Re: Print from Sheepshaver/BasiliskII and WP?

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
      I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
      permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:

      http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters

      <jrethorst@...> wrote:

      > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@>
      wrote:

      > > Am I right in thinking that there's no straightforward way to
      print from WPMac
      > > running under Sheepshaver or BasiliskII on an Intel Mac?
      >
      > I'm looking at this. What forum discussion there is suggests that
      SheepShaver,
      > at least, does not offer a direct connection with USB (it will
      print directly to
      > serial and parallel ports, though).
      >
      > > I'm not asking whether it's possible to print by saving a file to
      a shared directory
      > > and then opening it in some other application and printing it
      from there. I'm sure
      > > that's possible
      >
      > With the LaserWriter 8 driver, print to file. Double-click that
      file in Preview to
      > open it as PDF.
      >
      > John R.

    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
        >Edward Mendelson wrote:
        >
        >I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
        >permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:
        >
        >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters

        I don't think that would work from an emulated environment. It
        requires the special integration between Classic and OS X.
        --

        Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

          > >Edward Mendelson wrote:
          > >
          > >I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
          > >permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:
          > >
          > >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters
          >
          > I don't think that would work from an emulated environment. It
          > requires the special integration between Classic and OS X.

          If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with the
          transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
          anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
          which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
          would be transparent.

          John R.
        • Bob Stern
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
            >John Rethorst wrote:
            >
            >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
            >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
            >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
            >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
            >would be transparent.

            Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
            instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
            instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
            emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
            special integration between Classic and OS X.

            This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
            Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
            sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
            triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.
            --

            Bob Stern
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

              > >John Rethorst wrote:
              > >
              > >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
              > >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
              > >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
              > >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
              > >would be transparent.
              >
              > Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
              > instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
              > instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
              > emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
              > special integration between Classic and OS X.
              >
              > This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
              > Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
              > sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
              > triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.

              I've had no trouble, but never used the feature much. IAC I tried
              this Applescript, based on one on Edward's page:

              on adding folder items to TheFolder after receiving FileToPrint
              tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
              open FileToPrint
              delay 5
              quit
              end tell

              tell application "Finder" to delete FileToPrint
              end adding folder items to

              I will get my Intel Mac back next week, so I did this on a PPC
              Mac and attached it to a folder. I hit command-P in WP, set
              the Laserwriter 8 dialog to File and clicked OK. It asked me
              where I wanted the file to go (this setting sticks, so you only
              need to point there once). I clicked OK again and the file
              printed. Surprisingly, it printed just as fast as normally!