized 3,526,235 bytes.

        Corrections welcome, of course. And is it possible to put together a
        complete installer that would have all the goodies from the CD version
        together with the revised files from the downloadable installer?

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
          I've just stuck my Corel WordPerfect Enhanced CD in my CD Drive. 581
          Mb and modified on 4 August 1997. It has a Fonts folder with three
          sub folders: Font Families, Font Groups and Symbols - 83.6Mb. There's
          also Clip Art, Textures, Web Art and Photos. In the WordPerfect
          folder there are templates for the UK, Australia and the US & Canada.
          However, no Equation or Envelope Fonts.

          Geoff

        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
            The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
            CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
            were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
            were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.

            If you search the CD, you won't find any of the files that the
            installer puts into the System Folder. They're all stuffed into the
            installer file itself.

            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Gilbert <Geoff@...>

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 21, 2006
              That's what I guessed, but the actual WP file and other elements of
              the programme are not stuffed, so I wondered whether it was a hold
              over from an earlier version of WP I'd had on my machine.

              Geoff

            • Neil Kosh
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
                I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
                installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/

                How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
                should I look for?

                Neil Kosh

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
                  Two replies: one to Geoff, which seems to have got lost while posting:

                  The fact that there's a folder on the 3.5e CD that contains the
                  executable WordPerfect program is a completely separate fact from the
                  fact that the installer program contains a separate compressed copy of
                  the same program.

                  At one point, Corel more or less always put a full application folder
                  on its install CDs (that's the way all the WPDOS CDs worked); the
                  application folder had some of the same files that the SEPARATE
                  installer program installed - but the folder on the CD did not contain
                  the files that got installed into the system folder. So you need to
                  use the installer to get the WP Equation and Envelope fonts and
                  presumably other addons installed into your system.

                  Second reply: to determine if you have the Equation fonts etc
                  installed, run WP, use Tools/Equation/New, and if WP pops up an error
                  message saying that the equation fonts are not installed, then you can
                  assume that the equation fonts are not installed. If you don't get the
                  error message, and you can create an equation and insert a character
                  such as a Sigma, then the equation fonts are in fact installed.

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Neil Kosh <neilk99@...> wrote:

                  > I've been using using WP 3.5e since it became available. I also
                  > installed the Enhancement Pack ages ago/
                  >
                  > How can I know I have the Equation and Envelope fonts? What names
                  > should I look for?
                  >

                  > Neil Kosh
                  >

                  > > >The WP Equation and Envelope fonts are presumably stuffed into the
                  > >>CD-based installer program. How do I know this? Because the fonts
                  > >>were not in my System Folder before I ran the installer, but they
                  > > >were suddenly present in my System Folder after I ran the installer.

                • Rick Albright
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 22, 2006
                    On Dec 21, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Edward Mendelson wrote:

                    > This CD-installed version can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updatder.

                    I'm not so sure, though I'm not about to go through all of the
                    installation process just to try to prove a point. But I've never
                    used the downloadable version, having always worked from the CD
                    enhancement pack version (with my original registration number.) I
                    know I applied the OS 8-9 update, because it fixed the too-rapid
                    scrolling problem (unless that was on a different patch) that I had
                    when I first used it back when I got the OS8 update on my old Performa.

                    It's been so long that I can't remember for sure--but I think that
                    when I got my G3 iBook, I copied the already patched application file
                    (the whole WP folder and Preferences file, actually) onto that
                    machine, and then when I got my Mini, I used the startup assistant to
                    enable the Firewire target disk mode to transfer all the accounts and
                    files to the Mini. My point--sorry it's taking so long--is that I've
                    been working with the application file that I patched way back when
                    under OS8. Is it possible that the CD version might have been
                    patchable under OS8 or 9, but perhaps not under Classic? That's the
                    only explanation I can think of.

                    "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
                    warfare."
                    --James Madison, 1793

                    Rick Albright
                    logres@...
                  • Edward Mendelson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
                      Actually, we're both right. I discovered one extra detail that should
                      clarify the whole thing. I had forgotten that there are two separate
                      updaters floating around out there. One is a 1.9 MB file generally
                      called "WordPerfect 3.5e Updater"; the other, often with the identical
                      name, is a 389KB file commonly known as the OS 8-9 updater.

                      Let's call the first one " the large 1.9 MB updater" and the other one
                      "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater". They do completely different things.

                      As I said earlier, the CD-based installer produces an executable that
                      can NOT be updated by the OS 8-9 updater. However, the CD-based version
                      CAN be updated by "the large 1.9 MB updater" to an executable numbered
                      3.5e, dated 28 February 1998, sized 3,526,496 bytes. This updated 3.5e
                      version can THEN be updated (as the non-updated version could not) by
                      the "small 389KB OS 8-9 updater" to the final 3.5e2b0 version. (I expect
                      this is how you got to the final version.)

                      The downloadable version does not need the intermediate stage of the
                      large 1.9MB updater; it can be directly updated by "the small 389KB OS
                      8-9 updater" to the final version. However, as described in earlier
                      messages, the downloadable 3.5e installer does not install the full set
                      of templates and fonts.

                      So the best possible route to the final version is to start with the
                      CD-based installer; then apply "the large 1.9MB updater"; then finally
                      apply "the small 389KB OS 8-9 updater"; the result is the final version
                      of the program with all the fonts and templates.

                      I hope this finally clears up the matter!

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 23, 2006
                        It turns out that all this information, in slightly different form is
                        already widely available here:

                        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate
                        <http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#findupdate>

                        The author of that page obviously went to a lot of trouble to put
                        together all that information a few years ago, and there was no need for
                        me to duplicate his effort over the past two days.

                        But he seems not to have noticed (back then) that the downloadable
                        installer omits the equation fonts and the templates, so perhaps this
                        was worth doing, after all.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 27, 2006
                          For those who still possess the Enhancement Pack for Corel
                          WordPerfect v3.5 CD and want to install the extra fonts that are only
                          available via the installer (ie. not in the Fonts folder on that CD -
                          the Equation, Envelope & WP Bitstream fonts), but without
                          reinstalling the entire programme and having to update it, do a
                          Custom Install. The Installer defaults to Easy Install, but the
                          Custom Install allows you to simply install those fonts.

                          Geoff