Re: Print from Sheepshaver/BasiliskII and WP?

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@...> wrote:

      > Am I right in thinking that there's no straightforward way to print from WPMac
      > running under Sheepshaver or BasiliskII on an Intel Mac?

      I'm looking at this. What forum discussion there is suggests that SheepShaver,
      at least, does not offer a direct connection with USB (it will print directly to
      serial and parallel ports, though).

      > I'm not asking whether it's possible to print by saving a file to a shared directory
      > and then opening it in some other application and printing it from there. I'm sure
      > that's possible

      With the LaserWriter 8 driver, print to file. Double-click that file in Preview to
      open it as PDF.

      John R.
    • Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
        I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
        permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:

        http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters

        <jrethorst@...> wrote:

        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@>
        wrote:

        > > Am I right in thinking that there's no straightforward way to
        print from WPMac
        > > running under Sheepshaver or BasiliskII on an Intel Mac?
        >
        > I'm looking at this. What forum discussion there is suggests that
        SheepShaver,
        > at least, does not offer a direct connection with USB (it will
        print directly to
        > serial and parallel ports, though).
        >
        > > I'm not asking whether it's possible to print by saving a file to
        a shared directory
        > > and then opening it in some other application and printing it
        from there. I'm sure
        > > that's possible
        >
        > With the LaserWriter 8 driver, print to file. Double-click that
        file in Preview to
        > open it as PDF.
        >
        > John R.

      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
          >Edward Mendelson wrote:
          >
          >I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
          >permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:
          >
          >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters

          I don't think that would work from an emulated environment. It
          requires the special integration between Classic and OS X.
          --

          Bob Stern
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

            > >Edward Mendelson wrote:
            > >
            > >I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
            > >permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:
            > >
            > >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters
            >
            > I don't think that would work from an emulated environment. It
            > requires the special integration between Classic and OS X.

            If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with the
            transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
            anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
            which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
            would be transparent.

            John R.
          • Bob Stern
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
              >John Rethorst wrote:
              >
              >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
              >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
              >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
              >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
              >would be transparent.

              Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
              instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
              instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
              emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
              special integration between Classic and OS X.

              This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
              Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
              sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
              triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.
              --

              Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

                > >John Rethorst wrote:
                > >
                > >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
                > >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
                > >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
                > >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
                > >would be transparent.
                >
                > Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
                > instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
                > instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
                > emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
                > special integration between Classic and OS X.
                >
                > This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
                > Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
                > sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
                > triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.

                I've had no trouble, but never used the feature much. IAC I tried
                this Applescript, based on one on Edward's page:

                on adding folder items to TheFolder after receiving FileToPrint
                tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
                open FileToPrint
                delay 5
                quit
                end tell

                tell application "Finder" to delete FileToPrint
                end adding folder items to

                I will get my Intel Mac back next week, so I did this on a PPC
                Mac and attached it to a folder. I hit command-P in WP, set
                the Laserwriter 8 dialog to File and clicked OK. It asked me
                where I wanted the file to go (this setting sticks, so you only
                need to point there once). I clicked OK again and the file
                printed. Surprisingly, it printed just as fast as normally!