SheepShaver

  • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 27, 2006
      This website seems to say that WP, together with a good number of other
      applications, works under SheepShaver, albeit on a Windows machine:

      http://mes.emuunlim.com/macemu/ssx86/working_apps.htm

      Tom
    • billbossart
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 19, 2007
        I upgraded to an Intel iMac and installed 10.5.1. Now was the time for
        me to install SheepSaver. I read through John's very careful
        instructions and printed them. But several times around pp.6 or 7
        things were different on the screen and the printout. I repeated the
        installation without success and then after dinner opened John's
        instructions on screen and tried to follow them gain something
        messed up. I've performed many complicated installation in the past
        sixteen years or so but this stumps me. There were two downloads of
        this installation offered. Did I choose the wrong one? Or is there
        something incompatible with OS 10.5.1? Or am I too stupid or tired to
        see where I am going wrong? Any advice gladly accepted.
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 23, 2007
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "billbossart" <whbossart@...> wrote:

          > I upgraded to an Intel iMac and installed 10.5.1. Now was the time for
          > me to install SheepSaver. I read through John's very careful
          > instructions and printed them. But several times around pp.6 or 7
          > things were different on the screen and the printout. I repeated the
          > installation without success and then after dinner opened John's
          > instructions on screen and tried to follow them gain something
          > messed up. I've performed many complicated installation in the past
          > sixteen years or so but this stumps me. There were two downloads of
          > this installation offered. Did I choose the wrong one? Or is there
          > something incompatible with OS 10.5.1? Or am I too stupid or tired to
          > see where I am going wrong? Any advice gladly accepted.

          There's only one download. Have you tried the SheepShaver Prefs
          utility (in the Files section here)? It's easier than SheepShaverGUI.
          The SheepShaver folder here also has PDF and Powerpoint files showing
          how to install.

          John R.
        • iainmeek
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 24, 2007
            Where is the Sheepshaver download located?

            I have Sheepshaver without WP but find that I can't open existing
            files- only create new ones.

            Thanks in advance

            Iain
          • jackdveirin
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 19, 2008
              I opened a WordPerfect document on my MacBook with SheepShaver. I
              wanted to copy text from the WP document and paste it into an e-mail.
              I could not figure out how to do that. I could copy the text. But,
              it would not paste into the e-mail. Any suggestions? Thanks.

              Jack Dveirin
              New Orleans, LA
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 20, 2008
                Jack

                I typed this reply in WP in Sheepshaver and then pasted it into
                Eudora 6.2.4 in OS X 10.5.3. However, I had to "copy as text", I
                couldn't do a standard Cmd-C copy. John Rethorst(?) has a Copy as
                Text Macro that I've put on Ctrl-C in WP.

                Geoff

                >I opened a WordPerfect document on my MacBook with SheepShaver. I
                >wanted to copy text from the WP document and paste it into an e-mail.
                > I could not figure out how to do that. I could copy the text. But,
                >it would not paste into the e-mail. Any suggestions? Thanks.
                >
                >Jack Dveirin
                >New Orleans, LA

              • jpwav716
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 21, 2008
                  I saved this message from when I had the same problem.
                  I finally get a chance to contribute to this forum.
                  This is from John Rethorst
                  You can copy and paste text, including styled text, to and
                  from WordPerfect in SheepShaver and any OSX application.
                  The way to do this is included in the Using SheepShaver
                  and WP.pdf document included in the distribution, but it
                  could perhaps be clearer.

                  When we say clipboard, we actually mean one of the few
                  clipboards probably active on our Mac at any time. The
                  OS has a clipboard, for use by all running applications,
                  but larger or more sophisticated applications tend to be
                  written with their own clipboards. The application has more
                  control over it and it's faster, but the application and
                  system clipboards then need to talk to each other to transfer
                  data. They do this when you switch applications.

                  When you copy and paste from one OS 9 app to another,
                  or from one OSX app to another, you first select text and
                  choose Copy from the Edit menu. This places the text on
                  application A's clipboard. You then switch to application B
                  to paste.

                  When you brought application B to the front (activated it),
                  application A pasted the contents of its clipboard onto the
                  system clipboard, for use by any other application. When
                  application B came to the front, it copied the contents of the
                  system clipboard, so that text is now on application B's
                  clipboard as well. Then you paste, and the text appears in
                  application B's front window.

                  This works the same way with SheepShaver and WP, but
                  remember that WP is now an application running inside
                  SS, another application, so we need to do a total of one
                  extra mouse click to get the text from one clipboard to
                  the other. So:

                  1) to copy text from WP to any OSX app:

                  select text in WP and copy. This puts the text on WP's
                  clipboard. Then click on the SheepShaver desktop, to
                  bring the Finder to the front. This copies the text from
                  WP's clipboard to SheepShaver' s clipboard. Then switch
                  to the OSX app and paste.

                  2) to copy text from any OSX app to WP:

                  select text in the OSX app and copy. Switch to SheepShaver.
                  If WP is the active app in SS, click on the SS desktop.
                  This copies the text to SS's clipboard. Then click in the
                  WP window. This activates WP and copies the text to
                  WP's clipboard. Then paste.

                  This sounds much more complicated than it is. Just
                  remember to click on the SS desktop on your way to
                  or from WP, and it works fine.

                  John R.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 21, 2008
                    Copy text from the WP document. Click once on the Sheepshaver
                    desktop.Paste the text into the mail message.

                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "jackdveirin" <jdveirin@...> wrote:

                    > I opened a WordPerfect document on my MacBook with SheepShaver. I
                    > wanted to copy text from the WP document and paste it into an e-mail.
                    > I could not figure out how to do that. I could copy the text. But,
                    > it would not paste into the e-mail. Any suggestions? Thanks.
                  • Dick
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 14, 2010
                      I've tried to install SheepShaver on my MacBook, and I think I know
                      why it's not working, but I'd like your advice on how to proceed.

                      I have a SheepShaver folder called SheepShaver folder, containing:

                      SheepShaver
                      BasiliskII_keycodes
                      a folder called shared
                      a file called Mac OS ROM that I have good reason to believe is a
                      compatible ROM file
                      a locked disk image file called macos9800.dmg that purports to be the right disk image.

                      It's the last that I suspect. But the contents look like what I would
                      expect to see in the right disk image.

                      Sheepshaver fails to launch.

                      How would you suggest I proceed?

                      Dick Plotz