conversion to Word

  • eyeless_jerry
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
      Hi again,

      Well, the files does not open in NeoOffice either -- well, they open, but are blank. I verified
      that there is text content in the file by opening it in TextEdit -- the first characters there
      suggests it might be a WordPerfect 2 for Mac file ... (I am trying to help someone else with
      this and apparently he has vers. 2 to 3.5 files).
      I have a file here that you can test with if you do not believe me (I added the .wpd extension
      so the file is possible to open with double-click):
      <http://cycloclimbing.com/other/FaxBjerkander.wpd>

      There is no demo of the MacLink Plus and I am not sure it works on an Intel-Mac (perhaps
      not really necessary in this case, but ...), so I am not sure that it really will convert the file to
      something with readable content.

      Thanks for all the replies!

      Jerry
    • J.J. McVeigh
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
        Also sprach eyeless_jerry:

        >Well, the files does not open in NeoOffice
        >either -- well, they open, but are blank. I
        >verified
        >that there is text content in the file by
        >opening it in TextEdit -- the first characters
        >there
        >suggests it might be a WordPerfect 2 for Mac
        >file ... (I am trying to help someone else with
        >this and apparently he has vers. 2 to 3.5 files).
        >I have a file here that you can test with if you
        >do not believe me (I added the .wpd extension
        >so the file is possible to open with double-click):
        ><http://cycloclimbing.com/other/FaxBjerkander.wpd>
        >
        >There is no demo of the MacLink Plus and I am
        >not sure it works on an Intel-Mac (perhaps
        >not really necessary in this case, but ...), so
        >I am not sure that it really will convert the
        >file to
        >something with readable content.

        I downloaded the wpd file in question. MacLink
        Plus immediately recognized it as a WordPerfect 2
        for Mac document, and was able to readily convert
        it to a WP 3.5ep document, to a Word X for Mac
        Document, to a Word 98 document, and to a Word
        Windows XP document.

        I was able to open the converted files using WP
        3.5ep for Mac, and Word X. In all cases, the
        opened files look the same.... the fax cover
        sheet of an architectural design firm in the
        Swedish town of Göteborg.
        --

        J.J. McVeigh
      • eyeless_jerry
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2006
          21 nov 2006 kl. 18.01 skrev J.J. McVeigh:
          "I downloaded the wpd file in question. MacLink
          Plus immediately recognized it as a WordPerfect 2
          for Mac document, and was able to readily convert
          it to a WP 3.5ep document, to a Word X for Mac
          Document, to a Word 98 document, and to a Word
          Windows XP document."

          "I was able to open the converted files using WP
          3.5ep for Mac, and Word X. In all cases, the
          opened files look the same.... ."

          Thanks for the help!

          Jerry
        • Smokey Ardisson
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 22, 2006
            On Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:09 am ((PST)), "eyeless_jerry" <yahoogroups.com@_> wrote:

            >Hi again,
            >
            >Well, the files does not open in NeoOffice either -- well, they
            >open, but are blank. I verified
            >that there is text content in the file by opening it in TextEdit --
            >the first characters there
            >suggests it might be a WordPerfect 2 for Mac file ... (I am trying
            >to help someone else with
            >this and apparently he has vers. 2 to 3.5 files).
            >I have a file here that you can test with if you do not believe me
            >(I added the .wpd extension
            >so the file is possible to open with double-click):
            ><http://cycloclimbing.com/other/FaxBjerkander.wpd>

            It sounds like you've already gotten this file to open successfully
            in WP-Mac 3.5e, so just an update about the NeoOffice/AbiWord routes.
            The current versions of NeoOffice and AbiWord are using older
            versions of the libwpd library (which handles translating WordPerfect
            documents), but the latest version of libwpd handles this file just
            fine (thanks in part to a member of this list who sent me a bunch of
            WP 2 documents earlier this year). Whenever NeoOffice and AbiWord
            update to the latest libwpd, they'll be able to open WP2 (and WP1, as
            well as WP3 and 3.5e) documents properly, too (for NeoOffice this is
            currently scheduled for the next major release).

            Best,
            Smokey