WP Disc Full Error in Classic Mode

  • helkan48
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 5 8:14 AM
      Help! As a long time WP Mac user, I've had a terrible time converting
      to OSX, using WP in Classic mode, and ultimately converting many large
      files via RTF files to MS Word. I am running OS 10.2 and WP 3.1
      because I had problems with 3.5. But at this point, I can't even open
      most of my WP Mac files in Classic mode because I get a false "Disc
      Full Error (-34)". My disc has plenty of space. It will open smaller
      WP Mac files, but not big documents. Even those that will open can't
      be saved as a WP document because they generate a "Disc Full: Please
      Exit WordPerfect" prompt. They can be saved as RTF file though. I've
      tried increasing the memory allocation but that hasn't worked. Are you
      familiar with this problem, and is there anything I can do to correct
      it? Despite my fond memories of WP Mac, all I want to do is convert
      these all files to RTF's and then to MS Word. But if I can't open
      them, that's impossible. The problem is even more urgent because I'm
      about to get a new Mac-Intel computer which has no Classic mode at
      all. Appreciate any guidance!

      Desperately,

      Helkan48
      (W. Alpern)
    • Kevin McCoy
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 5 9:05 AM
        There is a known bug in the 3.1 version that gives you this "disk
        full" error on disk volumes that are over 2 GB in size (there is a
        slight chance it will work because of the way the math is done to
        calculate drive free space, but most of the time it will fail). This
        was fixed in the 3.5.4 (and 3.5e) versions.

        What problems with the 3.5 version were you having? Was it the 3.5e
        (patched) version?

        -Kevin

        On Sep 5, 2006, at 9:14 AM, helkan48 wrote:

        > Help! As a long time WP Mac user, I've had a terrible time converting
        > to OSX, using WP in Classic mode, and ultimately converting many large
        > files via RTF files to MS Word. I am running OS 10.2 and WP 3.1
        > because I had problems with 3.5. But at this point, I can't even open
        > most of my WP Mac files in Classic mode because I get a false "Disc
        > Full Error (-34)". My disc has plenty of space. It will open smaller
        > WP Mac files, but not big documents. Even those that will open can't
        > be saved as a WP document because they generate a "Disc Full: Please
        > Exit WordPerfect" prompt. They can be saved as RTF file though. I've
        > tried increasing the memory allocation but that hasn't worked. Are you
        > familiar with this problem, and is there anything I can do to correct
        > it? Despite my fond memories of WP Mac, all I want to do is convert
        > these all files to RTF's and then to MS Word. But if I can't open
        > them, that's impossible. The problem is even more urgent because I'm
        > about to get a new Mac-Intel computer which has no Classic mode at
        > all. Appreciate any guidance!
        >
        > Desperately,
        >
        > Helkan48
        > (W. Alpern)
      • Daryl Ngee Chinn
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 5 1:37 PM
          I would recommend two things.

          1) Upgrade to WP 3.5e, which is downloadable at this site.
          You should then be able to open these WP 3.1 files. However, IF

          2) this "Disc Full" error message occurs (again or ever), Restart
          System 9, and then use 3.5e to open your files. Usually this error
          message will not reappear.

          I still have my WP 3.5.4 (the version before 3.5e) on my computer.
          If I try to open both, I will get a conflict message and can't open
          the second version (whatever that happens to be). I'm fairly sure
          this upgrade to 3.5e will work for your needs, and it should even
          bring over any customized macros that you've written. I don't
          think I need both versions, but I'm a packrat, and it doesn't appear
          to do any damage. WP 3.5e downloads fairly quickly. Good luck, and
          let us know if it works.

          Daryl

          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

          > There is a known bug in the 3.1 version that gives you this "disk
          > full" error on disk volumes that are over 2 GB in size (there is
          > slight chance it will work because of the way the math is done to
          > calculate drive free space, but most of the time it will fail).
          This
          > was fixed in the 3.5.4 (and 3.5e) versions.
          >
          > What problems with the 3.5 version were you having? Was it the
          3.5e
          > (patched) version?
          >
          > -Kevin
          >
          > On Sep 5, 2006, at 9:14 AM, helkan48 wrote:
          >
          > > Help! As a long time WP Mac user, I've had a terrible time
          converting
          > > to OSX, using WP in Classic mode, and ultimately converting many
          large
          > > files via RTF files to MS Word. I am running OS 10.2 and WP 3.1
          > > because I had problems with 3.5. But at this point, I can't even
          open
          > > most of my WP Mac files in Classic mode because I get a
          false "Disc
          > > Full Error (-34)". My disc has plenty of space. It will open
          smaller
          > > WP Mac files, but not big documents. Even those that will open
          can't
          > > be saved as a WP document because they generate a "Disc Full:
          Please
          > > Exit WordPerfect" prompt. They can be saved as RTF file though.
          I've
          > > tried increasing the memory allocation but that hasn't worked.
          Are you
          > > familiar with this problem, and is there anything I can do to
          correct
          > > it? Despite my fond memories of WP Mac, all I want to do is
          convert
          > > these all files to RTF's and then to MS Word. But if I can't open
          > > them, that's impossible. The problem is even more urgent because
          I'm
          > > about to get a new Mac-Intel computer which has no Classic mode
          at
          > > all. Appreciate any guidance!
          > >
          > > Desperately,
          > >
          > > Helkan48
          > > (W. Alpern)

        • Daryl Ngee Chinn
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 5 2:10 PM
            Usually this error
            > message will not reappear.

            What I meant here was, it won't reappear this time. It will reappear
            now and then, and the only thing you can do is to re-start System 9
            again.

            Daryl
          • cewyattphoto
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 5 3:49 PM
              W -

              Why convert to RTF (within WP3.1?), when you can convert your files
              directly into Word? If you can find Office for OS9, and open the files
              into Word; they will then open up in the OSX versions, as well. Of
              course, if you are talking about a formatting issue, that's something
              else. How large are these files?

              Chad Wyatt
            • helkan48
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 6 10:55 AM
                Thank you all so much for your help! You saved the day. I downloaded
                3.5e and now I can open all my old WP files. The material on line from
                John Rethorst is invaluable. I had some trouble downloading the
                Conversions, but it seems to work. I can open and save WP files as WP
                docs or RTFs.

                I am using RTFs as an intermediary between WP and Word because I only
                have Word X, which requires OSX. I wish I could avoid the middle step,
                which is a pain. This is the only way I knew how to do this. If I can
                get ahold of Word for OS9, will that open the WP files directly? Is
                Word for OS9 available on the web?

                Two other questions:

                1. When I click on a WP file, the Word application grabs it first and
                tries unsuccessfully to open it in Word. The only way I can open a WP
                file is to open the WP 3.5e application first, and then open the file
                from the WP menu. Any way to get Word to back off? Can't seem to find
                any preference making it a default word processor.

                2. When I open a WP file, save it as an RTF, and then open and save it
                again as Word doc, all my tables from WP are hopelessly screwed up.
                They don't survive the conversion. Any way to salvage them?

                Thanks so much for this awesome help. I was doomed without it!

                Helkan48
                (W. Alpern)
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 6 12:12 PM
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Kevin McCoy <kevin@...> wrote:

                  > There is a known bug in the 3.1 version that gives you this "disk
                  > full" error on disk volumes that are over 2 GB in size (there is a
                  > slight chance it will work because of the way the math is done to
                  > calculate drive free space, but most of the time it will fail). This
                  > was fixed in the 3.5.4 (and 3.5e) versions.
                  >
                  > What problems with the 3.5 version were you having? Was it the 3.5e
                  > (patched) version?

                  There's no reason I can think of for anyone to use anything earlier than
                  3.5e patched:

                  - it's much more stable than any earlier version

                  - it's an easy download/install/update

                  - the price is right

                  It's also not a bad idea to reinstall a program from the original
                  archive after a few years. Use of the installed copy can lead to small
                  amounts of miscellaneous corruption in it, or "bit rot", such as when
                  an application crashes. Don't forget to archive your Library before a
                  reinstall.

                  John R.
                • Stephen Goff
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 6 10:27 PM
                    I convert a lot of WP files to WORD (usually to send
                    to someone in the MS world). My experience...
                    1. My routine is to use WP3.5e to save in RTF and open
                    the RTF with Word. This is almost always perfect and
                    will probably work for you.
                    2. I usually cannot get Word to open WP files
                    directly, either in OS9 or X. And I have more
                    formatting troubles if I use WP3.5e to save in Word
                    format and open that in Word. The RTF is better.
                    3. I've also had very good luck using Abiword running
                    in OSX to open WP files and save them in Word format.
                    Then I can open these with Word. If you move to an
                    Intel machine, Abiword should still work to do this
                    conversion for you. It's available for download at
                    http://www.abisource.com/download/
                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 6 11:41 PM
                      I don't know if it will solve the table problem, but I save direct to
                      Word6 format that opened in OSX's Word X when I had it and still
                      does in Word 2004.

                      Geoff

                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 6 11:54 PM
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "helkan48" <helkan48@...> wrote:

                        > I had some trouble downloading the
                        > Conversions, but it seems to work.

                        What kind of trouble?

                        John R.
                      • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 7 8:19 AM

                          > 2. When I open a WP file, save it as an RTF, and then open and save it
                          > again as Word doc, all my tables from WP are hopelessly screwed up.
                          > They don't survive the conversion. Any way to salvage them?

                          Try this (I have WP 3.5e and Word X updated on a Powerbook G4)

                          Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
                          containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot you
                          want the table to go.

                          Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
                          document spot(known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
                          and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
                          table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
                          However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc, you
                          will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand. And you
                          would not want to throw away your original WP doc because you like keeping things
                          or...just to be safe...or...

                          From my experimenting, it appears one can, in Word X, manipulate the borders and sizes
                          of the table I moved over.

                          Daryl
                        • Randy B. Singer
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 7 10:46 AM
                            A while back I mentioned that the entire Classic environment is limited
                            to a small, fixed memory partition. At the time I didn't have a citation
                            for this. Here is one.

                            Mac OS X limits the amount of RAM shared among all Classic
                            applications to 128MB or less.

                            Randy B. Singer

                            MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
                            http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                          • wayne alpern
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 7 12:09 PM
                              The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
                              tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
                              middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
                              wasn't a complete download. I was able to download:

                              DCA Import
                              DataViz WP Translations
                              ebgif2.flt
                              Dictionary Conversions
                              Bitmap Graphics Imports

                              I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
                              it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
                              converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
                              a conversion file?

                              Helkan48
                              (W. Alpern)

                              --- John Rethorst <jrethorst@...> wrote:

                              > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "helkan48"
                              > <helkan48@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I had some trouble downloading the
                              > > Conversions, but it seems to work.
                              >
                              > What kind of trouble?

                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                            • wayne alpern
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 7 1:23 PM
                                Daryl,

                                Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
                                doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
                                graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
                                won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
                                file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
                                highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
                                into some strange little box. No luck with cut and
                                paste either. I have many complex WP tables to
                                transfer, so if anyone has another way to move them
                                into a W doc, please let me know.

                                Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
                                application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
                                clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
                                and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

                                Thanks.

                                Helkan48
                                (W. Alpern)

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 7 2:41 PM
                                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                  > The Conversions file wouldn't download properly. I
                                  > tried it twice, and both times it got stuck in the
                                  > middle, and then seemed to jump to complete, but it
                                  > wasn't a complete download.

                                  Downloads fine here. Have you tried another browser?

                                  > I don't know if there are more conversion files, but
                                  > it seems to be working OK, except my tables are not
                                  > converting from WP to RTF to Word. Would that require
                                  > a conversion file?

                                  A conversion file is required to translate WP docs to RTF.
                                  WP's RTF filter doesn't do tables especially well. What
                                  I'd do is convert a table to tab-delimited text and convert
                                  that back to a table in Word.

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 7 2:50 PM
                                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Daryl Ngee Chinn" <darylngee@...> wrote:

                                    > Lock the WP document you want to move to Word, and then open this WP document
                                    > containing the table. Open your Word document also and place the cursor at the spot
                                    > you want the table to go.
                                    >
                                    > Go to your table, and highlight it. Hold down the mouse and drag it to the Word
                                    > document spot (known as Drag and Drop). The table will appear on your Word document
                                    > and disappear from your WP doc—as if you cut it out (you did). If you want to put the
                                    > table back into your WP doc, go back to it and IMMEDIATELY press Apple-Z (Undo).
                                    > However, that is why you locked the doc first. Otherwise when you close your WP doc,
                                    > you will not be able to save it unless you rename it, since you locked it beforehand.

                                    Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving. Or, if you press
                                    command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                                    Word alone?

                                    I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                                    table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.

                                    John R.
                                  • wayne alpern
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 7 3:31 PM
                                      How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text
                                      and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 7 4:21 PM
                                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                        > How do you convert a WP table to tab-delimited text

                                        Select the table by triple-clicking in a corner cell and dragging to the
                                        opposite corner. From the Table menu, choose Table to Text… and in
                                        the dialog, choose Tab-Delimited.

                                        > and then convert that back to a table in Word?

                                        Select the tab-delimited text and, from the Table menu, choose
                                        Insert Table.

                                        Since posting that, I tried dragging an intact table from WP to Word.
                                        Works fine and saves these steps.

                                        John R.
                                      • Stephen Goff
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 8 4:56 AM
                                          --- wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                          > Also, any way to get WP 3.5e to be the default
                                          > application to open an old WP 3.1 file simply by
                                          > clicking on it, instead of triggering WP 3.1 or Word
                                          > and then having to open it through the 3.5e menu?

                                          Something to try: Select one of your files you want to
                                          open, hit apple-I to open the information window, and
                                          click on the "Open with" menu. If it's listed as an
                                          option, choose "Corel Wordperfect". If not, choose
                                          "Other" and navigate to your Applications OS9 folder
                                          and find your wp3.5e file. Use this to set the "Open
                                          with" application.
                                          Then hit the "Change All.." button. Do an OS9 restart.
                                          This may change the default application for you.
                                          Steve

                                          > Thanks.
                                          >
                                          > Helkan48
                                          > (W. Alpern)

                                        • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 8 11:53 PM
                                            Wayne,

                                            I took a table—the entire table, and not just the text—and Drag and Dropped it into a
                                            Word file. You might try making sure grabbed the table itself. Start with a space or so
                                            before the table and highlighting all the way to a space or line below the table, just to be
                                            sure.

                                            > Your drag and drop method of moving things from a WP
                                            > doc to a W doc is excellent, and I am able to move
                                            > graphic objects like old EPS files this way. But it
                                            > won't work with tables, because unlike an inserted EPS
                                            > file, they are embedded in WP as text. When I drag a
                                            > highlighted table to a W doc, it basically evaporates
                                            > into some strange little box.

                                            I think (don't know for sure) that if you have both 3.1 and 3.5e in your system, the file will
                                            open in 3.1. You can verify this by dragging 3.1 to the Trash (instead of deleting it) and
                                            then clicking on the relevant file. Should do the trick. Don't know if you have to empty
                                            the Trash first, but you shouldn't have to.

                                            Daryl

                                          • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 8 11:57 PM
                                              > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.

                                              Yes, this works, and it's simpler.

                                              Or, if you press
                                              > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while leaving
                                              > Word alone?

                                              Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the date.

                                              Daryl

                                              > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging a
                                              > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                                              >
                                              > John R.

                                            • Bob Thompson
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 12 7:27 AM
                                                If you get the disk full error when opening WP files in classic - go to
                                                System Preferences -> Classic and open the classic preferences.

                                                Holding down the Option key click on the Memory button, this will open up a
                                                slider for adjusting the memory. For some reason it doesn't matter if you
                                                give it more or less memory as long as you move the slider and then go and
                                                re-start classic and all will be OK

                                                Bob Thompson

                                                On 9/9/06, Daryl Ngee Chinn <darylngee@...> wrote:

                                                > > Why bother to lock it? Just close the WP doc without saving.
                                                >
                                                > Yes, this works, and it's simpler.
                                                >
                                                > Or, if you press
                                                > > command-Z with WP active, doesn't it restore the table in WP while
                                                > leaving
                                                > > Word alone?
                                                >
                                                > Yes, but then you have to save to keep the original, and that changes the
                                                > date.
                                                >
                                                > Daryl
                                                >

                                                > > I just dragged a table from WP to Word 2004, and it works fine. Dragging
                                                > > table from Word to WP produces a graphic, though.
                                                > >
                                                > > John R.

                                              • wayne alpern
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 14 5:19 AM
                                                  Steve's and Smokey's suggestion works great, and WP
                                                  3.5 now opens my old 3.1 files directly with a click.
                                                  Thanks! I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                                                  resource must be together in the same location" unless
                                                  I open the application first by itself, which would be
                                                  nice to get rid of if someone can tell me how, but
                                                  that's too not much of a hassle anyway.

                                                  I've tried all the table dragging solutions suggested
                                                  but they just don't work for me, except John's save as
                                                  text idea. Even with that though there's a lot of
                                                  editing necessary. Basically I'm finding in the
                                                  process that Word has more powerful table functions
                                                  than WP anyway, and have slowly been reconstructing my
                                                  tables in the new application. It's taking forever,
                                                  but in the end will probably be better.

                                                  At some point, unless WP decides to honor the Mac
                                                  community and dedicated users like us, it's time for
                                                  me at least to move on and say it's been nice.

                                                  Wayne

                                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 14 8:04 AM
                                                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, wayne alpern <helkan48@...> wrote:

                                                    > I'm still getting "WordPerfect and Language
                                                    > resource must be together in the same location" unless
                                                    > I open the application first by itself, which would be
                                                    > nice to get rid of

                                                    Have you tried rebuilding the [OS 9] desktop?

                                                    John R.
                                                  • wayne alpern
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Sep 14 9:54 AM
                                                      Tried that John, no luck.