Re: [wpmac] WP Disc Full Error in Classic Mode

  • Daryl Ngee Chinn
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 5, 2006
      Usually this error
      > message will not reappear.

      What I meant here was, it won't reappear this time. It will reappear
      now and then, and the only thing you can do is to re-start System 9
      again.

      Daryl
    • cewyattphoto
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 5, 2006
        W -

        Why convert to RTF (within WP3.1?), when you can convert your files
        directly into Word? If you can find Office for OS9, and open the files
        into Word; they will then open up in the OSX versions, as well. Of
        course, if you are talking about a formatting issue, that's something
        else. How large are these files?

        Chad Wyatt
      • helkan48
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
          Thank you all so much for your help! You saved the day. I downloaded
          3.5e and now I can open all my old WP files. The material on line from
          John Rethorst is invaluable. I had some trouble downloading the
          Conversions, but it seems to work. I can open and save WP files as WP
          docs or RTFs.

          I am using RTFs as an intermediary between WP and Word because I only
          have Word X, which requires OSX. I wish I could avoid the middle step,
          which is a pain. This is the only way I knew how to do this. If I can
          get ahold of Word for OS9, will that open the WP files directly? Is
          Word for OS9 available on the web?

          Two other questions:

          1. When I click on a WP file, the Word application grabs it first and
          tries unsuccessfully to open it in Word. The only way I can open a WP
          file is to open the WP 3.5e application first, and then open the file
          from the WP menu. Any way to get Word to back off? Can't seem to find
          any preference making it a default word processor.

          2. When I open a WP file, save it as an RTF, and then open and save it
          again as Word doc, all my tables from WP are hopelessly screwed up.
          They don't survive the conversion. Any way to salvage them?

          Thanks so much for this awesome help. I was doomed without it!

          Helkan48
          (W. Alpern)
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

            > There is a known bug in the 3.1 version that gives you this "disk
            > full" error on disk volumes that are over 2 GB in size (there is a
            > slight chance it will work because of the way the math is done to
            > calculate drive free space, but most of the time it will fail). This
            > was fixed in the 3.5.4 (and 3.5e) versions.
            >
            > What problems with the 3.5 version were you having? Was it the 3.5e
            > (patched) version?

            There's no reason I can think of for anyone to use anything earlier than
            3.5e patched:

            - it's much more stable than any earlier version

            - it's an easy download/install/update

            - the price is right

            It's also not a bad idea to reinstall a program from the original
            archive after a few years. Use of the installed copy can lead to small
            amounts of miscellaneous corruption in it, or "bit rot", such as when
            an application crashes. Don't forget to archive your Library before a
            reinstall.

            John R.
          • Stephen Goff
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
              I convert a lot of WP files to WORD (usually to send
              to someone in the MS world). My experience...
              1. My routine is to use WP3.5e to save in RTF and open
              the RTF with Word. This is almost always perfect and
              will probably work for you.
              2. I usually cannot get Word to open WP files
              directly, either in OS9 or X. And I have more
              formatting troubles if I use WP3.5e to save in Word
              format and open that in Word. The RTF is better.
              3. I've also had very good luck using Abiword running
              in OSX to open WP files and save them in Word format.
              Then I can open these with Word. If you move to an
              Intel machine, Abiword should still work to do this
              conversion for you. It's available for download at
              http://www.abisource.com/download/
              Steve

              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
                I don't know if it will solve the table problem, but I save direct to
                Word6 format that opened in OSX's Word X when I had it and still
                does in Word 2004.

                Geoff

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "helkan48" <helkan48@...> wrote:

                  > I had some trouble downloading the
                  > Conversions, but it seems to work.

                  What kind of trouble?

                  John R.
                • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006

                    > 2. When I open a WP file, save it as an RTF, and then open and save it
                    > again as Word doc, all my tables from WP are hopelessly screwed up.
                    > They don't survive the conversion. Any way to salvage them?

                    Try this (I have WP 3.5e and Word X updated on a Powerbook G4)

                    Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
                    containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot you
                    want the table to go.

                    Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
                    document spot(known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
                    and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
                    table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
                    However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc, you
                    will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand. And you
                    would not want to throw away your original WP doc because you like keeping things
                    or...just to be safe...or...

                    From my experimenting, it appears one can, in Word X, manipulate the borders and sizes
                    of the table I moved over.

                    Daryl
                  • Randy B. Singer
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                      A while back I mentioned that the entire Classic environment is limited
                      to a small, fixed memory partition. At the time I didn't have a citation
                      for this. Here is one.

                      Mac OS X limits the amount of RAM shared among all Classic
                      applications to 128MB or less.

                      Randy B. Singer

                      MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
                      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                    • wayne alpern
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                        The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
                        tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
                        middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
                        wasn't a complete download. I was able to download:

                        DCA Import
                        DataViz WP Translations
                        ebgif2.flt
                        Dictionary Conversions
                        Bitmap Graphics Imports

                        I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
                        it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
                        converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
                        a conversion file?

                        Helkan48
                        (W. Alpern)

                        --- John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                        > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "helkan48"
                        > <helkan48@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I had some trouble downloading the
                        > > Conversions, but it seems to work.
                        >
                        > What kind of trouble?

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • wayne alpern
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                          Daryl,

                          Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
                          doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
                          graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
                          won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
                          file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
                          highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
                          into some strange little box. No luck with cut and
                          paste either. I have many complex WP tables to
                          transfer, so if anyone has another way to move them
                          into a W doc, please let me know.

                          Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
                          application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
                          clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
                          and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

                          Thanks.

                          Helkan48
                          (W. Alpern)

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                            > The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
                            > tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
                            > middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
                            > wasn't a complete download.

                            Downloads fine here. Have you tried another browser?

                            > I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
                            > it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
                            > converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
                            > a conversion file?

                            A conversion file is required to translate WP docs to RTF.
                            WP's RTF filter doesn't do tables especially well. What
                            I'd do is convert a table to tab-delimited text and convert
                            that back to a table in Word.

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn" <darylngee@...> wrote:

                              > Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
                              > containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot
                              > you want the table to go.
                              >
                              > Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
                              > document spot (known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
                              > and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
                              > table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
                              > However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc,
                              > you will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand.

                              Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving. Or, if you press
                              command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                              Word alone?

                              I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                              table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.

                              John R.
                            • wayne alpern
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                                How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text
                                and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                  > How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text

                                  Select the table by triple-clicking in a corner cell and dragging to the
                                  opposite corner. From the Table menu, choose Table to Text… and in
                                  the dialog, choose Tab-Delimited.

                                  > and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                                  Select the tab-delimited text and, from the Table menu, choose
                                  Insert Table.

                                  Since posting that, I tried dragging an intact table from WP to Word.
                                  Works fine and saves these steps.

                                  John R.
                                • Stephen Goff
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                                    --- wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                    > Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
                                    > application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
                                    > clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
                                    > and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

                                    Something to try: Select one of your files you want to
                                    open, hit apple-I to open the information window, and
                                    click on the "Open with" menu. If it's listed as an
                                    option, choose "Corel Wordperfect". If not, choose
                                    "Other" and navigate to your Applications OS9 folder
                                    and find your wp3.5e file. Use this to set the "Open
                                    with" application.
                                    Then hit the "Change All.." button. Do an OS9 restart.
                                    This may change the default application for you.
                                    Steve

                                    > Thanks.
                                    >
                                    > Helkan48
                                    > (W. Alpern)

                                  • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                                      Wayne,

                                      I took a table—the entire table, and not just the text—and Drag and Dropped it into a
                                      Word file. You might try making sure grabbed the table itself. Start with a space or so
                                      before the table and highlighting all the way to a space or line below the table, just to be
                                      sure.

                                      > Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
                                      > doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
                                      > graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
                                      > won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
                                      > file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
                                      > highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
                                      > into some strange little box.

                                      I think (don't know for sure) that if you have both 3.1 and 3.5e in your system, the file will
                                      open in 3.1. You can verify this by dragging 3.1 to the Trash (instead of deleting it) and
                                      then clicking on the relevant file. Should do the trick. Don't know if you have to empty
                                      the Trash first, but you shouldn't have to.

                                      Daryl

                                    • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                                        > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.

                                        Yes, this works, and it's simpler.

                                        Or, if you press
                                        > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                                        > Word alone?

                                        Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the date.

                                        Daryl

                                        > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                                        > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                                        >
                                        > John R.

                                      • Bob Thompson
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 12, 2006
                                          If you get the disk full error when opening WP files in classic - go to
                                          System Preferences -> Classic and open the classic preferences.

                                          Holding down the Option key click on the Memory button, this will open up a
                                          slider for adjusting the memory. For some reason it doesn't matter if you
                                          give it more or less memory as long as you move the slider and then go and
                                          re-start classic and all will be OK

                                          Bob Thompson

                                          On 9/9/06, Daryl Ngee Chinn <darylngee@...> wrote:

                                          > > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.
                                          >
                                          > Yes, this works, and it's simpler.
                                          >
                                          > Or, if you press
                                          > > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while
                                          > leaving
                                          > > Word alone?
                                          >
                                          > Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the
                                          > date.
                                          >
                                          > Daryl
                                          >

                                          > > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging
                                          > > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                                          > >
                                          > > John R.

                                        • wayne alpern
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                            Steve's and Smokey's suggestion works great, and WP
                                            3.5 now opens my old 3.1 files directly with a click.
                                            Thanks! I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                                            resource must be together in the same location" unless
                                            I open the application first by itself, which would be
                                            nice to get rid of if someone can tell me how, but
                                            that's too not much of a hassle anyway.

                                            I've tried all the table dragging solutions suggested
                                            but they just don't work for me, except John's save as
                                            text idea. Even with that though there's a lot of
                                            editing necessary. Basically I'm finding in the
                                            process that Word has more powerful table functions
                                            than WP anyway, and have slowly been reconstructing my
                                            tables in the new application. It's taking forever,
                                            but in the end will probably be better.

                                            At some point, unless WP decides to honor the Mac
                                            community and dedicated users like us, it's time for
                                            me at least to move on and say it's been nice.

                                            Wayne

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                              > I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                                              > resource must be together in the same location" unless
                                              > I open the application first by itself, which would be
                                              > nice to get rid of

                                              Have you tried rebuilding the [OS 9] desktop?

                                              John R.
                                            • wayne alpern
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                                Tried that John, no luck.