Re: Any Attorneys Out There?

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 17, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, slakeca41 <slakeca41@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I am wondering if any attorneys belong to this list, and, if so, whether they write or use
      macros that help with their practice. Thanks.

      In another post, I mentioned the Legal Templates.sit file in the Files
      section here. I neglected to say that the Document Experts file also
      has legal materials.

      John R.
    • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 18, 2006
        Yes, I'm here and I do have some custom macros. Most are not law
        specific, but I do have a macro to add signature lines etc. to a
        pleading. To check for unwanted double spaces in a brief or other
        document (previously uploaded) To set up a block quote and return
        to normal margins without resorting to styles, to reset margins and
        add a header to the second and succeeding pages of a letter (thus
        allowing 1st page margins to be set for letterhead). To copy the
        address from a letter and paste it to an envelope and perhaps a few
        others.

        FYI, I've been trying out Nisus Writer Express. In what it does it
        is a superior experience to Word---easier to navigate, more
        intuitive, doesn't lose custom settings, crashes less often and
        launches much more quickly. Still, it isn't as functional as WP Mac
        and the interface uses more screen space to offer it's functionality
        than I would like.

        On the plus side for attorneys, Nisus Writer offers unlimited undoes,
        and non-contiguous text selection.

        I can recommend Nisus for working with rtf formatted documents, but,
        find myself coming back to good old WP Mac for drafting my own
        original documents.

        --
        /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
        Legal Director

        mailto:randall.wilson@...

        Ph: (515) 243 4032
        Fax: (515) 243 8506 (call first)

        NEW email address:
        The ICLUF has changed its name to the "ACLU of Iowa Foundation"
        My new email address is: "randall.wilson@..."

        My old email address will continue to work: mailto:rwilson@...

      • jmdetlefsen
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 19, 2006
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

          > I will stop using WordPerfect when they pry the mouse connected to my
          > dual G5 out of my cold, dead hand.... assuming that a solution that
          > allows Macintel machines to run Classic does not pan out, and that
          > Corel does not see the light and issue an X-native version of WP.
          >
          > ;-)
          >
          > By the way, if you are not already a member, you might be interested
          > in the MacLaw list at Yahoogroups.
          >
          > With best regards,
          >
          > --
          > John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
          > 16230 Falls Road, P.O. Box 63
          > Butler, Maryland 21023-0063
          >
          > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
          > Practice before the Federal Communications Commission
          > Member NY, DC, and USPTO Bars
          > Amateur Radio Operator KD4VS
          >
          > 301.596.1655 Voice
          > 301.596.1656 Telecopier
          > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

          John, I feel much the same way. The Reveal Codes feature is worth its
          weight in gold. I gave up on doing much formatting in Word. Nothing
          ever ended up with the formatting I wanted. I'm trying to get used to
          NeoOffice right now, hoping that will be usable.

          You may remember me from our dealings with the FCC when I worked for
          TN Technologies (Thermo MeasureTech) before it imploded. Hope you are
          doing all right. ever realized you were a Mac user. I used to take my
          Powerbook to work and do most of my work on it.

          Mike Detlefsen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 21, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

            > I will stop using WordPerfect when they pry the mouse connected to my
            > dual G5 out of my cold, dead hand....

            Something like the new graphic in the Photos section. Click once to open
            album and again to open picture.

            > assuming that a solution that
            > allows Macintel machines to run Classic does not pan out,

            Basilisk and SheepShaver (links to both in Links section here) apparently
            both work, and the issue is emulation speed. But I wonder if a fraction
            of native speed on the very fast Intel chips isn't still faster than what most
            of us run now.

            John R.
          • slakeca41
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 21, 2006
              Thank you, John.

              As it happens, in this office we are now having trouble with WordPerfect on our Macs. We use 3.5, and it runs in what seems to be a faux OS9. Documents can, then can't, be saved on the network, and today I noticed that a document that was saved and closed did not, when I reopened it, still have the recent changes I'd made! This is frustrating, and I'd like to know if anyone has experienced similar problems. I suspect the OS9 that opens along with WP is to blame. Does anyone know more?

              Also, should we consider Nissus instead?

              Thanks.

              Eric Howard
              Los Angeles Lawyer magazine

              jmdetlefsen <jmiked@...> wrote: --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" wrote:

              > I will stop using WordPerfect when they pry the mouse connected to my
              > dual G5 out of my cold, dead hand.... assuming that a solution that
              > allows Macintel machines to run Classic does not pan out, and that
              > Corel does not see the light and issue an X-native version of WP.
              >
              > ;-)
              >
              > By the way, if you are not already a member, you might be interested
              > in the MacLaw list at Yahoogroups.
              > .
              >
              > With best regards,
              >
              > --
              > John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
              > 16230 Falls Road, P.O. Box 63
              > Butler, Maryland 21023-0063
              >
              > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
              > Practice before the Federal Communications Commission
              > Member NY, DC, and USPTO Bars
              > Amateur Radio Operator KD4VS
              >
              > 301.596.1655 Voice
              > 301.596.1656 Telecopier
              > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

              John, I feel much the same way. The Reveal Codes feature is worth its
              weight in gold. I gave up on doing much formatting in Word. Nothing
              ever ended up with the formatting I wanted. I'm trying to get used to
              NeoOffice right now, hoping that will be usable.

              You may remember me from our dealings with the FCC when I worked for
              TN Technologies (Thermo MeasureTech) before it imploded. Hope you are
              doing all right. ever realized you were a Mac user. I used to take my
              Powerbook to work and do most of my work on it.

              Mike Detlefsen

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Barney Christianson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 22, 2006

                > >slakeca41 <slakeca41@...> wrote:
                >>>
                >>> Hi, I am wondering if any attorneys belong to this list, and,
                >>>if >>so, whether they write or use
                > >macros that help with their practice. Thanks.

                We set up a library of boiler-plate paragraphs that are common in
                leases, domestic agreements, etc. We have template precedents in the
                server, with an * in the template anywhere we might want to add
                either some boiler-plate or new text. We can bounce through the
                template with Find * and Find Again, replacing as we go. If its
                boiler-plate to be inserted, it is simply a matter of selecting the
                right macro and letting go.

                It also makes the author look at all the usual paragraphs, as a
                "check list" type of review. Some of the *s are used to trigger a
                stop at a paragraph that might be deleted, rather than included, in a
                specific matter.

                BTW we have 5 support staff who will do serious harm to the person
                who attempts to make them use a word processor that does not provide
                macros. They share libraries for addresses, form letters,
                salutations, jurats - just about anything they have to type more
                frequently than once a month or so.

                Barney
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 22, 2006
                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Barney Christianson <bchristianson@...>
                  wrote:

                  > We set up a library of boiler-plate paragraphs that are
                  > common in leases, domestic agreements, etc. We have
                  > template precedents in the server, with an * in the
                  > template anywhere we might want to add either some
                  > boiler-plate or new text. We can bounce through the
                  > template with Find * and Find Again, replacing as we go.
                  > If its boiler-plate to be inserted, it is simply a matter
                  > of selecting the right macro and letting go.

                  > It also makes the author look at all the usual paragraphs,
                  > as a "check list" type of review. Some of the *s are used
                  > to trigger a stop at a paragraph that might be deleted,
                  > rather than included, in a specific matter.

                  This is good advanced use of the program. Barney, if you
                  have templates and macros generic enough to share,
                  please send them and I'll post them.

                  > BTW we have 5 support staff who will do serious harm to
                  > the person who attempts to make them use a word processor
                  > that does not provide macros. They share libraries for
                  > addresses, form letters, salutations, jurats - just about
                  > anything they have to type more frequently than once a
                  > month or so.

                  That's the spirit! Anyone's welcome to post any tips, tricks
                  and special uses that make WP even more valuable. In fact,
                  I'll bet that every reader of this group has at least one trick
                  that others may not know about.