Re: [wpmac] WP Disc Full Error in Classic Mode

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

      > The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
      > tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
      > middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
      > wasn't a complete download.

      Downloads fine here. Have you tried another browser?

      > I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
      > it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
      > converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
      > a conversion file?

      A conversion file is required to translate WP docs to RTF.
      WP's RTF filter doesn't do tables especially well. What
      I'd do is convert a table to tab-delimited text and convert
      that back to a table in Word.

      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn" <darylngee@...> wrote:

        > Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
        > containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot
        > you want the table to go.
        >
        > Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
        > document spot (known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
        > and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
        > table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
        > However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc,
        > you will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand.

        Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving. Or, if you press
        command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
        Word alone?

        I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
        table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.

        John R.
      • wayne alpern
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
          How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text
          and then convert that back to a table in Word?

          Helkan48
          (W. Alpern)

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

            > How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text

            Select the table by triple-clicking in a corner cell and dragging to the
            opposite corner. From the Table menu, choose Table to Text… and in
            the dialog, choose Tab-Delimited.

            > and then convert that back to a table in Word?

            Select the tab-delimited text and, from the Table menu, choose
            Insert Table.

            Since posting that, I tried dragging an intact table from WP to Word.
            Works fine and saves these steps.

            John R.
          • Stephen Goff
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
              --- wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

              > Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
              > application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
              > clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
              > and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

              Something to try: Select one of your files you want to
              open, hit apple-I to open the information window, and
              click on the "Open with" menu. If it's listed as an
              option, choose "Corel Wordperfect". If not, choose
              "Other" and navigate to your Applications OS9 folder
              and find your wp3.5e file. Use this to set the "Open
              with" application.
              Then hit the "Change All.." button. Do an OS9 restart.
              This may change the default application for you.
              Steve

              > Thanks.
              >
              > Helkan48
              > (W. Alpern)

            • Daryl Ngee Chinn
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                Wayne,

                I took a table—the entire table, and not just the text—and Drag and Dropped it into a
                Word file. You might try making sure grabbed the table itself. Start with a space or so
                before the table and highlighting all the way to a space or line below the table, just to be
                sure.

                > Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
                > doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
                > graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
                > won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
                > file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
                > highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
                > into some strange little box.

                I think (don't know for sure) that if you have both 3.1 and 3.5e in your system, the file will
                open in 3.1. You can verify this by dragging 3.1 to the Trash (instead of deleting it) and
                then clicking on the relevant file. Should do the trick. Don't know if you have to empty
                the Trash first, but you shouldn't have to.

                Daryl

              • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                  > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.

                  Yes, this works, and it's simpler.

                  Or, if you press
                  > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                  > Word alone?

                  Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the date.

                  Daryl

                  > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                  > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                  >
                  > John R.

                • Bob Thompson
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 12, 2006
                    If you get the disk full error when opening WP files in classic - go to
                    System Preferences -> Classic and open the classic preferences.

                    Holding down the Option key click on the Memory button, this will open up a
                    slider for adjusting the memory. For some reason it doesn't matter if you
                    give it more or less memory as long as you move the slider and then go and
                    re-start classic and all will be OK

                    Bob Thompson

                    On 9/9/06, Daryl Ngee Chinn <darylngee@...> wrote:

                    > > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.
                    >
                    > Yes, this works, and it's simpler.
                    >
                    > Or, if you press
                    > > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while
                    > leaving
                    > > Word alone?
                    >
                    > Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the
                    > date.
                    >
                    > Daryl
                    >

                    > > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging
                    > > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                    > >
                    > > John R.

                  • wayne alpern
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                      Steve's and Smokey's suggestion works great, and WP
                      3.5 now opens my old 3.1 files directly with a click.
                      Thanks! I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                      resource must be together in the same location" unless
                      I open the application first by itself, which would be
                      nice to get rid of if someone can tell me how, but
                      that's too not much of a hassle anyway.

                      I've tried all the table dragging solutions suggested
                      but they just don't work for me, except John's save as
                      text idea. Even with that though there's a lot of
                      editing necessary. Basically I'm finding in the
                      process that Word has more powerful table functions
                      than WP anyway, and have slowly been reconstructing my
                      tables in the new application. It's taking forever,
                      but in the end will probably be better.

                      At some point, unless WP decides to honor the Mac
                      community and dedicated users like us, it's time for
                      me at least to move on and say it's been nice.

                      Wayne

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                        > I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                        > resource must be together in the same location" unless
                        > I open the application first by itself, which would be
                        > nice to get rid of

                        Have you tried rebuilding the [OS 9] desktop?

                        John R.
                      • wayne alpern
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                          Tried that John, no luck.