I take it back (re: WP RUNS ON INTEL!)

  • John Sandel
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 15, 2006
      The page to which John linked details the steps for Sheepshaver. Any
      tips you have, though, John, based on your experience, will be much
      appreciated.

      JS
    • Bob Thompson
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 18, 2006
        I third that, a step by step setup guide would be very appreciated

        Thanks

        Bob

        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 19, 2006
          I'll get to work on it. I want to try a setup with
          Basilisk first, though, since one of the original
          WP programmers (who's on this list) said that enough
          of WP is 68K code that a 68K emulator, e.g. Basilisk,
          might run faster than a PPC emulator like SheepShaver.
          Interesting, since I'd thought that the speed-
          critical parts of WP were all recoded in PPC for
          that release.

          What I really should do, for whichever emulator
          runs faster, is put all the parts on a CD image
          along with an Applescript installer. Would anyone
          like to host a 400mb image?

          John R.
        • Kevin McCoy
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 19, 2006
            The time critical parts are all (translated, thanks to Microlytics
            68K->PPC cross compiler) in PPC. The conversions and some other minor
            parts are in 68K. So, unless you are doing a lot of file opening/
            saving from other formats you probably wont see a difference in
            speed, unless the PPC emulator is slower than the 68K emulator. Or
            vice-versa.
            YMMV

            On Oct 19, 2006, at 7:23 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

            > I'll get to work on it. I want to try a setup with
            > Basilisk first, though, since one of the original
            > WP programmers (who's on this list) said that enough
            > of WP is 68K code that a 68K emulator, e.g. Basilisk,
            > might run faster than a PPC emulator like SheepShaver.
            > Interesting, since I'd thought that the speed-
            > critical parts of WP were all recoded in PPC for
            > that release.

          • kevin
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 19, 2006
              Do you know what cpu basilik emulates (68000-68060)? could make a big difference too. Why not seed an image on Bittorent? that would be great.

              John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote: I'll get to work on it. I want to try a setup with
              Basilisk first, though, since one of the original
              WP programmers (who's on this list) said that enough
              of WP is 68K code that a 68K emulator, e.g. Basilisk,
              might run faster than a PPC emulator like SheepShaver.
              Interesting, since I'd thought that the speed-
              critical parts of WP were all recoded in PPC for
              that release.

              What I really should do, for whichever emulator
              runs faster, is put all the parts on a CD image
              along with an Applescript installer. Would anyone
              like to host a 400mb image?

              John R.

              click here to visit my website www.myspace.com/kevin242

              This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please promptly contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

            • marco_merken
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 19, 2006
                Hello John,

                if you will send me the image, I can place it on my webpages for download.

                Regrads,
                Marco

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006

                  > And very nicely too!
                  >
                  > I'm using the free SheepShaver emulator, which is easy enough to install.
                  > But I couldn't get it to boot from anything but an OS install CD, although
                  > I had manually put a copy of OS 8.6 where it should be. So I tried
                  > installing OS 8.6 from the CD, and SheepShaver now works fine, and
                  > runs WordPerfect with no issues that I can see.
                  >
                  > This is on a MacBook Pro, 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo chip, 1 GB RAM. Comparing
                  > speed with a 1.25 Ghz PPC G4 iMac with 1 GB RAM, I spell-checked a
                  > 48,000 word WP document with footnotes. The iMac took 16 seconds; the
                  > Intel took 20 seconds. In normal use, speed is indistinguishable between
                  > the two machines.

                  I installed Basilisk II today, using the well-written instructions at
                  http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml. Running it with OS 7.6 on the
                  MacBook, WordPerfect spellchecked this document in 23 seconds. Again,
                  everything works.

                  More to come . . .

                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                    In the Photos section here, you can see the screenshot I took (with my
                    primitive cell phone camera) of WP on the MacBook Pro screen.

                    Full screen height, as much width as I wanted (I left room for icons at
                    the far right), full menu bar. In fact, that's the only difference I can
                    see between emulation on Intel via SheepShaver and emulation on a
                    PPC Mac via Classic - the former places a Classic menu bar immediately
                    below the OSX menu bar.

                    SheepShaver itself appears in the dock when running and, like any
                    application, can be put there permanently, as well as being set as a
                    startup item for your user account.

                    I don't see a whole lot of difference between SS and Classic. As an
                    earlier post notes, SS on a Macbook takes 20 seconds to spell-check
                    48,000 words including footnotes, while Classic on a G4 takes 16.
                    Intel chips are going to keep getting faster, of course.

                    I don't want to wager whether it will be one year or two before
                    WordPerfect runs faster than it ever has before.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                      Oh yes - Gero Herrmann's Spotlight plug-in, which he wrote as a
                      universal binary (so an Intel Mac will index WP documents whether
                      SheepShaver, or anything else, is installed), works just fine too.

                      John R.
                    • hacky8sack
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006
                        John,
                        OK, this all sounds fabulous, and should allow all of us to continue
                        to use wp3.5e into the future. But one question: can you access the
                        file structure of OSX from within wp while running on SS? Can one
                        directly open and save files resident in the directory of OSX? If not,
                        what's the workaround?
                        Steve

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "hacky8sack" <hacky8sack@...> wrote:

                          > can you access the
                          > file structure of OSX from within wp while running on SS? Can one
                          > directly open and save files resident in the directory of OSX?

                          It's close. Make a folder at some convenient place in OSX, and select
                          it in SS prefs as a transfer folder. Put anything in that folder; it will
                          show up in SS and vice versa.

                          John R.
                        • Bob Stern
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006
                            >John Rethorst wrote:
                            >
                            >Make a folder at some convenient place in OSX, and select it in SS
                            >prefs as a transfer folder. Put anything in that folder; it will
                            >show up in SS and vice versa.

                            Can SS access folders within folders within the transfer folder? If
                            so, you could designate your OS X Documents folder or Home folder as
                            the transfer folder.
                            --

                            Bob Stern
                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006

                              > Can SS access folders within folders within the transfer folder?

                              Yes. You also have complete control over folder contents: make subfolders,
                              move files etc. from SS as well as from OSX. Something like two OSX windows
                              of the contents of one folder.

                              > If so, you could designate your OS X Documents folder or Home folder as
                              > the transfer folder.

                              Yes, but the ATPM article (at http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml)
                              says:

                              > It is not recommended that this path be to the root level of your
                              > hard drive nor to your home folder.

                              No reason given, but the caution is also in the SS author's help pages
                              (at http://www.gibix.net/projects/sheepshaver/help/). It may be a
                              memory issue. My OSX documents folder is probably the one I'll end
                              up designating IAC.