[wpmac] Re: Print from Sheepshaver/BasiliskII and WP?

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

      > >John Rethorst wrote:
      > >
      > >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
      > >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
      > >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
      > >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
      > >would be transparent.
      >
      > Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
      > instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
      > instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
      > emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
      > special integration between Classic and OS X.
      >
      > This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
      > Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
      > sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
      > triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.

      I've had no trouble, but never used the feature much. IAC I tried
      this Applescript, based on one on Edward's page:

      on adding folder items to TheFolder after receiving FileToPrint
      tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
      open FileToPrint
      delay 5
      quit
      end tell

      tell application "Finder" to delete FileToPrint
      end adding folder items to

      I will get my Intel Mac back next week, so I did this on a PPC
      Mac and attached it to a folder. I hit command-P in WP, set
      the Laserwriter 8 dialog to File and clicked OK. It asked me
      where I wanted the file to go (this setting sticks, so you only
      need to point there once). I clicked OK again and the file
      printed. Surprisingly, it printed just as fast as normally!