Re: [wpmac] conversion to Word

  • Smokey Ardisson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2006
      On Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:09 am ((PST)), "eyeless_jerry" <yahoogroups.com@_> wrote:

      >Hi again,
      >
      >Well, the files does not open in NeoOffice either -- well, they
      >open, but are blank. I verified
      >that there is text content in the file by opening it in TextEdit --
      >the first characters there
      >suggests it might be a WordPerfect 2 for Mac file ... (I am trying
      >to help someone else with
      >this and apparently he has vers. 2 to 3.5 files).
      >I have a file here that you can test with if you do not believe me
      >(I added the .wpd extension
      >so the file is possible to open with double-click):
      ><http://cycloclimbing.com/other/FaxBjerkander.wpd>

      It sounds like you've already gotten this file to open successfully
      in WP-Mac 3.5e, so just an update about the NeoOffice/AbiWord routes.
      The current versions of NeoOffice and AbiWord are using older
      versions of the libwpd library (which handles translating WordPerfect
      documents), but the latest version of libwpd handles this file just
      fine (thanks in part to a member of this list who sent me a bunch of
      WP 2 documents earlier this year). Whenever NeoOffice and AbiWord
      update to the latest libwpd, they'll be able to open WP2 (and WP1, as
      well as WP3 and 3.5e) documents properly, too (for NeoOffice this is
      currently scheduled for the next major release).

      Best,
      Smokey