Re: [wpmac] WP 3.5 vs. WP 3.5e

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2006
      On Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:59 pm ((PST)), "rjtc5"
      <rcasey@...> wrote:

      >We've been using WP 3.5 (ver. 3.5.3 and 3.5.1 to be specific) on
      [...]
      >If I recall correctly, I installed the 3.5 e version because the 3.5
      >version from the cd was giving us "disk full" messages.

      Upgrading your 3.5.3 and 3.5.1 installs to 3.5.4 will fix that. I
      think that updater is on the r8ix site.

      >Since the install we have noted that the document icons of docs
      >created by the user running OS X and WP 3.5e show as a blank icon.
      >Also, when I open these documents, MacLink Plus Deluxe translates the
      >doc on the fly. Also, her documents, which had previously been saved
      >to our file server with a name, now open as an "untitled" documents.
      >
      >1. Is there a way to save docs out of WP 3.5e which will not require
      >translation and renaming of docs?

      Save as WP3 format by default (I forget the actual name of the menu
      options, but WP 3.5e saves in "WP4" format by default, which is why
      Macs with only WP 3.5.x installed see blank icons).

      >2. Or is the option to upgrade all users to the 3.5e version?

      3.5e supposedly has a number of bug fixes (as well as a some new
      features), so the general advice is to upgrade. (3.5e was
      incompatible with Energy Saver on my PowerBook back in the day, and
      had some other quirks, and WP-Win couldn't read 3.5e files, so I've
      stuck with 3.5.4 to this day personally, but I think most of this
      group runs 3.5e.....)

      Best,
      Smokey
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <smokey.ardisson@...>
        wrote:

        > On Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:59 pm ((PST)), "rjtc5"
        > <rcasey@...> wrote:
        >
        > >We've been using WP 3.5 (ver. 3.5.3 and 3.5.1 to be specific) on
        > [...]
        > >If I recall correctly, I installed the 3.5 e version because the 3.5
        > >version from the cd was giving us "disk full" messages.
        >
        > Upgrading your 3.5.3 and 3.5.1 installs to 3.5.4 will fix that.

        It will, but there are good advantages to going to 3.5e (plus the
        updater) instead.

        > >Since the install we have noted that the document icons of docs
        > >created by the user running OS X and WP 3.5e show as a blank icon.
        > >Also, when I open these documents, MacLink Plus Deluxe translates the
        > >doc on the fly. Also, her documents, which had previously been saved
        > >to our file server with a name, now open as an "untitled" documents.
        >
        > Save as WP3 format by default (I forget the actual name of the menu
        > options, but WP 3.5e saves in "WP4" format by default, which is why
        > Macs with only WP 3.5.x installed see blank icons).

        I don't have MacLink Plus, but try going to Edit > Preferences > Files.
        If the "Use Easy Open" is checked, uncheck it, or vice versa. Or I
        wonder if a setting in the MacLink control panel could affect this.

        I get blank icons from WP and other Classic programs when I first
        save files. They still work, i.e. double-clicking them opens them in
        the right application. Saving a change to the file restores the icon.
        I think this is just a small glitch in Classic. Which BTW the SheepShaver
        /WordPerfect install I'm building, now in final testing, does not have.

        > 3.5e supposedly has a number of bug fixes (as well as a some new
        > features), so the general advice is to upgrade. (3.5e was
        > incompatible with Energy Saver on my PowerBook back in the day, and
        > had some other quirks, and WP-Win couldn't read 3.5e files, so I've
        > stuck with 3.5.4 to this day personally, but I think most of this
        > group runs 3.5e.....)

        As long as you like 3.5.4 . . . but 3.5e updated is more stable. It's a
        good idea to reinstall any program every couple of years anyway. Bit
        rot is fact, not fiction.

        I don't know why documents on the server would open as untitled,
        unless WP sees the server as write-protected somehow, so it's treating
        the documents as templates.

        John R.
      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 17, 2006
          >John Rethorst wrote:
          >
          >I get blank icons from WP and other Classic programs when I first
          >save files. They still work, i.e. double-clicking them opens them in
          >the right application. Saving a change to the file restores the
          >icon. I think this is just a small glitch in Classic.

          It's only cosmetic, but you can remove the blank icon and restore the WP icon:
          Get Info on the file in the OS X Finder,
          Highlight the icon in the Get Info window, and then
          Press the Delete key.
          --

          Bob Stern
        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 17, 2006
            On Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:34 pm ((PST)), "John Rethorst"
            <jrethorst@...> wrote:

            >--- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Smokey Ardisson <smokey.ardisson@...>
            >wrote:
            >>
            >> On Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:59 pm ((PST)), "rjtc5"
            >> <rcasey@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> >Since the install we have noted that the document icons of docs
            >> >created by the user running OS X and WP 3.5e show as a blank icon.
            >> >Also, when I open these documents, MacLink Plus Deluxe translates the
            >> >doc on the fly. Also, her documents, which had previously been saved
            >> >to our file server with a name, now open as an "untitled" documents.
            [...]
            >I get blank icons from WP and other Classic programs when I first
            >save files. They still work, i.e. double-clicking them opens them in
            >the right application. Saving a change to the file restores the icon.
            [...]
            >I don't know why documents on the server would open as untitled,
            >unless WP sees the server as write-protected somehow, so it's treating
            >the documents as templates.

            I took the OP to mean that on the Macs running 9/3.5.x, documents
            saved by users running X/3.5e had no icons and invoked MacLinkPlus to
            open them (opening as "untitled").

            If this is indeed the case, it's because the 3.5e user is saving in
            WP4 format, which 3.5.x has no icon for (nor can it read directly).
            "Recent" versions of MacLinkPlus can translate the 3.5e (WP4) format,
            so double-clicking on a WP4 file on a Mac with only 3.5.x would
            invoke MLP to translate it into a WP3 format and send it to 3.5.x as
            "untitled".

            If I misunderstood the OP, then John R's explanation is of course correct :)

            Smokey