Upgrade to Tiger! (was: problem printing . . .)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2006
      > Sometime ago, I responded to this message by saying I had
      > a similar problem to this posting, but I had a late G4-17
      > Powerbook and a Canon BubbleJet BJC-85 printer and
      > couldn't print WP. Many people, Geoff most notably, and
      > Canon USA, said I should just load and install the latest
      > Canon Classic drivers. Well, you can't do this on these
      > late PowerPC machines. I tried it many times without any
      > luck.

      > I found that Canon's Classic Drivers will only
      > successfully install when if a machine is running Classic,
      > which this late G4 does not do.

      Most OSX driver installers are packages: control-click on
      the icon to show package contents, find the OS 9 driver and
      install it manually.

      But my recommendation is more simple, if not free: upgrade
      to Tiger.

      Apple has called OSX a work in progress, and Tiger is a
      stronger product than Panther or Jaguar in many ways.
      I think if you run OSX you should be on Tiger.

      Spotlight is one of the best features Apple has ever made.
      While I didn't agree with David Pogue that it would change
      the way you use your computer, it comes close. And the
      WordPerfect plug-in is, well . . . perfect.

      Apple radically revised Classic printing in Tiger. Use the
      Laserwriter 8 driver, which comes with Classic, with no
      configuration needed. Excellent control over printing, and
      will print to a PS file, which Preview can open and save as
      PDF.