Sorting out the iTunes AppleScript

  • Alan Greene
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2006
      I appreciate you walking me through this, John,

      "The rain in Spain" script worked fine.

      Just so you are aware, when I tried to run the script in your message
      #3417 (after deleting the 2 ¬ and the hard returns after), I got the
      following Syntax Error message: Expected “given”, “with”, “without”,
      other parameter name, etc. but found identifier. The line it referred to
      was: "Make list of:" default items defaultChoices with multiple
      selections ¬ Not knowing any better, I deleted the ¬ and the hard return
      following. I ran the edited script and got the connection error,
      highlighting the next to last line: make window with data "" & choiceList.

      Thanks,
      Alan
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 14, 2006
        I've uploaded the script and documentation to the Files section here,
        as "iTunes > WP". Let me know if this already-compiled script doesn't
        run on your machine (the first time you run it, it may ask you where
        iTunes and WP are).

        It makes a list of songs you've selected in iTunes, makes a new window
        in WP, and pastes the list. You can choose what data types you want
        to include, e.g. Play Order, Composer, Title, Artist, Time etc.

        There are a couple of minor enhancements to the uploaded script
        as compared to what I posted earlier.

        John R.

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Alan Greene <apgreene@...> wrote:

        > I appreciate you walking me through this, John,
        >
        > "The rain in Spain" script worked fine.
        >
        > Just so you are aware, when I tried to run the script in your message
        > #3417 (after deleting the 2 ¬ and the hard returns after), I got the
        > following Syntax Error message: Expected "given", "with", "without",
        > other parameter name, etc. but found identifier. The line it referred to
        > was: "Make list of:" default items defaultChoices with multiple
        > selections ¬ Not knowing any better, I deleted the ¬ and the hard return
        > following. I ran the edited script and got the connection error,
        > highlighting the next to last line: make window with data "" & choiceList.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Alan

      • strongrunning1
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 16, 2006
          Thanks for your good work, John. Regret to say that the newly uploaded
          script still doesn't work for me. When Classic is running but WP is
          not, the script opens WP, but then hangs (I get an AppleScript timed
          out message). When WP is open, a new window opens, WP quits, and a
          "connection is invalid" message appears. Perhaps I'm the only one with
          this problem.

          I can drag and drop selected playlist entries onto WP okay, so maybe
          I'll have to content myself with that.

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 22, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "strongrunning1" <apgreene@...> wrote:

            > I can drag and drop selected playlist entries onto WP okay, so maybe
            > I'll have to content myself with that.

            Stranger and stranger . . . I can't drag anything from iTunes (7.0.1) into WP.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 22, 2006
              John

              I can copy and paste (not very neatly) into WP, but I can't drag and
              drop a playlist

              Geoff

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 22, 2006

                > I can copy and paste (not very neatly) into WP, but I can't drag and
                > drop a playlist

                Copy/paste works here too.

                IAC I've updated the iTunes > WP script to v. 1.0.1. This should work
                better especially with OS 7.5-9. Free in the Files section here.