Re: WP RUNS ON INTEL!

  • marco_merken
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 19, 2006
      Hello John,

      if you will send me the image, I can place it on my webpages for download.

      Regrads,
      Marco

      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, kevin <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

      > Do you know what cpu basilik emulates (68000-68060)? could make a big difference
      too. Why not seed an image on Bittorent? that would be great.

      > John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote: I'll get to work on it. I want to
      try a setup with
      > Basilisk first, though, since one of the original
      > WP programmers (who's on this list) said that enough
      > of WP is 68K code that a 68K emulator, e.g. Basilisk,
      > might run faster than a PPC emulator like SheepShaver.
      > Interesting, since I'd thought that the speed-
      > critical parts of WP were all recoded in PPC for
      > that release.
      >
      > What I really should do, for whichever emulator
      > runs faster, is put all the parts on a CD image
      > along with an Applescript installer. Would anyone
      > like to host a 400mb image?
      >
      > John R.
      >

      > click here to visit my website www.myspace.com/kevin242
      >

      > This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
      recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized
      review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
      please promptly contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
      message.

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006

        > And very nicely too!
        >
        > I'm using the free SheepShaver emulator, which is easy enough to install.
        > But I couldn't get it to boot from anything but an OS install CD, although
        > I had manually put a copy of OS 8.6 where it should be. So I tried
        > installing OS 8.6 from the CD, and SheepShaver now works fine, and
        > runs WordPerfect with no issues that I can see.
        >
        > This is on a MacBook Pro, 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo chip, 1 GB RAM. Comparing
        > speed with a 1.25 Ghz PPC G4 iMac with 1 GB RAM, I spell-checked a
        > 48,000 word WP document with footnotes. The iMac took 16 seconds; the
        > Intel took 20 seconds. In normal use, speed is indistinguishable between
        > the two machines.

        I installed Basilisk II today, using the well-written instructions at
        http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml. Running it with OS 7.6 on the
        MacBook, WordPerfect spellchecked this document in 23 seconds. Again,
        everything works.

        More to come . . .

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
          In the Photos section here, you can see the screenshot I took (with my
          primitive cell phone camera) of WP on the MacBook Pro screen.

          Full screen height, as much width as I wanted (I left room for icons at
          the far right), full menu bar. In fact, that's the only difference I can
          see between emulation on Intel via SheepShaver and emulation on a
          PPC Mac via Classic - the former places a Classic menu bar immediately
          below the OSX menu bar.

          SheepShaver itself appears in the dock when running and, like any
          application, can be put there permanently, as well as being set as a
          startup item for your user account.

          I don't see a whole lot of difference between SS and Classic. As an
          earlier post notes, SS on a Macbook takes 20 seconds to spell-check
          48,000 words including footnotes, while Classic on a G4 takes 16.
          Intel chips are going to keep getting faster, of course.

          I don't want to wager whether it will be one year or two before
          WordPerfect runs faster than it ever has before.

          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
            Oh yes - Gero Herrmann's Spotlight plug-in, which he wrote as a
            universal binary (so an Intel Mac will index WP documents whether
            SheepShaver, or anything else, is installed), works just fine too.

            John R.
          • hacky8sack
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006
              John,
              OK, this all sounds fabulous, and should allow all of us to continue
              to use wp3.5e into the future. But one question: can you access the
              file structure of OSX from within wp while running on SS? Can one
              directly open and save files resident in the directory of OSX? If not,
              what's the workaround?
              Steve

              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "hacky8sack" <hacky8sack@...> wrote:

                > can you access the
                > file structure of OSX from within wp while running on SS? Can one
                > directly open and save files resident in the directory of OSX?

                It's close. Make a folder at some convenient place in OSX, and select
                it in SS prefs as a transfer folder. Put anything in that folder; it will
                show up in SS and vice versa.

                John R.
              • Bob Stern
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006
                  >John Rethorst wrote:
                  >
                  >Make a folder at some convenient place in OSX, and select it in SS
                  >prefs as a transfer folder. Put anything in that folder; it will
                  >show up in SS and vice versa.

                  Can SS access folders within folders within the transfer folder? If
                  so, you could designate your OS X Documents folder or Home folder as
                  the transfer folder.
                  --

                  Bob Stern
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006

                    > Can SS access folders within folders within the transfer folder?

                    Yes. You also have complete control over folder contents: make subfolders,
                    move files etc. from SS as well as from OSX. Something like two OSX windows
                    of the contents of one folder.

                    > If so, you could designate your OS X Documents folder or Home folder as
                    > the transfer folder.

                    Yes, but the ATPM article (at http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml)
                    says:

                    > It is not recommended that this path be to the root level of your
                    > hard drive nor to your home folder.

                    No reason given, but the caution is also in the SS author's help pages
                    (at http://www.gibix.net/projects/sheepshaver/help/). It may be a
                    memory issue. My OSX documents folder is probably the one I'll end
                    up designating IAC.