WP for Mac???

  • matthew_herrick
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 22, 2006
      I am converting to Mac after 20 yrs. on PC with Corel WP. My job
      requires me to run WP. I hear WP 3.51 is compatible even on MAC X.
      Where can I find it? Of course my PC is always crashing and I'm making
      the switch this week. HELP!
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 22, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "matthew_herrick" <matthew_herrick@...> wrote:

        > I am converting to Mac after 20 yrs. on PC with Corel WP. My job
        > requires me to run WP. I hear WP 3.51 is compatible even on MAC X.
        > Where can I find it? Of course my PC is always crashing and I'm making
        > the switch this week. HELP!

        Please read the group description on the home page.

        John R.
      • Mark
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 24, 2006
          If your work requires WordPerfect, and you prefer to work on a Mac,
          then you probably need to install Virtual PC and run WordPerfect for
          Windows, or install one of the new dual-operating-system setups like
          Parallels for Intel Macs and run WordPerfect inside the Windows
          environment.

          Only the discontinued PowerPC Macs can run WordPerfect for Macintosh.
          None of the current Macs can run it.

          As far as I know, WordPerfect for Mac only saves to WP 5.1, not to WP
          6.0 and higher format, so you wouldn't be able to easily share files
          with other WordPerfect for Windows users using WordPerfect for Mac.

          (One of the biggest injustices in the computer world was the
          abandonment of WordPerfect for Mac by Novel and Corel. Released to the
          open source world, maybe by now there would have been a Carbonized
          version, Universal vesrion, and an export filter to WP 6.0 format.)

          I have an older PowerPC Mac and use WordPerfect 3.5 for Mac daily. It
          runs rings around any other text-manipulation program I have seen. It
          is a perfect compliment to web design work and to page layout software
          (Quark or InDesign) due to its automation ability using the built-in
          macro language. It launches in less than a second and does everything
          very quickly even with large documents.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 24, 2006
            WP for Mac can save as WP for PC 6, 7 and 8 direct from the Save As
            dialog. Secondly, John Rethorst appears to be close to putting
            together a package based around Sheepshaver that will allow Classic
            to run on an Intel Mac. However, if you are a former WP for PC user
            on a Windows machine, the logical thing would be to remain such, but
            running Parallels on an Intel Mac to support the Windows environment.
            When I move over to an Intel Mac, probably after Leopard is launched,
            I plan to have Sheepshaver and Windows with WP for Mac 3.5e and WP
            for Windows - the future is bright.

            Geoff

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24, 2006

              > WP for Mac can save as WP for PC 6, 7 and 8 direct from the Save As
              > dialog.

              Smokey and Jonathan know more than I do, but I think that WPWin 8
              (or earlier) through WPWin 12 share the same file format.

              > Secondly, John Rethorst appears to be close to putting
              > together a package based around Sheepshaver that will allow Classic
              > to run on an Intel Mac.

              Might be ready to ship this weekend.