Re: [wpmac] Any update on making it OS X native?

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 76 , Aug 1, 2006
      Ed Gould said:

      >> True but people are working on a Classic to Intel fix. Wouldn't be
      >> much
      >> different in that than Classic to PowerPC other than they are
      >> converting
      >> from Classic to PC instead of PPC.
      >>
      >---------------SNIP------------------
      >
      >Is this Apple or "other" people?

      It is definitely not Apple. Apple has less than no interest in bringing
      Classic to the Intel-based Macs.

      It also won't be at all like Classic was under OS X. OS 9 applications
      running in Classic under OS X ran at virtually the same speed as they did
      under OS 9. That's because Classic wasn't an emulator, it was OS 9
      running on top of OS X sort of like it was an OS X application.
      Applications ran natively, and at full native speed, in Classic.

      Emulators running classic software on Intel-based Macs running OS X are
      *slow*. Roughly about 1/8th native speed according to the FAQ's for
      SheepShaver. They are also extremely buggy, and difficult to install.
      These drawbacks may never be overcome because Apple is not providing
      these projects with any (much needed) technical assistance.

      The good news is that this emulation software is free because it comes
      from open-source projects. (Though you have to provide your own copy of
      Mac OS 8 or 9, and the Mac OS ROM.) The bad news is that since there is
      no money involved, these projects will more than likely advance slowly.

      There are two groups working on emulation for OS 8/9 software to run on
      Intel-based Macs:

      SheepShaver
      http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver

      Basilisk
      http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:basilisk2

      SheepShaver is the more useful of the two, emulating a PowerPC processor
      and allowing you to run up to OS 9.0.4 Basilisk emulates a Motorola
      680x0 processor and it allows you to run up to OS 8.1.

      So far I haven't heard from a single person who has told me that they are
      successfully using either program to run WordPerfect/Mac, or any other OS
      9 software.

      Randy B. Singer

      MACINTOSH OS X ROUTINE MAINTENANCE
      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • iherp
      Message 76 of 76 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, kevin <ksaunders242@...> wrote:
        > MacOS ROM 1.6 from "MacOS ROM Update 1.0"
        > Where do I get a ROM?

        Here's a page that should help with the links that you need:
        http://theappleblog.com/2006/07/01/classic-on-intel-macs-courtesy-of-sheepshaver/

        However, the link for TomeViewer is dead - but here is one that is active:
        http://www.tucows.com/get/207002_84902