Re: [wpmac] WP Disc Full Error in Classic Mode

  • Kevin McCoy
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 5, 2006
      There is a known bug in the 3.1 version that gives you this "disk
      full" error on disk volumes that are over 2 GB in size (there is a
      slight chance it will work because of the way the math is done to
      calculate drive free space, but most of the time it will fail). This
      was fixed in the 3.5.4 (and 3.5e) versions.

      What problems with the 3.5 version were you having? Was it the 3.5e
      (patched) version?

      -Kevin

      On Sep 5, 2006, at 9:14 AM, helkan48 wrote:

      > Help! As a long time WP Mac user, I've had a terrible time converting
      > to OSX, using WP in Classic mode, and ultimately converting many large
      > files via RTF files to MS Word. I am running OS 10.2 and WP 3.1
      > because I had problems with 3.5. But at this point, I can't even open
      > most of my WP Mac files in Classic mode because I get a false "Disc
      > Full Error (-34)". My disc has plenty of space. It will open smaller
      > WP Mac files, but not big documents. Even those that will open can't
      > be saved as a WP document because they generate a "Disc Full: Please
      > Exit WordPerfect" prompt. They can be saved as RTF file though. I've
      > tried increasing the memory allocation but that hasn't worked. Are you
      > familiar with this problem, and is there anything I can do to correct
      > it? Despite my fond memories of WP Mac, all I want to do is convert
      > these all files to RTF's and then to MS Word. But if I can't open
      > them, that's impossible. The problem is even more urgent because I'm
      > about to get a new Mac-Intel computer which has no Classic mode at
      > all. Appreciate any guidance!
      >
      > Desperately,
      >
      > Helkan48
      > (W. Alpern)
    • Daryl Ngee Chinn
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 5, 2006
        I would recommend two things.

        1) Upgrade to WP 3.5e, which is downloadable at this site.
        You should then be able to open these WP 3.1 files. However, IF

        2) this "Disc Full" error message occurs (again or ever), Restart
        System 9, and then use 3.5e to open your files. Usually this error
        message will not reappear.

        I still have my WP 3.5.4 (the version before 3.5e) on my computer.
        If I try to open both, I will get a conflict message and can't open
        the second version (whatever that happens to be). I'm fairly sure
        this upgrade to 3.5e will work for your needs, and it should even
        bring over any customized macros that you've written. I don't
        think I need both versions, but I'm a packrat, and it doesn't appear
        to do any damage. WP 3.5e downloads fairly quickly. Good luck, and
        let us know if it works.

        Daryl

        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

        > There is a known bug in the 3.1 version that gives you this "disk
        > full" error on disk volumes that are over 2 GB in size (there is
        > slight chance it will work because of the way the math is done to
        > calculate drive free space, but most of the time it will fail).
        This
        > was fixed in the 3.5.4 (and 3.5e) versions.
        >
        > What problems with the 3.5 version were you having? Was it the
        3.5e
        > (patched) version?
        >
        > -Kevin
        >
        > On Sep 5, 2006, at 9:14 AM, helkan48 wrote:
        >
        > > Help! As a long time WP Mac user, I've had a terrible time
        converting
        > > to OSX, using WP in Classic mode, and ultimately converting many
        large
        > > files via RTF files to MS Word. I am running OS 10.2 and WP 3.1
        > > because I had problems with 3.5. But at this point, I can't even
        open
        > > most of my WP Mac files in Classic mode because I get a
        false "Disc
        > > Full Error (-34)". My disc has plenty of space. It will open
        smaller
        > > WP Mac files, but not big documents. Even those that will open
        can't
        > > be saved as a WP document because they generate a "Disc Full:
        Please
        > > Exit WordPerfect" prompt. They can be saved as RTF file though.
        I've
        > > tried increasing the memory allocation but that hasn't worked.
        Are you
        > > familiar with this problem, and is there anything I can do to
        correct
        > > it? Despite my fond memories of WP Mac, all I want to do is
        convert
        > > these all files to RTF's and then to MS Word. But if I can't open
        > > them, that's impossible. The problem is even more urgent because
        I'm
        > > about to get a new Mac-Intel computer which has no Classic mode
        at
        > > all. Appreciate any guidance!
        > >
        > > Desperately,
        > >
        > > Helkan48
        > > (W. Alpern)

      • Daryl Ngee Chinn
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 5, 2006
          Usually this error
          > message will not reappear.

          What I meant here was, it won't reappear this time. It will reappear
          now and then, and the only thing you can do is to re-start System 9
          again.

          Daryl
        • cewyattphoto
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 5, 2006
            W -

            Why convert to RTF (within WP3.1?), when you can convert your files
            directly into Word? If you can find Office for OS9, and open the files
            into Word; they will then open up in the OSX versions, as well. Of
            course, if you are talking about a formatting issue, that's something
            else. How large are these files?

            Chad Wyatt
          • helkan48
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
              Thank you all so much for your help! You saved the day. I downloaded
              3.5e and now I can open all my old WP files. The material on line from
              John Rethorst is invaluable. I had some trouble downloading the
              Conversions, but it seems to work. I can open and save WP files as WP
              docs or RTFs.

              I am using RTFs as an intermediary between WP and Word because I only
              have Word X, which requires OSX. I wish I could avoid the middle step,
              which is a pain. This is the only way I knew how to do this. If I can
              get ahold of Word for OS9, will that open the WP files directly? Is
              Word for OS9 available on the web?

              Two other questions:

              1. When I click on a WP file, the Word application grabs it first and
              tries unsuccessfully to open it in Word. The only way I can open a WP
              file is to open the WP 3.5e application first, and then open the file
              from the WP menu. Any way to get Word to back off? Can't seem to find
              any preference making it a default word processor.

              2. When I open a WP file, save it as an RTF, and then open and save it
              again as Word doc, all my tables from WP are hopelessly screwed up.
              They don't survive the conversion. Any way to salvage them?

              Thanks so much for this awesome help. I was doomed without it!

              Helkan48
              (W. Alpern)
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

                > There is a known bug in the 3.1 version that gives you this "disk
                > full" error on disk volumes that are over 2 GB in size (there is a
                > slight chance it will work because of the way the math is done to
                > calculate drive free space, but most of the time it will fail). This
                > was fixed in the 3.5.4 (and 3.5e) versions.
                >
                > What problems with the 3.5 version were you having? Was it the 3.5e
                > (patched) version?

                There's no reason I can think of for anyone to use anything earlier than
                3.5e patched:

                - it's much more stable than any earlier version

                - it's an easy download/install/update

                - the price is right

                It's also not a bad idea to reinstall a program from the original
                archive after a few years. Use of the installed copy can lead to small
                amounts of miscellaneous corruption in it, or "bit rot", such as when
                an application crashes. Don't forget to archive your Library before a
                reinstall.

                John R.
              • Stephen Goff
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
                  I convert a lot of WP files to WORD (usually to send
                  to someone in the MS world). My experience...
                  1. My routine is to use WP3.5e to save in RTF and open
                  the RTF with Word. This is almost always perfect and
                  will probably work for you.
                  2. I usually cannot get Word to open WP files
                  directly, either in OS9 or X. And I have more
                  formatting troubles if I use WP3.5e to save in Word
                  format and open that in Word. The RTF is better.
                  3. I've also had very good luck using Abiword running
                  in OSX to open WP files and save them in Word format.
                  Then I can open these with Word. If you move to an
                  Intel machine, Abiword should still work to do this
                  conversion for you. It's available for download at
                  http://www.abisource.com/download/
                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
                    I don't know if it will solve the table problem, but I save direct to
                    Word6 format that opened in OSX's Word X when I had it and still
                    does in Word 2004.

                    Geoff

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 6, 2006
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "helkan48" <helkan48@...> wrote:

                      > I had some trouble downloading the
                      > Conversions, but it seems to work.

                      What kind of trouble?

                      John R.
                    • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006

                        > 2. When I open a WP file, save it as an RTF, and then open and save it
                        > again as Word doc, all my tables from WP are hopelessly screwed up.
                        > They don't survive the conversion. Any way to salvage them?

                        Try this (I have WP 3.5e and Word X updated on a Powerbook G4)

                        Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
                        containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot you
                        want the table to go.

                        Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
                        document spot(known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
                        and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
                        table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
                        However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc, you
                        will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand. And you
                        would not want to throw away your original WP doc because you like keeping things
                        or...just to be safe...or...

                        From my experimenting, it appears one can, in Word X, manipulate the borders and sizes
                        of the table I moved over.

                        Daryl
                      • Randy B. Singer
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                          A while back I mentioned that the entire Classic environment is limited
                          to a small, fixed memory partition. At the time I didn't have a citation
                          for this. Here is one.

                          Mac OS X limits the amount of RAM shared among all Classic
                          applications to 128MB or less.

                          Randy B. Singer

                          MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
                          http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                        • wayne alpern
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                            The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
                            tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
                            middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
                            wasn't a complete download. I was able to download:

                            DCA Import
                            DataViz WP Translations
                            ebgif2.flt
                            Dictionary Conversions
                            Bitmap Graphics Imports

                            I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
                            it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
                            converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
                            a conversion file?

                            Helkan48
                            (W. Alpern)

                            --- John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                            > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "helkan48"
                            > <helkan48@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I had some trouble downloading the
                            > > Conversions, but it seems to work.
                            >
                            > What kind of trouble?

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • wayne alpern
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                              Daryl,

                              Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
                              doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
                              graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
                              won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
                              file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
                              highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
                              into some strange little box. No luck with cut and
                              paste either. I have many complex WP tables to
                              transfer, so if anyone has another way to move them
                              into a W doc, please let me know.

                              Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
                              application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
                              clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
                              and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

                              Thanks.

                              Helkan48
                              (W. Alpern)

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                > The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
                                > tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
                                > middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
                                > wasn't a complete download.

                                Downloads fine here. Have you tried another browser?

                                > I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
                                > it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
                                > converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
                                > a conversion file?

                                A conversion file is required to translate WP docs to RTF.
                                WP's RTF filter doesn't do tables especially well. What
                                I'd do is convert a table to tab-delimited text and convert
                                that back to a table in Word.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn" <darylngee@...> wrote:

                                  > Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
                                  > containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot
                                  > you want the table to go.
                                  >
                                  > Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
                                  > document spot (known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
                                  > and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
                                  > table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
                                  > However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc,
                                  > you will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand.

                                  Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving. Or, if you press
                                  command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                                  Word alone?

                                  I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                                  table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.

                                  John R.
                                • wayne alpern
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                                    How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text
                                    and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 7, 2006
                                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                      > How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text

                                      Select the table by triple-clicking in a corner cell and dragging to the
                                      opposite corner. From the Table menu, choose Table to Text… and in
                                      the dialog, choose Tab-Delimited.

                                      > and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                                      Select the tab-delimited text and, from the Table menu, choose
                                      Insert Table.

                                      Since posting that, I tried dragging an intact table from WP to Word.
                                      Works fine and saves these steps.

                                      John R.
                                    • Stephen Goff
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                                        --- wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                        > Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
                                        > application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
                                        > clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
                                        > and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

                                        Something to try: Select one of your files you want to
                                        open, hit apple-I to open the information window, and
                                        click on the "Open with" menu. If it's listed as an
                                        option, choose "Corel Wordperfect". If not, choose
                                        "Other" and navigate to your Applications OS9 folder
                                        and find your wp3.5e file. Use this to set the "Open
                                        with" application.
                                        Then hit the "Change All.." button. Do an OS9 restart.
                                        This may change the default application for you.
                                        Steve

                                        > Thanks.
                                        >
                                        > Helkan48
                                        > (W. Alpern)

                                      • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                                          Wayne,

                                          I took a table—the entire table, and not just the text—and Drag and Dropped it into a
                                          Word file. You might try making sure grabbed the table itself. Start with a space or so
                                          before the table and highlighting all the way to a space or line below the table, just to be
                                          sure.

                                          > Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
                                          > doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
                                          > graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
                                          > won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
                                          > file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
                                          > highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
                                          > into some strange little box.

                                          I think (don't know for sure) that if you have both 3.1 and 3.5e in your system, the file will
                                          open in 3.1. You can verify this by dragging 3.1 to the Trash (instead of deleting it) and
                                          then clicking on the relevant file. Should do the trick. Don't know if you have to empty
                                          the Trash first, but you shouldn't have to.

                                          Daryl

                                        • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 8, 2006
                                            > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.

                                            Yes, this works, and it's simpler.

                                            Or, if you press
                                            > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                                            > Word alone?

                                            Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the date.

                                            Daryl

                                            > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                                            > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                                            >
                                            > John R.

                                          • Bob Thompson
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 12, 2006
                                              If you get the disk full error when opening WP files in classic - go to
                                              System Preferences -> Classic and open the classic preferences.

                                              Holding down the Option key click on the Memory button, this will open up a
                                              slider for adjusting the memory. For some reason it doesn't matter if you
                                              give it more or less memory as long as you move the slider and then go and
                                              re-start classic and all will be OK

                                              Bob Thompson

                                              On 9/9/06, Daryl Ngee Chinn <darylngee@...> wrote:

                                              > > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.
                                              >
                                              > Yes, this works, and it's simpler.
                                              >
                                              > Or, if you press
                                              > > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while
                                              > leaving
                                              > > Word alone?
                                              >
                                              > Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the
                                              > date.
                                              >
                                              > Daryl
                                              >

                                              > > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging
                                              > > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                                              > >
                                              > > John R.

                                            • wayne alpern
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                                Steve's and Smokey's suggestion works great, and WP
                                                3.5 now opens my old 3.1 files directly with a click.
                                                Thanks! I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                                                resource must be together in the same location" unless
                                                I open the application first by itself, which would be
                                                nice to get rid of if someone can tell me how, but
                                                that's too not much of a hassle anyway.

                                                I've tried all the table dragging solutions suggested
                                                but they just don't work for me, except John's save as
                                                text idea. Even with that though there's a lot of
                                                editing necessary. Basically I'm finding in the
                                                process that Word has more powerful table functions
                                                than WP anyway, and have slowly been reconstructing my
                                                tables in the new application. It's taking forever,
                                                but in the end will probably be better.

                                                At some point, unless WP decides to honor the Mac
                                                community and dedicated users like us, it's time for
                                                me at least to move on and say it's been nice.

                                                Wayne

                                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                                  > I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                                                  > resource must be together in the same location" unless
                                                  > I open the application first by itself, which would be
                                                  > nice to get rid of

                                                  Have you tried rebuilding the [OS 9] desktop?

                                                  John R.
                                                • wayne alpern
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 14, 2006
                                                    Tried that John, no luck.