How to set up SheepShaver and WP on Intel Macs

  • pjandlar
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
      My new iMac is due to arrive any time - and with my old one starting up with a
      sad-faced screen, it had better be here soon. John or someone, could you
      please direct me to step-by-step instructions for setting up SheepShaver to
      use WordPerfect on Intel Macs?
      Thanks,
      Pam
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, pjandlar <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > please direct me to step-by-step instructions for setting up
        > SheepShaver to use WordPerfect on Intel Macs?

        The instructions at http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml are
        well-done. I had trouble just dragging an OS 8.6 folder across.
        Installing from the CD fixed it. Someone else reported that
        dragging worked fine, once they subsequently booted from the
        CD, opened the system folder in the dragged system, double-
        clicked on the Finder and closed the system folder, thereby
        "blessing" it, i.e. telling the Mac it was a system folder.

        Post any stumbling blocks you have.

        The more I use SS, the better I like it. When OSX first came
        out, we were reminded frequently on BBs that Classic was not
        OS 9. But SS is OS 9 (or 8.6 in my case). I had a fairly good-
        sized library of QuicKeys macros that I had to toss when going
        to OSX. I'm going to try installing QuicKeys on SS.

        Maybe this is another of the many instances when third-party
        software just does it better.

        John R.
      • pjandlar
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
          In the instructions on atpm.com, the link to TomeViewer didn't have TomeViewer on it (or I
          couldn't find it). Instead I downloaded TomeViewer through Version Tracker. I ran it per
          instructions to open and Expand the OS ROM Update, but Expand gave me the error
          message "There was a problem decrompressing the file "Mac OS ROM". (-43)" I posted this
          on the atpm site, but haven't heard yet of a solution.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, pjandlar <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > In the instructions on atpm.com, the link to TomeViewer didn't have
            > TomeViewer on it (or I couldn't find it).

            On that page (Apple's page with OS ROM Update 1.0), just below
            the top, there's a table. In the rightmost column there's an
            icon labeled Software. Click on that.

            John R.
          • pjandlar
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 2, 2006
              No problem downloading and double-clicking OS ROM Update 1.0 from Apple's page.

              The problems were with TomeViewer. I couldn't find TomeViewer from the link on
              atpm.com so instead I downloaded TomeViewer from versiontracker - that's probably ok.

              Then when I used TomeViewer to expand the OS ROM Update I got error -43. I just tried
              it again and got the same error, BUT then I gave the destination file a different name and it
              worked.

              Now off to the next step........