Re: WP Disc Full Error in Classic Mode

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

      > How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text

      Select the table by triple-clicking in a corner cell and dragging to the
      opposite corner. From the Table menu, choose Table to Text… and in
      the dialog, choose Tab-Delimited.

      > and then convert that back to a table in Word?

      Select the tab-delimited text and, from the Table menu, choose
      Insert Table.

      Since posting that, I tried dragging an intact table from WP to Word.
      Works fine and saves these steps.

      John R.
    • Stephen Goff
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
        --- wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

        > Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
        > application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
        > clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
        > and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

        Something to try: Select one of your files you want to
        open, hit apple-I to open the information window, and
        click on the "Open with" menu. If it's listed as an
        option, choose "Corel Wordperfect". If not, choose
        "Other" and navigate to your Applications OS9 folder
        and find your wp3.5e file. Use this to set the "Open
        with" application.
        Then hit the "Change All.." button. Do an OS9 restart.
        This may change the default application for you.
        Steve

        > Thanks.
        >
        > Helkan48
        > (W. Alpern)

      • Daryl Ngee Chinn
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
          Wayne,

          I took a table—the entire table, and not just the text—and Drag and Dropped it into a
          Word file. You might try making sure grabbed the table itself. Start with a space or so
          before the table and highlighting all the way to a space or line below the table, just to be
          sure.

          > Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
          > doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
          > graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
          > won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
          > file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
          > highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
          > into some strange little box.

          I think (don't know for sure) that if you have both 3.1 and 3.5e in your system, the file will
          open in 3.1. You can verify this by dragging 3.1 to the Trash (instead of deleting it) and
          then clicking on the relevant file. Should do the trick. Don't know if you have to empty
          the Trash first, but you shouldn't have to.

          Daryl

        • Daryl Ngee Chinn
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
            > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.

            Yes, this works, and it's simpler.

            Or, if you press
            > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
            > Word alone?

            Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the date.

            Daryl

            > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
            > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
            >
            > John R.

          • Bob Thompson
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 12, 2006
              If you get the disk full error when opening WP files in classic - go to
              System Preferences -> Classic and open the classic preferences.

              Holding down the Option key click on the Memory button, this will open up a
              slider for adjusting the memory. For some reason it doesn't matter if you
              give it more or less memory as long as you move the slider and then go and
              re-start classic and all will be OK

              Bob Thompson

              On 9/9/06, Daryl Ngee Chinn <darylngee@...> wrote:

              > > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.
              >
              > Yes, this works, and it's simpler.
              >
              > Or, if you press
              > > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while
              > leaving
              > > Word alone?
              >
              > Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the
              > date.
              >
              > Daryl
              >

              > > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging
              > > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
              > >
              > > John R.

            • wayne alpern
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                Steve's and Smokey's suggestion works great, and WP
                3.5 now opens my old 3.1 files directly with a click.
                Thanks! I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                resource must be together in the same location" unless
                I open the application first by itself, which would be
                nice to get rid of if someone can tell me how, but
                that's too not much of a hassle anyway.

                I've tried all the table dragging solutions suggested
                but they just don't work for me, except John's save as
                text idea. Even with that though there's a lot of
                editing necessary. Basically I'm finding in the
                process that Word has more powerful table functions
                than WP anyway, and have slowly been reconstructing my
                tables in the new application. It's taking forever,
                but in the end will probably be better.

                At some point, unless WP decides to honor the Mac
                community and dedicated users like us, it's time for
                me at least to move on and say it's been nice.

                Wayne

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                  > I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                  > resource must be together in the same location" unless
                  > I open the application first by itself, which would be
                  > nice to get rid of

                  Have you tried rebuilding the [OS 9] desktop?

                  John R.
                • wayne alpern
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                    Tried that John, no luck.