Re: [wpmac] WP Disc Full Error in Classic Mode

    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "helkan48" <helkan48@...> wrote:

      > I had some trouble downloading the
      > Conversions, but it seems to work.

      What kind of trouble?

      John R.
    • Daryl Ngee Chinn
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006

        > 2. When I open a WP file, save it as an RTF, and then open and save it
        > again as Word doc, all my tables from WP are hopelessly screwed up.
        > They don't survive the conversion. Any way to salvage them?

        Try this (I have WP 3.5e and Word X updated on a Powerbook G4)

        Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
        containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot you
        want the table to go.

        Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
        document spot(known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
        and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
        table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
        However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc, you
        will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand. And you
        would not want to throw away your original WP doc because you like keeping things
        or...just to be safe...or...

        From my experimenting, it appears one can, in Word X, manipulate the borders and sizes
        of the table I moved over.

        Daryl
      • Randy B. Singer
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
          A while back I mentioned that the entire Classic environment is limited
          to a small, fixed memory partition. At the time I didn't have a citation
          for this. Here is one.

          Mac OS X limits the amount of RAM shared among all Classic
          applications to 128MB or less.

          Randy B. Singer

          MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
        • wayne alpern
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
            The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
            tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
            middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
            wasn't a complete download. I was able to download:

            DCA Import
            DataViz WP Translations
            ebgif2.flt
            Dictionary Conversions
            Bitmap Graphics Imports

            I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
            it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
            converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
            a conversion file?

            Helkan48
            (W. Alpern)

            --- John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "helkan48"
            > <helkan48@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I had some trouble downloading the
            > > Conversions, but it seems to work.
            >
            > What kind of trouble?

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • wayne alpern
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
              Daryl,

              Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
              doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
              graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
              won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
              file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
              highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
              into some strange little box. No luck with cut and
              paste either. I have many complex WP tables to
              transfer, so if anyone has another way to move them
              into a W doc, please let me know.

              Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
              application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
              clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
              and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

              Thanks.

              Helkan48
              (W. Alpern)

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                > The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
                > tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
                > middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
                > wasn't a complete download.

                Downloads fine here. Have you tried another browser?

                > I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
                > it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
                > converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
                > a conversion file?

                A conversion file is required to translate WP docs to RTF.
                WP's RTF filter doesn't do tables especially well. What
                I'd do is convert a table to tab-delimited text and convert
                that back to a table in Word.

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn" <darylngee@...> wrote:

                  > Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
                  > containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot
                  > you want the table to go.
                  >
                  > Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
                  > document spot (known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
                  > and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
                  > table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
                  > However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc,
                  > you will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand.

                  Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving. Or, if you press
                  command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                  Word alone?

                  I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                  table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.

                  John R.
                • wayne alpern
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                    How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text
                    and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                      > How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text

                      Select the table by triple-clicking in a corner cell and dragging to the
                      opposite corner. From the Table menu, choose Table to Text… and in
                      the dialog, choose Tab-Delimited.

                      > and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                      Select the tab-delimited text and, from the Table menu, choose
                      Insert Table.

                      Since posting that, I tried dragging an intact table from WP to Word.
                      Works fine and saves these steps.

                      John R.
                    • Stephen Goff
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                        --- wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                        > Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
                        > application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
                        > clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
                        > and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

                        Something to try: Select one of your files you want to
                        open, hit apple-I to open the information window, and
                        click on the "Open with" menu. If it's listed as an
                        option, choose "Corel Wordperfect". If not, choose
                        "Other" and navigate to your Applications OS9 folder
                        and find your wp3.5e file. Use this to set the "Open
                        with" application.
                        Then hit the "Change All.." button. Do an OS9 restart.
                        This may change the default application for you.
                        Steve

                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > Helkan48
                        > (W. Alpern)

                      • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                          Wayne,

                          I took a table—the entire table, and not just the text—and Drag and Dropped it into a
                          Word file. You might try making sure grabbed the table itself. Start with a space or so
                          before the table and highlighting all the way to a space or line below the table, just to be
                          sure.

                          > Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
                          > doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
                          > graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
                          > won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
                          > file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
                          > highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
                          > into some strange little box.

                          I think (don't know for sure) that if you have both 3.1 and 3.5e in your system, the file will
                          open in 3.1. You can verify this by dragging 3.1 to the Trash (instead of deleting it) and
                          then clicking on the relevant file. Should do the trick. Don't know if you have to empty
                          the Trash first, but you shouldn't have to.

                          Daryl

                        • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                            > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.

                            Yes, this works, and it's simpler.

                            Or, if you press
                            > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                            > Word alone?

                            Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the date.

                            Daryl

                            > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                            > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                            >
                            > John R.

                          • Bob Thompson
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 12, 2006
                              If you get the disk full error when opening WP files in classic - go to
                              System Preferences -> Classic and open the classic preferences.

                              Holding down the Option key click on the Memory button, this will open up a
                              slider for adjusting the memory. For some reason it doesn't matter if you
                              give it more or less memory as long as you move the slider and then go and
                              re-start classic and all will be OK

                              Bob Thompson

                              On 9/9/06, Daryl Ngee Chinn <darylngee@...> wrote:

                              > > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.
                              >
                              > Yes, this works, and it's simpler.
                              >
                              > Or, if you press
                              > > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while
                              > leaving
                              > > Word alone?
                              >
                              > Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the
                              > date.
                              >
                              > Daryl
                              >

                              > > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging
                              > > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                              > >
                              > > John R.

                            • wayne alpern
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                Steve's and Smokey's suggestion works great, and WP
                                3.5 now opens my old 3.1 files directly with a click.
                                Thanks! I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                                resource must be together in the same location" unless
                                I open the application first by itself, which would be
                                nice to get rid of if someone can tell me how, but
                                that's too not much of a hassle anyway.

                                I've tried all the table dragging solutions suggested
                                but they just don't work for me, except John's save as
                                text idea. Even with that though there's a lot of
                                editing necessary. Basically I'm finding in the
                                process that Word has more powerful table functions
                                than WP anyway, and have slowly been reconstructing my
                                tables in the new application. It's taking forever,
                                but in the end will probably be better.

                                At some point, unless WP decides to honor the Mac
                                community and dedicated users like us, it's time for
                                me at least to move on and say it's been nice.

                                Wayne

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                  > I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                                  > resource must be together in the same location" unless
                                  > I open the application first by itself, which would be
                                  > nice to get rid of

                                  Have you tried rebuilding the [OS 9] desktop?

                                  John R.
                                • wayne alpern
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                    Tried that John, no luck.