Re: [wpmac] New user?

  • Ford Davis
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 7, 2006
      You are doing NOTHING wrong! I joined getting Wordperfect restored for
      an educator, the license numbers lost for her CDs.

      I did that and have been silent and observing & listening.

      It appears you have qualified and helpful contributors ... this person
      either is new to yahoogroups and/or to how they work or is just unable
      to follow simple instructions.. A lot of traffic on this list ... seems
      to help many ... seems you are doing GREAT!

      Loose no more sleep! I run 20+ yahoogroups!

      Ford Davis
      Tech Coordinator/IT Manager

      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 7, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:

        > Life's too short, man.

        It was late . . . my sarcasm was subtle . . .

        John R.
      • Douglas Bouley
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
          As far as I know, the only actively supported platform for WP is now
          Windows. Not sure what "other platforms" you/he would mean. While I
          agree that is rather sad (I still have licensed copies of WP for UNIX,
          Linux and DOS!), it does not seem like much of an excuse for rudeness.
          This person can't even be bothered to learn how to navigate the Yahoo
          Groups software (which does not require rocket science), yet complains
          about the excellent _volunteer_ support here not being good enough???

          There is no war. Hasn't been for years. MS whomped WP way back in the
          Orem days before Corel or Novell. The original WP Corp took too long
          making the Win transition and lost too much market share. Older Mac
          heads than I correct me, but WP was not the lead player in the Mac world
          back then, either, was it?

          Anyway, my loaded PB17 runs WP35e just fine, so until I go fully
          MacTel, it's not so bad.

          Doug

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:

            > MS whomped WP way back in the Orem days before Corel or
            > Novell. The original WP Corp took too long making the Win
            > transition and lost too much market share.

            Therein lie some tales . . . I understand that WP took a long time
            making it to Windows because WP programmers couldn't figure
            out how to keep the program from crashing under Windows. I
            understand this was because Microsoft did not make the entire
            API - the environment provided by the OS, which an application
            uses to run - available to WordPerfect (or Lotus, whose best-selling
            1-2-3 spreadsheet had similar troubles). I've heard that Microsoft
            withheld critical information about Windows from its application
            competitors. I've even heard that an unofficial design goal for
            Windows updates was to make WordPerfect crash.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:

              > Older Mac heads
              > than I correct me, but WP was not the lead player in the
              > Mac world back then, either, was it?

              I think that WP 3.0, released a few months after Word 6,
              briefly led the market. Mac users were very unhappy with
              Word 6; Macworld recommended WP 3 as the best word
              processor to be had; sales went up, but WP's display
              problems turned a lot of people off and a later version of
              Word retook first place.

              John R.
            • Matthew Wensley
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                Since Sympatico has decided that no one needs the usenet usegroups
                anymore, I am not sure where to turn to for help with MS Excel for
                Mac. Does anyone know of a list like this for excel?

                TIA

                Matt
                -------------
                "We are reluctant to admit that we owe our liberties
                to men of a type that today we hate and fear -- unruly men,
                disturbers of the peace, men who resent and denounce what Whitman
                called 'the insolence of elected persons' -- in a word, free men."
                -- Gerald W. Johnson
                (1890-1980)
                Source: American Freedom and the Press, 1958
              • Douglas Bouley
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                  I've heard that, too. It has the "ring of authenticity"... and I guess
                  it worked. It's a shame.

                  John Rethorst wrote:
                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> MS whomped WP way back in the Orem days before Corel or
                  >> Novell. The original WP Corp took too long making the Win
                  >> transition and lost too much market share.
                  >>

                  > Therein lie some tales . . . I understand that WP took a long time
                  > making it to Windows because WP programmers couldn't figure
                  > out how to keep the program from crashing under Windows. I
                  > understand this was because Microsoft did not make the entire
                  > API - the environment provided by the OS, which an application
                  > uses to run - available to WordPerfect (or Lotus, whose best-selling
                  > 1-2-3 spreadsheet had similar troubles). I've heard that Microsoft
                  > withheld critical information about Windows from its application
                  > competitors. I've even heard that an unofficial design goal for
                  > Windows updates was to make WordPerfect crash.
                  >
                  > John R.
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Douglas Bouley
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                    Wasn't there some outfit called Beagle Brothers or something similar who
                    was a player then, too? I misrecall. I was stuck on DOS back in those
                    days...

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                      --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Wensley <mwensley@...> wrote:

                      > Since Sympatico has decided that no one needs the usenet usegroups
                      > anymore, I am not sure where to turn to for help with MS Excel for
                      > Mac. Does anyone know of a list like this for excel?

                      You can access newsgroups from the web, at http://groups.google.com/.
                      You can subscribe to groups, but I don't see a way to mark articles
                      as read so they don't appear on the next visit.

                      John R.
                    • wrak2rune
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                        I seem to remember a quote in the '80s -- No doubt just another myth:

                        "Windows isn't done 'till Lotus won't run."

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:

                          > Wasn't there some outfit called Beagle Brothers or something similar who
                          > was a player then, too? I misrecall. I was stuck on DOS back in those
                          > days...

                          Circa 1990 was the great age of the "works" programs.
                          Microsoft had MS Works, which was lame partly because
                          hardware of the time could barely support an all-in-one
                          word processor, spreadsheet, database and some graphics.

                          It put Lotus out of business in the Mac market, though.
                          Lotus had released Jazz, a works-type program whose word
                          processing documents were limited to 32k and whose
                          spreadsheet did not include macros. It did have some
                          interesting features, and no one knew how they managed to
                          get the application onto a 400k floppy.

                          For reasons beyond my technical level to appreciate, these
                          programs had to hold all open documents in RAM, a scarce
                          commodity in those days.

                          Hardware then improved to a point that supported better
                          works programs, and Beagle came along with BeagleWorks. It
                          was later bought by WordPerfect and renamed WordPerfect
                          Works. Reviewers gave its word processing module the best
                          grade, but it was buggy.

                          Symantec released GreatWorks, with an especially good
                          outliner for the program genre, and Claris released
                          ClarisWorks, with the best-reviewed spreadsheet of the lot.
                          As you know, Claris won.

                          John R.
                        • Don Zahniser
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                            John Rethorst wrote:

                            > Hardware then improved to a point that supported better
                            > works programs, and Beagle came along with BeagleWorks. It
                            > was later bought by WordPerfect and renamed WordPerfect
                            > Works. Reviewers gave its word processing module the best
                            > grade, but it was buggy.
                            >
                            > Symantec released GreatWorks, with an especially good
                            > outliner for the program genre, and Claris released
                            > ClarisWorks, with the best-reviewed spreadsheet of the lot.
                            > As you know, Claris won.

                            Those folks interested in the history of software development may wish
                            to visit http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bob/clarisworks.php - a history of
                            the development of ClarisWorks by one of its authors.

                            An interesting note to me (a former Apple IIGS enthusiast), was that
                            most of the ClarisWorks team originated from StyleWare, which had been
                            working on GSWorks (later AppleWorks GS from Claris) and that Beagle
                            Bros ended up with the code to StyleWare's TopDraw and MultiScribe GS
                            (sold as BeagleDraw and BeagleWrite, respectively).

                            - Don
                          • Doug Auwarter
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                              On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:56 AM, Don Zahniser wrote:

                              Those folks interested in the history of software development may wish
                              to visit http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bob/clarisworks.php - a history of
                              the development of ClarisWorks by one of its authors.

                              An interesting note to me (a former Apple IIGS enthusiast), was that
                              most of the ClarisWorks team originated from StyleWare, which had been
                              working on GSWorks (later AppleWorks GS from Claris) and that Beagle
                              Bros ended up with the code to StyleWare's TopDraw and MultiScribe GS
                              (sold as BeagleDraw and BeagleWrite, respectively).

                              Great story--thanks, Don!
                              As one that also likes Appleworks 5 and uses it almost as much as WP
                              (when the WP converters are acting up*) I've always wondered what
                              happened when Appleworks 6 came out. It's a complete dog compared to
                              5, especially the way the importation of graphics works (very
                              badly!). Why did this happen? How can you take a program that works
                              so well, and ruin its functionality in an upgrade? Anyone?
                              Best,
                              Doug

                              *sometimes importing jpg files or copying and pasting long documents.

                            • Douglas Bouley
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                Lord forgive me, but I actually liked the old MS Works for DOS program.
                                It was the first program to tell me not only how to use it's components,
                                but what I would want to do with a spreadsheet vs a database, etc. Great
                                newbie stuff.
                                I eventually "wrote" an entire personnel application in it using the
                                baby macros and some batch files. Once I saw the power of WP DOS,
                                though, I was hooked. Still, the power came with quite a learning curve,
                                and I never did "write" an application in WP :-)

                                The Claris Works line made me drool the first time I saw it on a
                                friend's Mac.

                                John Rethorst wrote:
                                > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >> Wasn't there some outfit called Beagle Brothers or something similar who
                                >> was a player then, too? I misrecall. I was stuck on DOS back in those
                                >> days...
                                >>

                                > Circa 1990 was the great age of the "works" programs.
                                > Microsoft had MS Works, which was lame partly because
                                > hardware of the time could barely support an all-in-one
                                > word processor, spreadsheet, database and some graphics.
                                >
                                > It put Lotus out of business in the Mac market, though.
                                > Lotus had released Jazz, a works-type program whose word
                                > processing documents were limited to 32k and whose
                                > spreadsheet did not include macros. It did have some
                                > interesting features, and no one knew how they managed to
                                > get the application onto a 400k floppy.
                                >
                                > For reasons beyond my technical level to appreciate, these
                                > programs had to hold all open documents in RAM, a scarce
                                > commodity in those days.
                                >
                                > Hardware then improved to a point that supported better
                                > works programs, and Beagle came along with BeagleWorks. It
                                > was later bought by WordPerfect and renamed WordPerfect
                                > Works. Reviewers gave its word processing module the best
                                > grade, but it was buggy.
                                >
                                > Symantec released GreatWorks, with an especially good
                                > outliner for the program genre, and Claris released
                                > ClarisWorks, with the best-reviewed spreadsheet of the lot.
                                > As you know, Claris won.
                                >
                                > John R.
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Matthew Wensley
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                  Newsgroups from the Web? What will they think of next!

                                  Thanks.

                                  Amazing how you don't know something if you have never had to look
                                  for it.

                                  Matt

                                  -----------------------
                                  "Fact of the matter is, there is no hip world, there is no straight
                                  world. There's a world, you see, which has people in it who believe
                                  in a variety of different things. Everybody believes in something and
                                  everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use
                                  that something to support their own existence."
                                  -- Frank Zappa
                                  (1940-1993), Musician

                                  On 11-Jul-06, at 12:19 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

                                  > You can access newsgroups from the web, at http://groups.google.com/
                                • Wynne Brown
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                    Hi all,

                                    I'm a (generally polite :)) new member and a longtime
                                    Apple/Mac user. I've never used WordPerfect myself but have
                                    volunteered to help a writer friend who's recently come to Macs from
                                    the Dark Side. All her old files are in Word Perfect on a CD, and all
                                    she wants to do is move them to her new (but still PowerPC) iBook.
                                    Once they're moved, she'll be using Appleworks to work on them.
                                    Does she need to install WPmac, run it in Classic mode, then
                                    open and save the files as RTF? Or is there an easier way?
                                    She's not particularly computer-savvy, so if any of you have
                                    suggestions for the simplest solution I can give her, I'd be really
                                    appreciative! (I sent her to the FAQ, and she was overwhelmed ...)

                                    cheers,

                                    Wynne Brown
                                  • Doug Auwarter
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                      Wynne,
                                      You didn't say which version of WP/win nor Appleworks she uses, but I
                                      would think the built in Maclink extention in Appleworks will allow
                                      them to be opened directly into Appleworks. If not, maybe it's worth
                                      the investment to get a full version of Maclink and convert them that
                                      way. It's very easy to use.
                                      Best,
                                      Doug

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                        Many thanks, Doug! You provided the vital clue: The built-in version
                                        of MacLink didn't mention WordPerfect, which implies she'd need to
                                        buy the full program. To be sure, I Googled "maclink wordperfect,"
                                        and it pulled up an Apple user discussion that mentioned an Open
                                        Source app called AbiWord (from the Spanish "abierto," according to
                                        Wikipedia -- very cute).
                                        My friend was able to download it and is now happily opening and
                                        saving all the WP files from her pre-Mac life -- and she thinks I'm
                                        even more of an Apple genius than the ones at the store who pointed
                                        her in the direction of this group.

                                        Thanks again!

                                        cheers,

                                        Wynne

                                        >Wynne,
                                        >You didn't say which version of WP/win nor Appleworks she uses, but I
                                        >would think the built in Maclink extention in Appleworks will allow
                                        >them to be opened directly into Appleworks. If not, maybe it's worth
                                        >the investment to get a full version of Maclink and convert them that
                                        >way. It's very easy to use.
                                        >Best,
                                        >Doug
                                        >
                                        >On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:27 PM, Wynne Brown wrote:
                                        >
                                        >I'm a (generally polite :)) new member and a longtime
                                        >Apple/Mac user. I've never used WordPerfect myself but have
                                        >volunteered to help a writer friend who's recently come to Macs from
                                        >the Dark Side. All her old files are in Word Perfect on a CD, and all
                                        >she wants to do is move them to her new (but still PowerPC) iBook.
                                        >Once they're moved, she'll be using Appleworks to work on them.
                                        >Does she need to install WPmac, run it in Classic mode, then
                                        >open and save the files as RTF? Or is there an easier way?
                                        >She's not particularly computer-savvy, so if any of you have
                                        >suggestions for the simplest solution I can give her, I'd be really
                                        >appreciative! (I sent her to the FAQ, and she was overwhelmed ...)

                                      • Rick Albright
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 12, 2006
                                          > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:56 AM, Don Zahniser wrote:
                                          >
                                          > An interesting note to me (a former Apple IIGS enthusiast), was that
                                          > most of the ClarisWorks team originated from StyleWare, which had been
                                          > working on GSWorks (later AppleWorks GS from Claris) and that Beagle
                                          > Bros ended up with the code to StyleWare's TopDraw and MultiScribe GS
                                          > (sold as BeagleDraw and BeagleWrite, respectively).

                                          What I remember most about Beagle Brothers was the series of add-on
                                          programs for Appleworks (the original Appleworks that ran on the
                                          Apple ][ and Apple IIGS). These were some really nifty and creative
                                          patches that extended the functionality of the original program--
                                          report writers, macros, and a whole host of enhancements, some of
                                          which were quite powerful. I think it says a lot about how much the
                                          environment has changed--Appleworks was designed to be easy to patch
                                          to add functionality, as opposed to Microsoft's refusal to release
                                          the Windows APIs and possibly even to sabotage other programs. In the
                                          early 90s, I recall working on a project involving a contractor
                                          designing a system for storage and retrieval of engineering drawings--
                                          one of the first big forays into that area, just about when Windows
                                          3.1 came out--and even though it was a very large defense contractor,
                                          they had enormous problems getting Microsoft to give them the APIs to
                                          make their system work--and that was for a system that wasn't in
                                          competition with any Microsoft products (unlike Lotus or WordPerfect)!

                                          Thanks for awakening fond memories of the fun I had with Beagle's
                                          enhancements. I still have some of their decals around here
                                          somewhere . . .
                                          "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
                                          warfare."
                                          --James Madison, 1793

                                          Rick Albright
                                          logres@...
                                        • Rick Albright
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 12, 2006
                                            Privacy advocates may want to keep in mind the fact that Google
                                            stores all queries to its search engine (the IP address of the
                                            computer and the search terms). I don't know if they keep track of
                                            usage of usenet groups or not. So far they apparently do not release
                                            detailed information (such as who asked for what information) to
                                            outside groups, but it is stored on their servers, and a few months
                                            ago the federal government attempted to obtain some of this
                                            information. (Google gave them a much more scaled down data extract
                                            instead.)

                                            Rick Albright