Re: [wpmac] batch conversion to Word

  • Edmaestro@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
      How about Dataviz MacLinkPlus?

      Ed Rosenblatt

      -----Original Message-----
      From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
      To: wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 6:32 AM
      Subject: [wpmac] batch conversion to Word

      Hi,

      I joined here in order to download the Conversions for WordPerfect and batch convert
      WordPerfect files to Word (Mac), but it did not work as it seem to depend on some pre-OS 9
      extension. Nor was it possible to open WordPerfect 3.5 files in AbiWord as was another
      suggested way to get the files over to Mac OS X. Now I only know of the way I fugured out
      myself -- to open the files in WordPefect in Classic and save them one by one to Word 6.

      Anyone here who knows of an easier way to convert hundreds of WP files to OS X compatible
      ones?

      Thanks,
      Jerry

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
        MetaMacro is free, and will batch-convert all files in any folder to e.g. Word 6.
        In the Files section here.

        But . . . I have SheepShaver running really well, and am building a CD image
        that will have _everything_, including an installer. I have yet to find a
        disadvantage to it relative to Classic.

        John R.
      • pjandlar
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
          I'll volunteer to be your first tester!
          Pam

          > MetaMacro is free, and will batch-convert all files in any folder to
          e.g. Word 6.
          > In the Files section here.
          >
          > But . . . I have SheepShaver running really well, and am building a
          CD image
          > that will have _everything_, including an installer. I have yet to
          find a
          > disadvantage to it relative to Classic.
          >
          > John R.

        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
            John Rethorst said:

            >But . . . I have SheepShaver running really well, and am building a CD image
            >that will have _everything_, including an installer.

            That will be a wonderful service to the Mac community, John!

            >I have yet to find a
            >disadvantage to it relative to Classic.

            How about printing? Is it as seamless as it is in recent versions of
            Classic?

            Randy B. Singer

            Co-Author of:
            The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

            OS X Routine Maintenance
            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

              > How about printing? Is it as seamless as it is in recent versions of
              > Classic?

              Just print with the free Adobe PS driver, to a folder you set. A folder action
              script opens whatever comes into that folder with Printer Setup Utility,
              which comes with OSX, and which prints the file. So, press command-P
              in WP and then hit Return in the Print dialog. Looks to be as fast as with
              a PPC Mac.

              John R.
            • Barney Christianson
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 21, 2006

                >But . . . I have SheepShaver running really well, and am building a CD image
                >that will have _everything_, including an installer. I have yet to find a
                >disadvantage to it relative to Classic.
                >
                >John R.

                John, an earlier post caused me some concern about saving documents
                created in SheepShaver. Have you tried saving from SheepShaver
                directly into folders over a network? We have separate work stations
                linked to an Xserver? Right now we either:
                begin with a WP precedent in a database in one partition on the
                server and save the product to one of thousands of clients' folders
                in another partition, or
                modify an existing WP document in a client's folder and "Save As" the
                product back to the same folder.

                Will these steps work in SheepShaver?

                Barney

                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 22, 2006
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Barney Christianson <bchristianson@...> wrote:

                  > John, an earlier post caused me some concern about saving documents
                  > created in SheepShaver. Have you tried saving from SheepShaver
                  > directly into folders over a network? We have separate work stations
                  > linked to an Xserver? Right now we either:
                  > begin with a WP precedent in a database in one partition on the
                  > server and save the product to one of thousands of clients' folders
                  > in another partition, or
                  > modify an existing WP document in a client's folder and "Save As" the
                  > product back to the same folder.
                  >
                  > Will these steps work in SheepShaver?

                  This is on my list to check out, but it will be another week. IAC you
                  can save in SS to any folder, and a folder action attached to that
                  folder could move or copy the file to the network folder, if there's a
                  problem saving there directly.