Fix for goofy icons for text files in OSX

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2006
      This may have something to do with the Launch Services database,
      which is the OSX equivalent of the OS 9 desktop. I ran OnyX 1.7.1,
      an excellent free maintenance utility for OSX. No change in icon
      appearance, so then (on a hunch - see Malcolm Gladwell's "The
      Power of Thinking without Thinking", maybe) I did a Get Info on the
      file, clicked the icon at the top left of that window, and pressed
      command-X, to cut any superimposed icon. The goofy icon
      disappeared, replaced by the standard WordPerfect text file icon.

      The preceding run of OnyX may have allowed this to happen and,
      IAC, it's an excellent utility. Link to the download in the Links
      section here.

      John R.
    • Bob Stern
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2006
        >John Rethorst wrote:
        >
        >I did a Get Info on the file, clicked the icon at the top left of
        >that window, and pressed command-X, to cut any superimposed icon.
        >The goofy icon disappeared, replaced by the standard WordPerfect
        >text file icon.
        >
        >The preceding run of OnyX may have allowed this to happen and, IAC,
        >it's an excellent utility.

        I often have eliminated weird icons this way. I've never run OnyX,
        so I don't think that had anything to do with it. (The delete key
        works the same as cmd-X.)
        --

        Bob Stern