Re: Where to put WP 2-3 > Word converter?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@...> wrote:

      > The Read Me says it goes in Word's extensions folder. There doesn't
      > seem to be such a thing under Word 2004.

      Let me try to track down where I got that from.

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 11, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@...> wrote:

        > The Read Me says it goes in Word's extensions folder. There doesn't
        > seem to be such a thing under Word 2004. I put the converter into the
        > Text Converters folder in the Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Shared
        > Applications folder, but it wasn't recognized by Word. I tried changing
        > the creator codes to match the existing Word converters; that fixed the
        > icon, but again the converter itself wasn't recognized by Word.

        This is probably a converter to Word v. 6. I could not find where on
        the net I located it, but its creation and modification dates of 1994
        suggest it would not support Word 2004's changed file format. Did
        Word 6 have an extensions folder?

        John R.
      • Edward Mendelson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 15, 2006
          It turns out the instructions are accurate for Word 2001; but a new converter would seem to
          be needed for Word 2004.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 16, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@...> wrote:

            > It turns out the instructions are accurate for Word 2001; but a
            > new converter would seem to be needed for Word 2004.

            I don't think one exists, but if you save a WP doc in Word 6 format,
            Word 2004 will open it.

            John R.
          • Dan Gilbert
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
              I've reluctantly given up on WordPerfect and have been converting all
              my WP files into Word 2004 so I may be of some help here.
              Long ago WP gave up on translators and started distributing
              DATAVIZ MacLinkPlus with WP. MacLinkPlus Deluxe 15.0 is still alive
              and well, cost $40, and can be bought online at
              http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html.
              Note that, according to Word 2004, "The default format for MS
              Word 2004 documents is shared by Word 98 through Word 2004 for Mac."
              I tried saving my WP files as "Microsoft Word 6.0" and they opened
              fine in Word 2004 My major problems with the conversion is that Word
              just does not read "center" or "flush right" and doesn't translate
              your Table of Contents.
              I also found a DATAVIZ translator (DataViz WP Translations,
              version DataViz API - 1.3 (c) 1995) filed in my Applications (Mac OS9)
              / WordPerfect 3.5e / Conversions.wpmac folder
              Hope this helps, Dan.
            • Doug Auwarter
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
                On Jul 18, 2006, at 6:06 PM, Dan Gilbert wrote:

                My major problems with the conversion is that Word
                just does not read "center" or "flush right" and doesn't translate
                your Table of Contents.

                It's not a problem with the conversion. Word doesn't do "flush right"
                and its ability to generate a decently formatted table of contents is
                pathetic. This type of thing is why there are still so many people
                who still use and swear by WP/mac.
                Sorry,
                Doug