Re: Print from Sheepshaver/BasiliskII and WP?

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

      > >Edward Mendelson wrote:
      > >
      > >I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
      > >permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:
      > >
      > >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters
      >
      > I don't think that would work from an emulated environment. It
      > requires the special integration between Classic and OS X.

      If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with the
      transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
      anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
      which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
      would be transparent.

      John R.
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
        >John Rethorst wrote:
        >
        >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
        >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
        >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
        >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
        >would be transparent.

        Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
        instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
        instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
        emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
        special integration between Classic and OS X.

        This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
        Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
        sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
        triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.
        --

        Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

          > >John Rethorst wrote:
          > >
          > >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
          > >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
          > >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
          > >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
          > >would be transparent.
          >
          > Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
          > instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
          > instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
          > emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
          > special integration between Classic and OS X.
          >
          > This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
          > Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
          > sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
          > triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.

          I've had no trouble, but never used the feature much. IAC I tried
          this Applescript, based on one on Edward's page:

          on adding folder items to TheFolder after receiving FileToPrint
          tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
          open FileToPrint
          delay 5
          quit
          end tell

          tell application "Finder" to delete FileToPrint
          end adding folder items to

          I will get my Intel Mac back next week, so I did this on a PPC
          Mac and attached it to a folder. I hit command-P in WP, set
          the Laserwriter 8 dialog to File and clicked OK. It asked me
          where I wanted the file to go (this setting sticks, so you only
          need to point there once). I clicked OK again and the file
          printed. Surprisingly, it printed just as fast as normally!