Re: [wpmac] WP Disc Full Error in Classic Mode

  • Daryl Ngee Chinn
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006

      > 2. When I open a WP file, save it as an RTF, and then open and save it
      > again as Word doc, all my tables from WP are hopelessly screwed up.
      > They don't survive the conversion. Any way to salvage them?

      Try this (I have WP 3.5e and Word X updated on a Powerbook G4)

      Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
      containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot you
      want the table to go.

      Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
      document spot(known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
      and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
      table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
      However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc, you
      will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand. And you
      would not want to throw away your original WP doc because you like keeping things
      or...just to be safe...or...

      From my experimenting, it appears one can, in Word X, manipulate the borders and sizes
      of the table I moved over.

      Daryl
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
        A while back I mentioned that the entire Classic environment is limited
        to a small, fixed memory partition. At the time I didn't have a citation
        for this. Here is one.

        Mac OS X limits the amount of RAM shared among all Classic
        applications to 128MB or less.

        Randy B. Singer

        MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • wayne alpern
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
          The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
          tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
          middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
          wasn't a complete download. I was able to download:

          DCA Import
          DataViz WP Translations
          ebgif2.flt
          Dictionary Conversions
          Bitmap Graphics Imports

          I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
          it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
          converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
          a conversion file?

          Helkan48
          (W. Alpern)

          --- John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

          > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "helkan48"
          > <helkan48@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I had some trouble downloading the
          > > Conversions, but it seems to work.
          >
          > What kind of trouble?

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • wayne alpern
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
            Daryl,

            Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
            doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
            graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
            won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
            file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
            highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
            into some strange little box. No luck with cut and
            paste either. I have many complex WP tables to
            transfer, so if anyone has another way to move them
            into a W doc, please let me know.

            Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
            application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
            clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
            and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

            Thanks.

            Helkan48
            (W. Alpern)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

              > The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
              > tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
              > middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
              > wasn't a complete download.

              Downloads fine here. Have you tried another browser?

              > I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
              > it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
              > converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
              > a conversion file?

              A conversion file is required to translate WP docs to RTF.
              WP's RTF filter doesn't do tables especially well. What
              I'd do is convert a table to tab-delimited text and convert
              that back to a table in Word.

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn" <darylngee@...> wrote:

                > Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
                > containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot
                > you want the table to go.
                >
                > Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
                > document spot (known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
                > and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
                > table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
                > However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc,
                > you will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand.

                Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving. Or, if you press
                command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                Word alone?

                I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.

                John R.
              • wayne alpern
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                  How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text
                  and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                    > How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text

                    Select the table by triple-clicking in a corner cell and dragging to the
                    opposite corner. From the Table menu, choose Table to Text… and in
                    the dialog, choose Tab-Delimited.

                    > and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                    Select the tab-delimited text and, from the Table menu, choose
                    Insert Table.

                    Since posting that, I tried dragging an intact table from WP to Word.
                    Works fine and saves these steps.

                    John R.
                  • Stephen Goff
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                      --- wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                      > Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
                      > application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
                      > clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
                      > and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

                      Something to try: Select one of your files you want to
                      open, hit apple-I to open the information window, and
                      click on the "Open with" menu. If it's listed as an
                      option, choose "Corel Wordperfect". If not, choose
                      "Other" and navigate to your Applications OS9 folder
                      and find your wp3.5e file. Use this to set the "Open
                      with" application.
                      Then hit the "Change All.." button. Do an OS9 restart.
                      This may change the default application for you.
                      Steve

                      > Thanks.
                      >
                      > Helkan48
                      > (W. Alpern)

                    • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                        Wayne,

                        I took a table—the entire table, and not just the text—and Drag and Dropped it into a
                        Word file. You might try making sure grabbed the table itself. Start with a space or so
                        before the table and highlighting all the way to a space or line below the table, just to be
                        sure.

                        > Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
                        > doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
                        > graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
                        > won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
                        > file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
                        > highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
                        > into some strange little box.

                        I think (don't know for sure) that if you have both 3.1 and 3.5e in your system, the file will
                        open in 3.1. You can verify this by dragging 3.1 to the Trash (instead of deleting it) and
                        then clicking on the relevant file. Should do the trick. Don't know if you have to empty
                        the Trash first, but you shouldn't have to.

                        Daryl

                      • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                          > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.

                          Yes, this works, and it's simpler.

                          Or, if you press
                          > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                          > Word alone?

                          Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the date.

                          Daryl

                          > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                          > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                          >
                          > John R.

                        • Bob Thompson
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 12, 2006
                            If you get the disk full error when opening WP files in classic - go to
                            System Preferences -> Classic and open the classic preferences.

                            Holding down the Option key click on the Memory button, this will open up a
                            slider for adjusting the memory. For some reason it doesn't matter if you
                            give it more or less memory as long as you move the slider and then go and
                            re-start classic and all will be OK

                            Bob Thompson

                            On 9/9/06, Daryl Ngee Chinn <darylngee@...> wrote:

                            > > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.
                            >
                            > Yes, this works, and it's simpler.
                            >
                            > Or, if you press
                            > > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while
                            > leaving
                            > > Word alone?
                            >
                            > Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the
                            > date.
                            >
                            > Daryl
                            >

                            > > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging
                            > > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                            > >
                            > > John R.

                          • wayne alpern
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                              Steve's and Smokey's suggestion works great, and WP
                              3.5 now opens my old 3.1 files directly with a click.
                              Thanks! I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                              resource must be together in the same location" unless
                              I open the application first by itself, which would be
                              nice to get rid of if someone can tell me how, but
                              that's too not much of a hassle anyway.

                              I've tried all the table dragging solutions suggested
                              but they just don't work for me, except John's save as
                              text idea. Even with that though there's a lot of
                              editing necessary. Basically I'm finding in the
                              process that Word has more powerful table functions
                              than WP anyway, and have slowly been reconstructing my
                              tables in the new application. It's taking forever,
                              but in the end will probably be better.

                              At some point, unless WP decides to honor the Mac
                              community and dedicated users like us, it's time for
                              me at least to move on and say it's been nice.

                              Wayne

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                > I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                                > resource must be together in the same location" unless
                                > I open the application first by itself, which would be
                                > nice to get rid of

                                Have you tried rebuilding the [OS 9] desktop?

                                John R.
                              • wayne alpern
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                  Tried that John, no luck.