Re: [wpmac] WP RUNS ON INTEL!

    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 15, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, kevin <ksaunders242@...> wrote:

      > Good for you it is nice to it is working for you. I think Apple could of
      > released some kind of integrated Classic OS emulator with the Intel
      > Macs it owuld of been a nice gesture.

      Yep. Also, since I understand a lot of users still depend on that Classic
      program or two. FrameMaker, with which Apple has published a few
      books, such as the AppleScript Language Guide, never made it to OSX.
      Specialties like statistics too.

      Third parties have often led the way. When Connectix released RAM
      Doubler, Apple redid its memory management as much out of
      embarassment as anything else, or so I heard. Maybe SheepShaver's
      ease of use and speed will make Steve reconsider.

      Meanwhile, WP in emulation is running fine. Everything feels as fast.
      All the prefs work as usual.

      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 15, 2006

        > John
        >
        > When you say you "tried installing OS8.6 from the CD", do you mean
        > that you ran the install within Sheepshaver or that you can run the
        > install programme for 8.6 on an intel mac regardless. I'm guessing
        > that you start up sheepshaver with the install disk in the CD drive
        > (otherwise sheepshaver won't start) and then install the OS 8.6 on
        > the hard disk. Yes?

        Correct.

        John R.
      • David R. Derbes
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 15, 2006
          John, this is great. Many thanks.

          Can you (or someone with some time, if you are too busy) write up
          idiot-proof instructions for exactly what to do to make this happen
          on a random Intel Mac? (and remember, some of us idiots are pretty
          damn thick!)

          Many thanks again!

          Best wishes,
          David Derbes
          (who plans to buy a Mac Pro in the next four or five months, and who has
          fifteen years of old files in WPMac...)

          On Sun, 15 Oct 2006, John Rethorst wrote:

          > And very nicely too!
          >
          > I'm using the free SheepShaver emulator, which is easy enough to install.
          > But I couldn't get it to boot from anything but an OS install CD, although
          > I had manually put a copy of OS 8.6 where it should be. So I tried
          > installing OS 8.6 from the CD, and SheepShaver now works fine, and
          > runs WordPerfect with no issues that I can see.
          >
          > This is on a MacBook Pro, 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo chip, 1 GB RAM. Comparing
          > speed with a 1.25 Ghz PPC G4 iMac with 1 GB RAM, I spell-checked a
          > 48,000 word WP document with footnotes. The iMac took 16 seconds; the
          > Intel took 20 seconds. In normal use, speed is indistinguishable between
          > the two machines.
          >
          > I learned about SheepShaver at http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml.
          >
          > I'll post more as I work with it.
          >
          > YAY!
          >
          > John R.

        • John Sandel
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 15, 2006
            Second David's request. I've followed the "Sheepshaver Chronicles"
            here & would be grateful for a brief step-by-step by whomever has
            accomplished this�& the time to write it up.

            Call it the Cold Dead Fingers tutorial.

            JS

            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 15, 2006
              The page to which John linked details the steps for Sheepshaver. Any
              tips you have, though, John, based on your experience, will be much
              appreciated.

              JS
            • Bob Thompson
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 18, 2006
                I third that, a step by step setup guide would be very appreciated

                Thanks

                Bob

                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 19, 2006
                  I'll get to work on it. I want to try a setup with
                  Basilisk first, though, since one of the original
                  WP programmers (who's on this list) said that enough
                  of WP is 68K code that a 68K emulator, e.g. Basilisk,
                  might run faster than a PPC emulator like SheepShaver.
                  Interesting, since I'd thought that the speed-
                  critical parts of WP were all recoded in PPC for
                  that release.

                  What I really should do, for whichever emulator
                  runs faster, is put all the parts on a CD image
                  along with an Applescript installer. Would anyone
                  like to host a 400mb image?

                  John R.
                • Kevin McCoy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Oct 19, 2006
                    The time critical parts are all (translated, thanks to Microlytics
                    68K->PPC cross compiler) in PPC. The conversions and some other minor
                    parts are in 68K. So, unless you are doing a lot of file opening/
                    saving from other formats you probably wont see a difference in
                    speed, unless the PPC emulator is slower than the 68K emulator. Or
                    vice-versa.
                    YMMV

                    On Oct 19, 2006, at 7:23 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

                    > I'll get to work on it. I want to try a setup with
                    > Basilisk first, though, since one of the original
                    > WP programmers (who's on this list) said that enough
                    > of WP is 68K code that a 68K emulator, e.g. Basilisk,
                    > might run faster than a PPC emulator like SheepShaver.
                    > Interesting, since I'd thought that the speed-
                    > critical parts of WP were all recoded in PPC for
                    > that release.

                  • kevin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 19, 2006
                      Do you know what cpu basilik emulates (68000-68060)? could make a big difference too. Why not seed an image on Bittorent? that would be great.

                      John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote: I'll get to work on it. I want to try a setup with
                      Basilisk first, though, since one of the original
                      WP programmers (who's on this list) said that enough
                      of WP is 68K code that a 68K emulator, e.g. Basilisk,
                      might run faster than a PPC emulator like SheepShaver.
                      Interesting, since I'd thought that the speed-
                      critical parts of WP were all recoded in PPC for
                      that release.

                      What I really should do, for whichever emulator
                      runs faster, is put all the parts on a CD image
                      along with an Applescript installer. Would anyone
                      like to host a 400mb image?

                      John R.

                      click here to visit my website www.myspace.com/kevin242

                      This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please promptly contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

                    • marco_merken
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 19, 2006
                        Hello John,

                        if you will send me the image, I can place it on my webpages for download.

                        Regrads,
                        Marco

                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006

                          > And very nicely too!
                          >
                          > I'm using the free SheepShaver emulator, which is easy enough to install.
                          > But I couldn't get it to boot from anything but an OS install CD, although
                          > I had manually put a copy of OS 8.6 where it should be. So I tried
                          > installing OS 8.6 from the CD, and SheepShaver now works fine, and
                          > runs WordPerfect with no issues that I can see.
                          >
                          > This is on a MacBook Pro, 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo chip, 1 GB RAM. Comparing
                          > speed with a 1.25 Ghz PPC G4 iMac with 1 GB RAM, I spell-checked a
                          > 48,000 word WP document with footnotes. The iMac took 16 seconds; the
                          > Intel took 20 seconds. In normal use, speed is indistinguishable between
                          > the two machines.

                          I installed Basilisk II today, using the well-written instructions at
                          http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml. Running it with OS 7.6 on the
                          MacBook, WordPerfect spellchecked this document in 23 seconds. Again,
                          everything works.

                          More to come . . .

                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                            In the Photos section here, you can see the screenshot I took (with my
                            primitive cell phone camera) of WP on the MacBook Pro screen.

                            Full screen height, as much width as I wanted (I left room for icons at
                            the far right), full menu bar. In fact, that's the only difference I can
                            see between emulation on Intel via SheepShaver and emulation on a
                            PPC Mac via Classic - the former places a Classic menu bar immediately
                            below the OSX menu bar.

                            SheepShaver itself appears in the dock when running and, like any
                            application, can be put there permanently, as well as being set as a
                            startup item for your user account.

                            I don't see a whole lot of difference between SS and Classic. As an
                            earlier post notes, SS on a Macbook takes 20 seconds to spell-check
                            48,000 words including footnotes, while Classic on a G4 takes 16.
                            Intel chips are going to keep getting faster, of course.

                            I don't want to wager whether it will be one year or two before
                            WordPerfect runs faster than it ever has before.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Oct 28, 2006
                              Oh yes - Gero Herrmann's Spotlight plug-in, which he wrote as a
                              universal binary (so an Intel Mac will index WP documents whether
                              SheepShaver, or anything else, is installed), works just fine too.

                              John R.
                            • hacky8sack
                              Message 14 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006
                                John,
                                OK, this all sounds fabulous, and should allow all of us to continue
                                to use wp3.5e into the future. But one question: can you access the
                                file structure of OSX from within wp while running on SS? Can one
                                directly open and save files resident in the directory of OSX? If not,
                                what's the workaround?
                                Steve

                                Message 15 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006
                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "hacky8sack" <hacky8sack@...> wrote:

                                  > can you access the
                                  > file structure of OSX from within wp while running on SS? Can one
                                  > directly open and save files resident in the directory of OSX?

                                  It's close. Make a folder at some convenient place in OSX, and select
                                  it in SS prefs as a transfer folder. Put anything in that folder; it will
                                  show up in SS and vice versa.

                                  John R.
                                • Bob Stern
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006
                                    >John Rethorst wrote:
                                    >
                                    >Make a folder at some convenient place in OSX, and select it in SS
                                    >prefs as a transfer folder. Put anything in that folder; it will
                                    >show up in SS and vice versa.

                                    Can SS access folders within folders within the transfer folder? If
                                    so, you could designate your OS X Documents folder or Home folder as
                                    the transfer folder.
                                    --

                                    Bob Stern
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Oct 29, 2006

                                      > Can SS access folders within folders within the transfer folder?

                                      Yes. You also have complete control over folder contents: make subfolders,
                                      move files etc. from SS as well as from OSX. Something like two OSX windows
                                      of the contents of one folder.

                                      > If so, you could designate your OS X Documents folder or Home folder as
                                      > the transfer folder.

                                      Yes, but the ATPM article (at http://www.atpm.com/12.09/classic.shtml)
                                      says:

                                      > It is not recommended that this path be to the root level of your
                                      > hard drive nor to your home folder.

                                      No reason given, but the caution is also in the SS author's help pages
                                      (at http://www.gibix.net/projects/sheepshaver/help/). It may be a
                                      memory issue. My OSX documents folder is probably the one I'll end
                                      up designating IAC.