Print from Sheepshaver/BasiliskII and WP?

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
      Am I right in thinking that there's no straightforward way to print from WPMac running under
      Sheepshaver or BasiliskII on an Intel Mac?

      I'm not asking whether it's possible to print by saving a file to a shared directory and then
      opening it in some other application and printing it from there. I'm sure that's possible if
      anyone is willing to take the trouble. What I am asking is whether it is possible to print by
      pressing Cmd-P and pressing a button - as it is in WPMac running in Classic on a PowerPC-
      based Mac.

      Thanks for any information on this.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@...> wrote:

        > Am I right in thinking that there's no straightforward way to print from WPMac
        > running under Sheepshaver or BasiliskII on an Intel Mac?

        I'm looking at this. What forum discussion there is suggests that SheepShaver,
        at least, does not offer a direct connection with USB (it will print directly to
        serial and parallel ports, though).

        > I'm not asking whether it's possible to print by saving a file to a shared directory
        > and then opening it in some other application and printing it from there. I'm sure
        > that's possible

        With the LaserWriter 8 driver, print to file. Double-click that file in Preview to
        open it as PDF.

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
          I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
          permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:

          http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters

          <jrethorst@...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@>
          wrote:

          > > Am I right in thinking that there's no straightforward way to
          print from WPMac
          > > running under Sheepshaver or BasiliskII on an Intel Mac?
          >
          > I'm looking at this. What forum discussion there is suggests that
          SheepShaver,
          > at least, does not offer a direct connection with USB (it will
          print directly to
          > serial and parallel ports, though).
          >
          > > I'm not asking whether it's possible to print by saving a file to
          a shared directory
          > > and then opening it in some other application and printing it
          from there. I'm sure
          > > that's possible
          >
          > With the LaserWriter 8 driver, print to file. Double-click that
          file in Preview to
          > open it as PDF.
          >
          > John R.

        • Bob Stern
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
            >Edward Mendelson wrote:
            >
            >I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
            >permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:
            >
            >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters

            I don't think that would work from an emulated environment. It
            requires the special integration between Classic and OS X.
            --

            Bob Stern
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

              > >Edward Mendelson wrote:
              > >
              > >I don't have an Intel Mac, but I wonder if this procedure would
              > >permit transparent printing under SheepShaver:
              > >
              > >http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/macintosh.html#osxonlyprinters
              >
              > I don't think that would work from an emulated environment. It
              > requires the special integration between Classic and OS X.

              If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with the
              transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
              anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
              which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
              would be transparent.

              John R.
            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006
                >John Rethorst wrote:
                >
                >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
                >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
                >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
                >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
                >would be transparent.

                Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
                instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
                instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
                emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
                special integration between Classic and OS X.

                This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
                Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
                sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
                triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.
                --

                Bob Stern
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2006

                  > >John Rethorst wrote:
                  > >
                  > >If you set the default print-to-file location to a given folder with
                  > >the transfer folder, and have an Applescript run automatically when
                  > >anything is added to that folder (as detailed on Edward's page),
                  > >which Applescript simply has the Finder print the added file, it
                  > >would be transparent.
                  >
                  > Quite true. I made the previous post after having read only the
                  > instructions for Tiger. I didn't realize you were refering to the
                  > instructions for Panther. The latter method would work in an
                  > emulated environment, even in Tiger, since it doesn't depend on any
                  > special integration between Classic and OS X.
                  >
                  > This raises a related point. The instructions require AppleScript
                  > Folder Actions. Does anyone besides me find that Folder Actions
                  > sometimes don't work? That is, adding a file to a folder sometimes
                  > triggers the folder action and sometimes does nothing.

                  I've had no trouble, but never used the feature much. IAC I tried
                  this Applescript, based on one on Edward's page:

                  on adding folder items to TheFolder after receiving FileToPrint
                  tell application "Printer Setup Utility"
                  open FileToPrint
                  delay 5
                  quit
                  end tell

                  tell application "Finder" to delete FileToPrint
                  end adding folder items to

                  I will get my Intel Mac back next week, so I did this on a PPC
                  Mac and attached it to a folder. I hit command-P in WP, set
                  the Laserwriter 8 dialog to File and clicked OK. It asked me
                  where I wanted the file to go (this setting sticks, so you only
                  need to point there once). I clicked OK again and the file
                  printed. Surprisingly, it printed just as fast as normally!