[ANN] Tips & Macros 2.1

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 12, 2006
      Over 100 pages of hints, how-to's and macros for every aspect
      of the program. Useful for beginners and experienced users alike.

      This 21st edition, the first update in a year, has a lot of additions
      for OSX, through Tiger.

      Free, in the Files section here. Suggestions welcome.

      John R.
    • slakeca41
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
        Hi, I am wondering if any attorneys belong to this list, and, if so, whether they write or use macros that help with their practice. Thanks.

        Eric
      • Bob Stern
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
          >slakeca41 wrote:
          >
          >I am wondering if any attorneys belong to this list, and, if so,
          >whether they write or use macros that help with their practice.

          Yes, there are several lawyers on this list, or at least there used
          to be. The numbers are declining, of course, as people migrate to OS
          X native word processors.

          What are you looking for?
          --

          Bob Stern
        • J.J. McVeigh
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
            Also sprach Bob Stern:

            >Yes, there are several lawyers on this list, or at least there used
            >to be. The numbers are declining, of course, as people migrate to OS
            >X native word processors.

            I will stop using WordPerfect when they pry the mouse connected to my
            dual G5 out of my cold, dead hand.... assuming that a solution that
            allows Macintel machines to run Classic does not pan out, and that
            Corel does not see the light and issue an X-native version of WP.

            ;-)

            By the way, if you are not already a member, you might be interested
            in the MacLaw list at Yahoogroups.

            With best regards,

            --
            John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
            16230 Falls Road, P.O. Box 63

            Practice before the Federal Communications Commission
            Member NY, DC, and USPTO Bars
            Amateur Radio Operator KD4VS

            301.596.1655 Voice
            301.596.1656 Telecopier
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006

              > Yes, there are several lawyers on this list, or at least there used
              > to be. The numbers are declining, of course, as people migrate to OS
              > X native word processors.

              I understand that many attorneys use WordPerfect, primarily because of
              security issues with MS Word (e.g. send opposing counsel an electronic
              file, and you've just sent them a file containing all the text you ever
              entered in the document and later erased . . . ), continuity of use since
              the time when WordPerfect was the standard business and legal word
              processor, including access to a law firm's file libraries, as well as
              general ease of use.

              Randy Singer might have some numbers, since he moderates a mailing
              list, with over 5000 members, for attorneys who use the Mac. Randy,
              does your list data indicate (or do you have a general idea) among your
              members, what percentage use 1) Word, 2) WordPerfect, 3) everything
              else? That would be interesting.

              BTW* to the OP*: look at the Links section here for a link to Randy's list
              and to his book on Law Office Software, and at the Files section here for
              Legal Templates.sit. These contain sample forms and macros.

              ========
              *Geek (as opposed to legal) jargon:

              BTW = by the way
              OP = original poster
              ANN = announce

              John R.
            • Bob Stern
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 13, 2006
                >John Rethorst wrote:
                >
                >Randy Singer might have some numbers, since he moderates a mailing
                >list, with over 5000 members, for attorneys who use the Mac. Randy,
                >does your list data indicate (or do you have a general idea) among
                >your members, what percentage use 1) Word, 2) WordPerfect, 3)
                >everything else?

                Several years ago, Randy moderated a discussion list. However, his
                current list is simply a one-way newsletter, with no opportunity for
                discussion by subscribers.

                The currently active Mac lawyers' discussion list is the one John
                McVeigh mentioned. We have 1000 members and discuss a wide range of
                subjects related to Macs and/or law office management. The
                discussion of Macs is not limited to legal applications. The active
                members range from novices to people with surprising depth of
                expertise. Most members have law practices with 4 or fewer
                employees, so leveraging our Macs is key.

                Bob Stern
              • Randy B. Singer
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 14, 2006
                  John Rethorst said:

                  >Randy Singer might have some numbers, since he moderates a mailing
                  >list, with over 5000 members, for attorneys who use the Mac.

                  Actually, as of today, we are at 5,868.

                  >Randy,
                  >does your list data indicate (or do you have a general idea) among your
                  >members, what percentage use 1) Word, 2) WordPerfect, 3) everything
                  >else? That would be interesting.

                  Almost exactly 6 years ago I ran a survey in The MacAttorney Newsletter
                  asking readers which word processor they used. The results were:

                  Word 98: 47%
                  Word 6.0: 5%
                  Word 5.1: 10%
                  WordPerfect: 30%
                  AppleWorks/ClarisWorks: 16%
                  WriteNow: 2%
                  Nisus 1%
                  Others (all being used by only one respondent each): BBEdit, Microsoft
                  Works, AppleWriter, Eudora Pro, WordPerfect/Win.

                  Just about all of the WP/Mac users reported that they would soon be
                  switching to Word because WP/Mac had been discontinued and was
                  unsupported. The survey was done just before OS X was introduced, and
                  I'm sure that had even more of an impact on migration from WP/Mac to
                  something else.

                  I've been hearing less and less about WP from attorneys in the last few
                  years. Now I mostly only hear about WP when an attorney switches from
                  Windows to the Mac and wants to know if WP exists for the Mac and/or how
                  to convert their files to Word for use on the Mac.

                  Recently there was an issue that some jurisdictions require that
                  pleadings be filed electronically in WordPerfect format only. I asked
                  readers of The MacAttorney Newsletter to let me know which jurisdictions
                  those were, and I forwarded the list to Apple. My hope is that Apple
                  contacted those jurisdictions and asked that other formats be accepted as
                  well, so that Mac users are not left out. But I can't tell you if Apple
                  actually came through.

                  Randy B. Singer

                  ROUTINE OS X MAINTENANCE
                  http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                • Ed Gould
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 14, 2006
                    On Jul 14, 2006, at 2:32 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:
                    --------------------SNIP-------------------------------------------

                    > Recently there was an issue that some jurisdictions require that
                    > pleadings be filed electronically in WordPerfect format only. I asked
                    > readers of The MacAttorney Newsletter to let me know which
                    > jurisdictions
                    > those were, and I forwarded the list to Apple. My hope is that Apple
                    > contacted those jurisdictions and asked that other formats be
                    > accepted as
                    > well, so that Mac users are not left out. But I can't tell you if
                    > Apple
                    > actually came through.

                    Randy,

                    SInce you have a list (that you sent to Apple) maybe it might be
                    worth doing a follow up too see if they have been contacted, no?

                    Ed

                    > Randy B. Singer
                    > Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
                    >
                    > ROUTINE OS X MAINTENANCE
                    > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Randy B. Singer
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 14, 2006
                      Ed Gould said:

                      >SInce you have a list (that you sent to Apple) maybe it might be
                      >worth doing a follow up too see if they have been contacted, no?

                      Oy! I've been chasing after Apple about the law office market for over a
                      decade. They are as tired of dealing with me as I am of dealing with
                      them.

                      Here is my main contact at Apple with regard to the law office market:

                      Kenny Lee
                      Market Manager
                      Apple
                      (o) (408) 974-9178
                      (c) (408) 203-3306
                      kennylee@...

                      And here is the response that he sent me about the WordPerfect
                      jurisdictions list that I sent him:

                      >Thank you Randy. I'll look into these when I get a chance (probably
                      >not until the earliest, June).

                      If you would like to contact him to tell him that you are looking foward
                      to his help in this area, Ed, I'm sure that your input would be
                      courteously received.

                      Please let us know what he has to say if you contact him.

                      Randy B. Singer, Attorney at Law

                      * Moderator of:
                      The MacAttorney Computer User Group
                      * Author of:
                      The Macintosh Software Guide for the Law Office
                      <http://tinyurl.com/6pyvt>
                      * Webmaster of:
                      The Law Office Software List for the Macintosh Computer
                      <http://www.macattorney.com/>
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 17, 2006
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, slakeca41 <slakeca41@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, I am wondering if any attorneys belong to this list, and, if so, whether they write or use
                        macros that help with their practice. Thanks.

                        In another post, I mentioned the Legal Templates.sit file in the Files
                        section here. I neglected to say that the Document Experts file also
                        has legal materials.

                        John R.
                      • ICLUF Legal Director Randall C. Wilson
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 18, 2006
                          Yes, I'm here and I do have some custom macros. Most are not law
                          specific, but I do have a macro to add signature lines etc. to a
                          pleading. To check for unwanted double spaces in a brief or other
                          document (previously uploaded) To set up a block quote and return
                          to normal margins without resorting to styles, to reset margins and
                          add a header to the second and succeeding pages of a letter (thus
                          allowing 1st page margins to be set for letterhead). To copy the
                          address from a letter and paste it to an envelope and perhaps a few
                          others.

                          FYI, I've been trying out Nisus Writer Express. In what it does it
                          is a superior experience to Word---easier to navigate, more
                          intuitive, doesn't lose custom settings, crashes less often and
                          launches much more quickly. Still, it isn't as functional as WP Mac
                          and the interface uses more screen space to offer it's functionality
                          than I would like.

                          On the plus side for attorneys, Nisus Writer offers unlimited undoes,
                          and non-contiguous text selection.

                          I can recommend Nisus for working with rtf formatted documents, but,
                          find myself coming back to good old WP Mac for drafting my own
                          original documents.

                          --
                          /s/ Randall C. Wilson, Esq.
                          Legal Director

                          mailto:randall.wilson@...

                          Ph: (515) 243 4032
                          Fax: (515) 243 8506 (call first)

                          NEW email address:
                          The ICLUF has changed its name to the "ACLU of Iowa Foundation"
                          My new email address is: "randall.wilson@..."

                          My old email address will continue to work: mailto:rwilson@...

                        • jmdetlefsen
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 19, 2006
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

                            > I will stop using WordPerfect when they pry the mouse connected to my
                            > dual G5 out of my cold, dead hand.... assuming that a solution that
                            > allows Macintel machines to run Classic does not pan out, and that
                            > Corel does not see the light and issue an X-native version of WP.
                            >
                            > ;-)
                            >
                            > By the way, if you are not already a member, you might be interested
                            > in the MacLaw list at Yahoogroups.
                            >
                            > With best regards,
                            >
                            > --
                            > John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
                            > 16230 Falls Road, P.O. Box 63
                            > Butler, Maryland 21023-0063
                            >
                            > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                            > Practice before the Federal Communications Commission
                            > Member NY, DC, and USPTO Bars
                            > Amateur Radio Operator KD4VS
                            >
                            > 301.596.1655 Voice
                            > 301.596.1656 Telecopier
                            > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

                            John, I feel much the same way. The Reveal Codes feature is worth its
                            weight in gold. I gave up on doing much formatting in Word. Nothing
                            ever ended up with the formatting I wanted. I'm trying to get used to
                            NeoOffice right now, hoping that will be usable.

                            You may remember me from our dealings with the FCC when I worked for
                            TN Technologies (Thermo MeasureTech) before it imploded. Hope you are
                            doing all right. ever realized you were a Mac user. I used to take my
                            Powerbook to work and do most of my work on it.

                            Mike Detlefsen
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 21, 2006
                              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

                              > I will stop using WordPerfect when they pry the mouse connected to my
                              > dual G5 out of my cold, dead hand....

                              Something like the new graphic in the Photos section. Click once to open
                              album and again to open picture.

                              > assuming that a solution that
                              > allows Macintel machines to run Classic does not pan out,

                              Basilisk and SheepShaver (links to both in Links section here) apparently
                              both work, and the issue is emulation speed. But I wonder if a fraction
                              of native speed on the very fast Intel chips isn't still faster than what most
                              of us run now.

                              John R.
                            • slakeca41
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 21, 2006
                                Thank you, John.

                                As it happens, in this office we are now having trouble with WordPerfect on our Macs. We use 3.5, and it runs in what seems to be a faux OS9. Documents can, then can't, be saved on the network, and today I noticed that a document that was saved and closed did not, when I reopened it, still have the recent changes I'd made! This is frustrating, and I'd like to know if anyone has experienced similar problems. I suspect the OS9 that opens along with WP is to blame. Does anyone know more?

                                Also, should we consider Nissus instead?

                                Thanks.

                                Eric Howard
                                Los Angeles Lawyer magazine

                                jmdetlefsen <jmiked@...> wrote: --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" wrote:

                                > I will stop using WordPerfect when they pry the mouse connected to my
                                > dual G5 out of my cold, dead hand.... assuming that a solution that
                                > allows Macintel machines to run Classic does not pan out, and that
                                > Corel does not see the light and issue an X-native version of WP.
                                >
                                > ;-)
                                >
                                > By the way, if you are not already a member, you might be interested
                                > in the MacLaw list at Yahoogroups.
                                > .
                                >
                                > With best regards,
                                >
                                > --
                                > John Joseph McVeigh, Attorney at Law
                                > 16230 Falls Road, P.O. Box 63
                                > Butler, Maryland 21023-0063
                                >
                                > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                > Practice before the Federal Communications Commission
                                > Member NY, DC, and USPTO Bars
                                > Amateur Radio Operator KD4VS
                                >
                                > 301.596.1655 Voice
                                > 301.596.1656 Telecopier
                                > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

                                John, I feel much the same way. The Reveal Codes feature is worth its
                                weight in gold. I gave up on doing much formatting in Word. Nothing
                                ever ended up with the formatting I wanted. I'm trying to get used to
                                NeoOffice right now, hoping that will be usable.

                                You may remember me from our dealings with the FCC when I worked for
                                TN Technologies (Thermo MeasureTech) before it imploded. Hope you are
                                doing all right. ever realized you were a Mac user. I used to take my
                                Powerbook to work and do most of my work on it.

                                Mike Detlefsen

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Barney Christianson
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 22, 2006

                                  > >slakeca41 <slakeca41@...> wrote:
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Hi, I am wondering if any attorneys belong to this list, and,
                                  >>>if >>so, whether they write or use
                                  > >macros that help with their practice. Thanks.

                                  We set up a library of boiler-plate paragraphs that are common in
                                  leases, domestic agreements, etc. We have template precedents in the
                                  server, with an * in the template anywhere we might want to add
                                  either some boiler-plate or new text. We can bounce through the
                                  template with Find * and Find Again, replacing as we go. If its
                                  boiler-plate to be inserted, it is simply a matter of selecting the
                                  right macro and letting go.

                                  It also makes the author look at all the usual paragraphs, as a
                                  "check list" type of review. Some of the *s are used to trigger a
                                  stop at a paragraph that might be deleted, rather than included, in a
                                  specific matter.

                                  BTW we have 5 support staff who will do serious harm to the person
                                  who attempts to make them use a word processor that does not provide
                                  macros. They share libraries for addresses, form letters,
                                  salutations, jurats - just about anything they have to type more
                                  frequently than once a month or so.

                                  Barney
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 22, 2006
                                    --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Barney Christianson <bchristianson@...>
                                    wrote:

                                    > We set up a library of boiler-plate paragraphs that are
                                    > common in leases, domestic agreements, etc. We have
                                    > template precedents in the server, with an * in the
                                    > template anywhere we might want to add either some
                                    > boiler-plate or new text. We can bounce through the
                                    > template with Find * and Find Again, replacing as we go.
                                    > If its boiler-plate to be inserted, it is simply a matter
                                    > of selecting the right macro and letting go.

                                    > It also makes the author look at all the usual paragraphs,
                                    > as a "check list" type of review. Some of the *s are used
                                    > to trigger a stop at a paragraph that might be deleted,
                                    > rather than included, in a specific matter.

                                    This is good advanced use of the program. Barney, if you
                                    have templates and macros generic enough to share,
                                    please send them and I'll post them.

                                    > BTW we have 5 support staff who will do serious harm to
                                    > the person who attempts to make them use a word processor
                                    > that does not provide macros. They share libraries for
                                    > addresses, form letters, salutations, jurats - just about
                                    > anything they have to type more frequently than once a
                                    > month or so.

                                    That's the spirit! Anyone's welcome to post any tips, tricks
                                    and special uses that make WP even more valuable. In fact,
                                    I'll bet that every reader of this group has at least one trick
                                    that others may not know about.