Re: [wpmac] batch conversion to Word

  • Edmaestro@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
      How about Dataviz MacLinkPlus?

      Ed Rosenblatt

      -----Original Message-----
      From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
      To: wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 6:32 AM
      Subject: [wpmac] batch conversion to Word

      Hi,

      I joined here in order to download the Conversions for WordPerfect and batch convert
      WordPerfect files to Word (Mac), but it did not work as it seem to depend on some pre-OS 9
      extension. Nor was it possible to open WordPerfect 3.5 files in AbiWord as was another
      suggested way to get the files over to Mac OS X. Now I only know of the way I fugured out
      myself -- to open the files in WordPefect in Classic and save them one by one to Word 6.

      Anyone here who knows of an easier way to convert hundreds of WP files to OS X compatible
      ones?

      Thanks,
      Jerry

    • erniemariette
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
        MacLinkPlus Version 15 works a treat. http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/
        At $79.00 it's a bargain.

        Drop a folder on MacLinkPlus, set your conversion to Word or whatever.... and it converts
        every file it finds in the folder including preservation of sub-folders to Word or any of the
        supported word processor variants. It even converts PDF's to editable word files. This is
        the way to go if you have lots of files.

        Another method.

        Get a copy of NeoOffice. It will read WP 3.5 files natively. NeoOffice is Open Source -
        Free. http://www.neooffice.org/

        There is a Universal Binary version for Intel Macs... and a PPC version, so get the right copy
        for your type of mac.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, eyeless_jerry <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I joined here in order to download the Conversions for WordPerfect and batch convert
        > WordPerfect files to Word (Mac), but it did not work as it seem to depend on some pre-
        OS 9
        > extension. Nor was it possible to open WordPerfect 3.5 files in AbiWord as was another
        > suggested way to get the files over to Mac OS X. Now I only know of the way I fugured
        out
        > myself -- to open the files in WordPefect in Classic and save them one by one to Word
        6.

        > Anyone here who knows of an easier way to convert hundreds of WP files to OS X
        compatible
        > ones?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jerry

      • pjandlar
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
          This isn't a batch conversion, but another option (suggested by Randy Singer - thanks!) is
          NeoOffice. It's opening all my old WP files on my Intel Mac, works well, and can save to a
          lot of formats:
          http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/features.php
          Pam

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, eyeless_jerry <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I joined here in order to download the Conversions for WordPerfect and batch convert
          > WordPerfect files to Word (Mac), but it did not work as it seem to depend on some pre-
          OS 9
          > extension. Nor was it possible to open WordPerfect 3.5 files in AbiWord as was another
          > suggested way to get the files over to Mac OS X. Now I only know of the way I fugured
          out
          > myself -- to open the files in WordPefect in Classic and save them one by one to Word
          6.

          > Anyone here who knows of an easier way to convert hundreds of WP files to OS X
          compatible
          > ones?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jerry

        • Randy B. Singer
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
            eyeless_jerry said:

            >Anyone here who knows of an easier way to convert hundreds of WP files to
            >OS X compatible
            >ones?

            1-Purchase MacLinkPlus from DataViz
            <http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html> and use it to
            convert your .wpd files to .doc files. This, at first, might seem like
            the ideal solution, but in practice, if your documents have complex
            formatting, the MacLinkPlus translators can be disappointing.

            2/3-Download AbiWord (free) <http://www.abisource.com/> or NeoOffice
            (free)
            <http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php> and use one of them to
            open your documents and save them as .doc files for use in Word (or
            continue using AbiWord or NeoOffice/J as your main word processing
            application). Both of these programs use the same exact open source
            translators, so it doesn't matter which you use.

            4-Download the last version of WordPerfect for Macintosh and run it in
            the Classic environment (which won't work on an Intel-based Mac since
            Classic won't run on an Intel-based Mac); it will read your .wpd files
            and you can save them in .doc format.
            <ftp://ftp.r8ix.com/WP-L_Stuff/WordPerfectKit.sit>

            5-On a Windows computer, download the free trial version of WordPerfect
            v.12 for Windows and use the built-in translators, which I understand
            work really well.

            <http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Trials/Login&pid=10
            47022958453&cid=1047022992398>

            or

            http://tinyurl.com/6zgal

            6-CrossWords, a commercial WordPerfect to Word conversion utility for
            Windows, can convert your WP files to Word on your PC before transferring
            your files to your Macintosh. CrossWords has the huge advantage of
            allowing you to convert all of your WP documents in one big batch.
            http://www.levitjames.com/crosswords/CrossWords.html

            7-Use one of the utilities that allow you to run Windows, or Windows
            software, on your Mac, to open your WP files in WP/Win or some other
            Windows conversion utility. e.g. BootCamp, Parallels, Crossover, etc.

            8-Nisus Writer Express can also open Word Perfect files. It uses the
            same translators used by NeoOffice and AbiWord which is this one:
            <http://libwpd.sourceforge.net/index.html>

            Randy B. Singer

            Co-Author of:
            The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)

            OS X Routine Maintenance
            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
              MetaMacro is free, and will batch-convert all files in any folder to e.g. Word 6.
              In the Files section here.

              But . . . I have SheepShaver running really well, and am building a CD image
              that will have _everything_, including an installer. I have yet to find a
              disadvantage to it relative to Classic.

              John R.
            • pjandlar
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
                I'll volunteer to be your first tester!
                Pam

                > MetaMacro is free, and will batch-convert all files in any folder to
                e.g. Word 6.
                > In the Files section here.
                >
                > But . . . I have SheepShaver running really well, and am building a
                CD image
                > that will have _everything_, including an installer. I have yet to
                find a
                > disadvantage to it relative to Classic.
                >
                > John R.

              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
                  John Rethorst said:

                  >But . . . I have SheepShaver running really well, and am building a CD image
                  >that will have _everything_, including an installer.

                  That will be a wonderful service to the Mac community, John!

                  >I have yet to find a
                  >disadvantage to it relative to Classic.

                  How about printing? Is it as seamless as it is in recent versions of
                  Classic?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 20, 2006
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

                    > How about printing? Is it as seamless as it is in recent versions of
                    > Classic?

                    Just print with the free Adobe PS driver, to a folder you set. A folder action
                    script opens whatever comes into that folder with Printer Setup Utility,
                    which comes with OSX, and which prints the file. So, press command-P
                    in WP and then hit Return in the Print dialog. Looks to be as fast as with
                    a PPC Mac.

                    John R.
                  • Barney Christianson
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 21, 2006

                      >But . . . I have SheepShaver running really well, and am building a CD image
                      >that will have _everything_, including an installer. I have yet to find a
                      >disadvantage to it relative to Classic.
                      >
                      >John R.

                      John, an earlier post caused me some concern about saving documents
                      created in SheepShaver. Have you tried saving from SheepShaver
                      directly into folders over a network? We have separate work stations
                      linked to an Xserver? Right now we either:
                      begin with a WP precedent in a database in one partition on the
                      server and save the product to one of thousands of clients' folders
                      in another partition, or
                      modify an existing WP document in a client's folder and "Save As" the
                      product back to the same folder.

                      Will these steps work in SheepShaver?

                      Barney

                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 22, 2006
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Barney Christianson <bchristianson@...> wrote:

                        > John, an earlier post caused me some concern about saving documents
                        > created in SheepShaver. Have you tried saving from SheepShaver
                        > directly into folders over a network? We have separate work stations
                        > linked to an Xserver? Right now we either:
                        > begin with a WP precedent in a database in one partition on the
                        > server and save the product to one of thousands of clients' folders
                        > in another partition, or
                        > modify an existing WP document in a client's folder and "Save As" the
                        > product back to the same folder.
                        >
                        > Will these steps work in SheepShaver?

                        This is on my list to check out, but it will be another week. IAC you
                        can save in SS to any folder, and a folder action attached to that
                        folder could move or copy the file to the network folder, if there's a
                        problem saving there directly.