[wpmac] Re: Print from Sheepshaver/BasiliskII and WP?

  • Bob Stern
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
      >John Rethorst wrote:
      >
      >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
      >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
      >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
      >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
      >would be transparent.

      Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
      instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
      instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
      emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
      special integration between Classic and OS X.

      This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
      Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
      sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
      triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.
      --

      Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

        > >John Rethorst wrote:
        > >
        > >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
        > >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
        > >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
        > >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
        > >would be transparent.
        >
        > Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
        > instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
        > instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
        > emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
        > special integration between Classic and OS X.
        >
        > This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
        > Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
        > sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
        > triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.

        I've had no trouble, but never used the feature much. IAC I tried
        this Applescript, based on one on Edward's page:

        on adding folder items to TheFolder after receiving FileToPrint
        tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
        open FileToPrint
        delay 5
        quit
        end tell

        tell application "Finder" to delete FileToPrint
        end adding folder items to

        I will get my Intel Mac back next week, so I did this on a PPC
        Mac and attached it to a folder. I hit command-P in WP, set
        the Laserwriter 8 dialog to File and clicked OK. It asked me
        where I wanted the file to go (this setting sticks, so you only
        need to point there once). I clicked OK again and the file
        printed. Surprisingly, it printed just as fast as normally!