Where to put WP 2-3 > Word converter?

  • Edward Mendelson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
      I've been updating my set of John's terrific conversions filters, and
      have a question about the WP 2-3>Word converter.

      The Read Me says it goes in Word's extensions folder. There doesn't
      seem to be such a thing under Word 2004. I put the converter into the
      Text Converters folder in the Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Shared
      Applications folder, but it wasn't recognized by Word. I tried changing
      the creator codes to match the existing Word converters; that fixed the
      icon, but again the converter itself wasn't recognized by Word.

      Am I missing something very obvious?

      Thanks!

      Edward Mendelson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@...> wrote:

        > The Read Me says it goes in Word's extensions folder. There doesn't
        > seem to be such a thing under Word 2004.

        Let me try to track down where I got that from.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2006
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@...> wrote:

          > The Read Me says it goes in Word's extensions folder. There doesn't
          > seem to be such a thing under Word 2004. I put the converter into the
          > Text Converters folder in the Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Shared
          > Applications folder, but it wasn't recognized by Word. I tried changing
          > the creator codes to match the existing Word converters; that fixed the
          > icon, but again the converter itself wasn't recognized by Word.

          This is probably a converter to Word v. 6. I could not find where on
          the net I located it, but its creation and modification dates of 1994
          suggest it would not support Word 2004's changed file format. Did
          Word 6 have an extensions folder?

          John R.
        • Edward Mendelson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 15, 2006
            It turns out the instructions are accurate for Word 2001; but a new converter would seem to
            be needed for Word 2004.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 16, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "Edward Mendelson" <em36@...> wrote:

              > It turns out the instructions are accurate for Word 2001; but a
              > new converter would seem to be needed for Word 2004.

              I don't think one exists, but if you save a WP doc in Word 6 format,
              Word 2004 will open it.

              John R.
            • Dan Gilbert
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
                I've reluctantly given up on WordPerfect and have been converting all
                my WP files into Word 2004 so I may be of some help here.
                Long ago WP gave up on translators and started distributing
                DATAVIZ MacLinkPlus with WP. MacLinkPlus Deluxe 15.0 is still alive
                and well, cost $40, and can be bought online at
                http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/index.html.
                Note that, according to Word 2004, "The default format for MS
                Word 2004 documents is shared by Word 98 through Word 2004 for Mac."
                I tried saving my WP files as "Microsoft Word 6.0" and they opened
                fine in Word 2004 My major problems with the conversion is that Word
                just does not read "center" or "flush right" and doesn't translate
                your Table of Contents.
                I also found a DATAVIZ translator (DataViz WP Translations,
                version DataViz API - 1.3 (c) 1995) filed in my Applications (Mac OS9)
                / WordPerfect 3.5e / Conversions.wpmac folder
                Hope this helps, Dan.
              • Doug Auwarter
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 18, 2006
                  On Jul 18, 2006, at 6:06 PM, Dan Gilbert wrote:

                  My major problems with the conversion is that Word
                  just does not read "center" or "flush right" and doesn't translate
                  your Table of Contents.

                  It's not a problem with the conversion. Word doesn't do "flush right"
                  and its ability to generate a decently formatted table of contents is
                  pathetic. This type of thing is why there are still so many people
                  who still use and swear by WP/mac.
                  Sorry,
                  Doug