Re: [wpmac] WP 3.5 vs. WP 3.5e

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2006
      On Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:34 pm ((PST)), "John Rethorst"
      <jrethorst@...> wrote:

      >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <smokey.ardisson@...>
      >wrote:
      >>
      >> On Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:59 pm ((PST)), "rjtc5"
      >> <rcasey@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> >Since the install we have noted that the document icons of docs
      >> >created by the user running OS X and WP 3.5e show as a blank icon.
      >> >Also, when I open these documents, MacLink Plus Deluxe translates the
      >> >doc on the fly. Also, her documents, which had previously been saved
      >> >to our file server with a name, now open as an "untitled" documents.
      [...]
      >I get blank icons from WP and other Classic programs when I first
      >save files. They still work, i.e. double-clicking them opens them in
      >the right application. Saving a change to the file restores the icon.
      [...]
      >I don't know why documents on the server would open as untitled,
      >unless WP sees the server as write-protected somehow, so it's treating
      >the documents as templates.

      I took the OP to mean that on the Macs running 9/3.5.x, documents
      saved by users running X/3.5e had no icons and invoked MacLinkPlus to
      open them (opening as "untitled").

      If this is indeed the case, it's because the 3.5e user is saving in
      WP4 format, which 3.5.x has no icon for (nor can it read directly).
      "Recent" versions of MacLinkPlus can translate the 3.5e (WP4) format,
      so double-clicking on a WP4 file on a Mac with only 3.5.x would
      invoke MLP to translate it into a WP3 format and send it to 3.5.x as
      "untitled".

      If I misunderstood the OP, then John R's explanation is of course correct :)

      Smokey