Mac Support Groups

  • ernie kurtz
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 16, 2006
      With large and continuing gratitude to this group, especially to John
      and Tom and David, the last of whom especially has been consistently
      helpful beyond any expectation, I think I need to ask for
      recommendations on a general Mac support group, perhaps, if available,
      one specifically treating iBook questions. I will remain here, of
      course, but some of my puzzlements do not concern wordperfect, which I
      now have happily installed, in large part because of the friendly and
      ready generosity of this group's members.

      Thanks to all -- I look forward to hearing your group recommendations.

      ernie kurtz
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 16, 2006
        >ernie kurtz wrote:
        >
        > I need to ask for recommendations on a general Mac support group,
        >perhaps, if available, one specifically treating iBook questions

        This discussion list, for all Apple laptops, is fantastic:
        http://www.listmoms.net/lists/powerlist/index.html
        --

        Bob Stern
      • J.J. McVeigh
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 16, 2006
          Also sprach ernie kurtz:

          >With large and continuing gratitude to this group, especially to John
          >and Tom and David, the last of whom especially has been consistently
          >helpful beyond any expectation, I think I need to ask for
          >recommendations on a general Mac support group, perhaps, if available,
          >one specifically treating iBook questions. I will remain here, of
          >course, but some of my puzzlements do not concern wordperfect, which I
          >now have happily installed, in large part because of the friendly and
          >ready generosity of this group's members.
          >
          >Thanks to all -- I look forward to hearing your group recommendations.

          MacLaw: "A discussion group of attorneys and other professionals
          using Macintosh computers in their practices"

          J.J. McVeigh
        • Mike Detlefsen
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 16, 2006
            The Support Forums at www.apple.com are valuable resource. Apple
            support people even hang out there, and have answered several of my
            questions.

            Mike

            On 16 Aug 2006, at 17:47, ernie kurtz wrote:

            > With large and continuing gratitude to this group, especially to John
            > and Tom and David, the last of whom especially has been consistently
            > helpful beyond any expectation, I think I need to ask for
            > recommendations on a general Mac support group, perhaps, if available,
            > one specifically treating iBook questions. I will remain here, of
            > course, but some of my puzzlements do not concern wordperfect, which I
            > now have happily installed, in large part because of the friendly and
            > ready generosity of this group's members.
            >
            > Thanks to all -- I look forward to hearing your group recommendations.
            >
            > ernie kurtz
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 17, 2006
              I would have recommended the apple support Groups a Year ago. But not
              now. They changed over to a new system back during the winter.

              The old system gave the subject and automatically went to appropriate Group.

              New system is worded similar to:

              Apple support.System OSX.4 was updated by joe blow Jan 1, 1900
              Apple Support.System OSX.4 was updated by jane smith Jan 1, 1900
              Apple Support.System OSX.4 was updated by Ben Jones Jan 1, 1900

              and so on.

              There is no metion of subject matter, what so ever. so there is no way
              to thread subject.

              And on old system if you went to old system and looked at a thread, as
              you progressed in the thread only the item in the thread was added to end.

              If you get into a grouping say as above. You see all the answers in the
              thread evn in the first or 50th answer.

              Also, I had a 1000+ post commenting and answering on various questions.
              When they went to new system I and everyone else lost all trace of our
              running total so I am back to square one credited with about 150 post.

              I am so disenchanted with the new system even though I am still
              subscribed, I just mark as read and go on.

              AS its now set up I wouldn't recommend to no one. Its worse than awful.

              Of the 150 post I expect 100 was sent to the list about the list To
              explain and get these deficiencies fixed. They fell on deaf ears. They
              picked the wrong system And I expect they did to discourage use so they
              could eventual shut down with an excuse that their was low
              participation. THey are getting to be no better than MicroSoft.

              Mike Detlefsen wrote:

              > The Support Forums at www.apple.com are valuable resource. Apple
              > support people even hang out there, and have answered several of my
              > questions.
              >
              > Mike
              >
              > On 16 Aug 2006, at 17:47, ernie kurtz wrote:
              >
              > > With large and continuing gratitude to this group, especially to John
              > > and Tom and David, the last of whom especially has been consistently
              > > helpful beyond any expectation, I think I need to ask for
              > > recommendations on a general Mac support group, perhaps, if available,
              > > one specifically treating iBook questions. I will remain here, of
              > > course, but some of my puzzlements do not concern wordperfect, which I
              > > now have happily installed, in large part because of the friendly and
              > > ready generosity of this group's members.
              > >
              > > Thanks to all -- I look forward to hearing your group recommendations.
              > >
              > > ernie kurtz
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

              mailto:pjones@...

              <http://www.vpea.org>
            • Tim Archer
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 18, 2006
                >ernie kurtz wrote:
                >
                > I need to ask for recommendations on a general Mac support group,
                >perhaps, if available, one specifically treating iBook questions

                I've found the IOMUG group helpful in the past. They are on Yahoo!
                like this group.

                ---Tim Archer
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 21, 2006
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ernie kurtz" <kurtzern@...> wrote:

                  > I think I need to ask for
                  > recommendations on a general Mac support group, perhaps, if available,
                  > one specifically treating iBook questions.

                  I've always had good luck with three usenet (newsgroup protocol) groups:
                  comp.sys.mac.apps, comp.sys.mac.misc, and comp.sys.mac.system.
                  Plenty of expertise and help and, now that laptops are more popular than
                  desktops, plenty for iBooks. The other mac newsgroups are much more
                  sparsely attended. These groups are best read with a program like MT
                  Newswatcher (free), but are also accessible on the web, via groups.google.
                  com.

                  but I don't follow it so don't know how good the expertise is. Ditto for
                  the Apple groups. I do see an interesting difference between usenet and
                  web discussion in the area of classical guitar, though, where I follow
                  discussion both at rec.music.classical.guitar and at a few web-based lists.

                  There's almost a generation gap, with the usenet people sounding much
                  more seasoned and experienced than most people participating on the
                  web. I wonder if that's because usenet is an older protocol.

                  John R.
                • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                    What do you do if your ISP has setup NTTP access (News Access) but their
                    Provider Refuses to fix their news server because they say there is not
                    enough interest. I use to visit and enjoy reading the groups you mention
                    and gave commentary and answers on many of those groups. But Sprint My
                    ISP's provider refuses to fix their news system (Cost more to mantain
                    than they get out of it) in about three years now. I use to Bug my ISP
                    and they would bug Sprint. Finally after them relaying answers to me
                    from Sprint for about 6 months. Made it sound like I was the only person
                    interested in reading ISNET news.

                    I am retired on Disability and can't afford to pay a big price for news
                    reading. I wouldn't mind paying a decent one time a year fee.

                    I'm trying to figure out how to quit my AOL subscription. All that's on
                    there any more is spam. And from what I've been reading this new system
                    they are going to will actually embrace all types of Spam including XXX
                    and stuff I am not interested in. Paying $20 some a month for something
                    I don't use.

                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Jones, C.E.T." <pjones1@...> wrote:

                      > What do you do if your ISP has setup NTTP access (News Access) but their
                      > Provider Refuses to fix their news server because they say there is not
                      > enough interest.

                      Go to http://groups.google.com/. Full usenet access. There have been
                      complaints about Google's interface, but they have two to choose from.

                      > I'm trying to figure out how to quit my AOL subscription.

                      Someone taped their phone call to AOL trying to cancel their subscription,
                      and it was played on a radio news show. They don't like to let you cancel.

                      John R.
                    • villars@hamptons.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                        On Aug 22, 2006, at 4:18 PM, John Rethorst wrote:

                        > Someone taped their phone call to AOL trying to cancel their
                        > subscription,
                        > and it was played on a radio news show. They don't like to let you
                        > cancel.
                        >
                        > John R.
                        >

                        > John,
                        was he freed of aol's tentacles afterwards?
                        Nancy

                        http://www.woodwarddirect.net

                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, villars@... wrote:

                          > was he freed of aol's tentacles afterwards?

                          It was an amusing tape. He kept saying, increasingly louder and
                          more directly, that he wanted to cancel. The customer service rep
                          kept responding with irrelevant questions and offers of upgrades,
                          and then asking questions requiring the customer to justify his
                          wish to cancel. The customer said he did not have to give reasons,
                          finally becoming confrontational enough that the rep said he
                          would cancel. Those are some tentacles.

                          John R.
                        • Ernest Kurtz
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                            Not sure what kind of news you wish to read, Phillip, but there are a
                            very large number of free news sources on just about every topic.
                            ek

                          • pascalos@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                              Le 2006-08-22 à 13:34, Phillip Jones, C.E.T. a écrit :
                              > I am retired on Disability and can't afford to pay a big price for
                              > news
                              > reading. I wouldn't mind paying a decent one time a year fee.
                              Maybe you could consider "Unison Usenet Access" ?

                              Unison Usenet Access is $11.95 a month for 10 gigabytes of monthly
                              transfer.
                              http://www.panic.com/unison/access.php

                              Obligatory note : I have no ties to them (and I don't even use the
                              service), but they have been offering the service ever since Panic
                              launched Unison a few years ago. Considering the quality of Panic's
                              support, I'm guessing the quality of their NNTP service must be
                              excellent.

                              Yours,

                              - Pascal
                            • RBRoufberg@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 22, 2006
                                In a message dated 8/22/06 4:19:07 PM, jrethorst@... writes:

                                > > I'm trying to figure out how to quit my AOL subscription.
                                >
                                > Someone taped their phone call to AOL trying to cancel their subscription,
                                > and it was played on a radio news show. They don't like to let you cancel.
                                >
                                > AOL is going to be free to those who have DSL or cable modems. Beginning
                                next month, only dial-up members will have to pay.

                                Ruth R.

                              • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 23, 2006
                                  Was it from AOL that tapped or the person trying to quit?
                                  If It was AOL I think I could fix it so they would want me off. ;-)

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Aug 23, 2006
                                    Can't you just sign up with another provider and sent aol a
                                    registered/certified letter that as of that date, or a date at the end
                                    of the week or, month, you no longer will pay aol anything because you
                                    have a new provider. I would have that provider in place and active
                                    before you write aol.

                                    I am probably going to switch to optonlione and I was told that I could
                                    have it and hamptons.com for a month before I decide on which one to
                                    keep.
                                    Nancy

                                    On Aug 22, 2006, at 10:02 PM, RBRoufberg@... wrote:

                                    > In a message dated 8/22/06 4:19:07 PM, jrethorst@... writes:
                                    >

                                    >>> I'm trying to figure out how to quit my AOL subscription.
                                    >>
                                    >> Someone taped their phone call to AOL trying to cancel their
                                    >> subscription,
                                    >> and it was played on a radio news show. They don't like to let you
                                    >> cancel.
                                    >>
                                    >> AOL is going to be free to those who have DSL or cable modems.
                                    >> Beginning
                                    > next month, only dial-up members will have to pay.
                                    >
                                    > Ruth R.

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    http://www.eyeonthehamptons.net

                                  • Bob Stern
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Aug 23, 2006
                                      >Phillip Jones, C.E.T. wrote:
                                      >
                                      >I'm trying to figure out how to quit my AOL subscription. All that's
                                      >on there any more is spam. And from what I've been reading this new
                                      >system they are going to will actually embrace all types of Spam
                                      >including XXX and stuff I am not interested in. Paying $20 some a
                                      >month for something I don't use.

                                      If you want a dialup account rather than broadband, AT&T WorldNet is
                                      cheap and reliable. (I use it as a backup for when my Comcast cable
                                      modem goes down.)

                                      Regarding AOL's new free service, they will continue to bill you at
                                      your current rate unless you ask them to switch you to the free
                                      service.
                                      --

                                      Bob Stern
                                    • Bob Stern
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Aug 24, 2006
                                        Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:05:39 -0400
                                        From: "Stephen R. Hendrickx" <shandmal@...>

                                        Hi,
                                        I had this problem when my son died. I called their customer service
                                        and went through a few hoops and had it cancelled. When we wanted to
                                        cancel our AOL when we switched to Comcast, I did the same. It wasn't
                                        truly easy but I was able to get it done. They also don't have their
                                        cust serv number very well posted, it took me a while to hunt for it
                                        but I did. I'm sorry I don't have it right now but a bit of work will
                                        get you there. As I said it wasn't the easiest thing to do but you do
                                        have to call them, I couldn't do it online and when you're doing the
                                        cancellation they'll try so hard to get you to stay, be persistent
                                        and you'll persevere. Good luck.
                                        Steve H.
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Sep 6, 2006
                                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "ernie kurtz" <kurtzern@> wrote:

                                          > I think I need to ask for
                                          > recommendations on a general Mac support group, perhaps, if available,
                                          > one specifically treating iBook questions.

                                          Some more:

                                          http://forums.macnn.com/
                                          http://forums.macrumors.com/
                                          http://www.spymac.com/forums/