Re: [wpmac] New user?

  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 7, 2006
      If he is a new adopter of a Mac. He expects a Mac Version of WP just
      like on the other Computer OS's out their on other platforms.

      So he comes to a group so named about WordPerfect Mac and expects
      information on WordPerfect Mac.

      Unfortunately Corel has been scared stiff by the 900 pound Gorilla named
      Microsoft. So there is none for the OSX Platform of Mac.

      So we are talking about, MS Office, OpenOffice, Nesus Writer, and
      different emulators.

      So what is he to say. I am not mad at you. I've become a Pragmatist just
      as everyone else and am resigned to not having WordPerfect on a Mac. 16
      months ago I bought a 17" PowerBook fully load with 2 Gb memory. I can't
      afford to buy another, unless I could Trade. And my next upgrade would
      be a new Desktop machine anyway as I am still using a G4-500.

      So I am stuck like everyone else. I've been a diehard mac person since
      SE/30's. WE're still shown as little respect now as then. I've been
      seriously tempted to go to the darkside because I can get any
      application I want and most of it at the local OfficeMax, or Wal_Mart.
      My mac software I have to buy online, or if I happen to go to VA Beach,
      I can get some at CompUSA.

      Its a sad commentary. MS is wining the War.

      John Sandel wrote:

      > Well, just speaking for myself AND THE REST OF THE SANE WORLD, I'd
      > say your principal fault lies in not buying into this lonely person's
      > psychodrama, for which you are to be commended.
      >
      > Life's too short, man.
      >
      > JS
      >
      > On Jul 6, 2006, at 9:49 PM, John Rethorst wrote:
      >
      > > I received this post yesterday:
      > >
      > >> Okay, What is this?! I was just looking for a way to get
      > >> wordperfect for mac on my laptop since it has that useless
      > >> text program as an excuse for decency. I joined this
      > >> "group" thinkn' that I would be able to hear something
      > >> about downloading mac wordperfect, but apparently not. I
      > >> have no idea what anyone is talkn' aboutor what the point
      > >> of this group really is. So can someone please send me a
      > >> working link that can send me to the approprate program so
      > >> I can get out of this mess? If not, maybe you could refer
      > >> me to a respectable group.
      > >
      > >> Email me about it because I don't know how to navigate
      > >> myself through this site either.
      > >
      > > Now, IMHO, we're very respectable here. But I couldn't sleep
      > > last night, wondering what we're doing wrong.
      > >
      > > John R.

      > > ~-->
      > > Yahoo! Groups gets a make over. See the new email design.
      > > http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM
      > <http://us.click.yahoo.com/XISQkA/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/dkFolB/TM>

      If it's "fixed", don't "break it"!

      mailto:pjones@...

      <http://www.vpea.org>
    • Ford Davis
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 7, 2006
        You are doing NOTHING wrong! I joined getting Wordperfect restored for
        an educator, the license numbers lost for her CDs.

        I did that and have been silent and observing & listening.

        It appears you have qualified and helpful contributors ... this person
        either is new to yahoogroups and/or to how they work or is just unable
        to follow simple instructions.. A lot of traffic on this list ... seems
        to help many ... seems you are doing GREAT!

        Loose no more sleep! I run 20+ yahoogroups!

        Ford Davis
        Tech Coordinator/IT Manager

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 7, 2006
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, John Sandel <johnsandel@...> wrote:

          > Life's too short, man.

          It was late . . . my sarcasm was subtle . . .

          John R.
        • Douglas Bouley
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
            As far as I know, the only actively supported platform for WP is now
            Windows. Not sure what "other platforms" you/he would mean. While I
            agree that is rather sad (I still have licensed copies of WP for UNIX,
            Linux and DOS!), it does not seem like much of an excuse for rudeness.
            This person can't even be bothered to learn how to navigate the Yahoo
            Groups software (which does not require rocket science), yet complains
            about the excellent _volunteer_ support here not being good enough???

            There is no war. Hasn't been for years. MS whomped WP way back in the
            Orem days before Corel or Novell. The original WP Corp took too long
            making the Win transition and lost too much market share. Older Mac
            heads than I correct me, but WP was not the lead player in the Mac world
            back then, either, was it?

            Anyway, my loaded PB17 runs WP35e just fine, so until I go fully
            MacTel, it's not so bad.

            Doug

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:

              > MS whomped WP way back in the Orem days before Corel or
              > Novell. The original WP Corp took too long making the Win
              > transition and lost too much market share.

              Therein lie some tales . . . I understand that WP took a long time
              making it to Windows because WP programmers couldn't figure
              out how to keep the program from crashing under Windows. I
              understand this was because Microsoft did not make the entire
              API - the environment provided by the OS, which an application
              uses to run - available to WordPerfect (or Lotus, whose best-selling
              1-2-3 spreadsheet had similar troubles). I've heard that Microsoft
              withheld critical information about Windows from its application
              competitors. I've even heard that an unofficial design goal for
              Windows updates was to make WordPerfect crash.

              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:

                > Older Mac heads
                > than I correct me, but WP was not the lead player in the
                > Mac world back then, either, was it?

                I think that WP 3.0, released a few months after Word 6,
                briefly led the market. Mac users were very unhappy with
                Word 6; Macworld recommended WP 3 as the best word
                processor to be had; sales went up, but WP's display
                problems turned a lot of people off and a later version of
                Word retook first place.

                John R.
              • Matthew Wensley
                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                  Since Sympatico has decided that no one needs the usenet usegroups
                  anymore, I am not sure where to turn to for help with MS Excel for
                  Mac. Does anyone know of a list like this for excel?

                  TIA

                  Matt
                  -------------
                  "We are reluctant to admit that we owe our liberties
                  to men of a type that today we hate and fear -- unruly men,
                  disturbers of the peace, men who resent and denounce what Whitman
                  called 'the insolence of elected persons' -- in a word, free men."
                  -- Gerald W. Johnson
                  (1890-1980)
                  Source: American Freedom and the Press, 1958
                • Douglas Bouley
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                    I've heard that, too. It has the "ring of authenticity"... and I guess
                    it worked. It's a shame.

                    John Rethorst wrote:
                    > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> MS whomped WP way back in the Orem days before Corel or
                    >> Novell. The original WP Corp took too long making the Win
                    >> transition and lost too much market share.
                    >>

                    > Therein lie some tales . . . I understand that WP took a long time
                    > making it to Windows because WP programmers couldn't figure
                    > out how to keep the program from crashing under Windows. I
                    > understand this was because Microsoft did not make the entire
                    > API - the environment provided by the OS, which an application
                    > uses to run - available to WordPerfect (or Lotus, whose best-selling
                    > 1-2-3 spreadsheet had similar troubles). I've heard that Microsoft
                    > withheld critical information about Windows from its application
                    > competitors. I've even heard that an unofficial design goal for
                    > Windows updates was to make WordPerfect crash.
                    >
                    > John R.
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Douglas Bouley
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                      Wasn't there some outfit called Beagle Brothers or something similar who
                      was a player then, too? I misrecall. I was stuck on DOS back in those
                      days...

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Matthew Wensley <mwensley@...> wrote:

                        > Since Sympatico has decided that no one needs the usenet usegroups
                        > anymore, I am not sure where to turn to for help with MS Excel for
                        > Mac. Does anyone know of a list like this for excel?

                        You can access newsgroups from the web, at http://groups.google.com/.
                        You can subscribe to groups, but I don't see a way to mark articles
                        as read so they don't appear on the next visit.

                        John R.
                      • wrak2rune
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                          I seem to remember a quote in the '80s -- No doubt just another myth:

                          "Windows isn't done 'till Lotus won't run."

                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 10, 2006
                            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:

                            > Wasn't there some outfit called Beagle Brothers or something similar who
                            > was a player then, too? I misrecall. I was stuck on DOS back in those
                            > days...

                            Circa 1990 was the great age of the "works" programs.
                            Microsoft had MS Works, which was lame partly because
                            hardware of the time could barely support an all-in-one
                            word processor, spreadsheet, database and some graphics.

                            It put Lotus out of business in the Mac market, though.
                            Lotus had released Jazz, a works-type program whose word
                            processing documents were limited to 32k and whose
                            spreadsheet did not include macros. It did have some
                            interesting features, and no one knew how they managed to
                            get the application onto a 400k floppy.

                            For reasons beyond my technical level to appreciate, these
                            programs had to hold all open documents in RAM, a scarce
                            commodity in those days.

                            Hardware then improved to a point that supported better
                            works programs, and Beagle came along with BeagleWorks. It
                            was later bought by WordPerfect and renamed WordPerfect
                            Works. Reviewers gave its word processing module the best
                            grade, but it was buggy.

                            Symantec released GreatWorks, with an especially good
                            outliner for the program genre, and Claris released
                            ClarisWorks, with the best-reviewed spreadsheet of the lot.
                            As you know, Claris won.

                            John R.
                          • Don Zahniser
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                              John Rethorst wrote:

                              > Hardware then improved to a point that supported better
                              > works programs, and Beagle came along with BeagleWorks. It
                              > was later bought by WordPerfect and renamed WordPerfect
                              > Works. Reviewers gave its word processing module the best
                              > grade, but it was buggy.
                              >
                              > Symantec released GreatWorks, with an especially good
                              > outliner for the program genre, and Claris released
                              > ClarisWorks, with the best-reviewed spreadsheet of the lot.
                              > As you know, Claris won.

                              Those folks interested in the history of software development may wish
                              to visit http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bob/clarisworks.php - a history of
                              the development of ClarisWorks by one of its authors.

                              An interesting note to me (a former Apple IIGS enthusiast), was that
                              most of the ClarisWorks team originated from StyleWare, which had been
                              working on GSWorks (later AppleWorks GS from Claris) and that Beagle
                              Bros ended up with the code to StyleWare's TopDraw and MultiScribe GS
                              (sold as BeagleDraw and BeagleWrite, respectively).

                              - Don
                            • Doug Auwarter
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:56 AM, Don Zahniser wrote:

                                Those folks interested in the history of software development may wish
                                to visit http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bob/clarisworks.php - a history of
                                the development of ClarisWorks by one of its authors.

                                An interesting note to me (a former Apple IIGS enthusiast), was that
                                most of the ClarisWorks team originated from StyleWare, which had been
                                working on GSWorks (later AppleWorks GS from Claris) and that Beagle
                                Bros ended up with the code to StyleWare's TopDraw and MultiScribe GS
                                (sold as BeagleDraw and BeagleWrite, respectively).

                                Great story--thanks, Don!
                                As one that also likes Appleworks 5 and uses it almost as much as WP
                                (when the WP converters are acting up*) I've always wondered what
                                happened when Appleworks 6 came out. It's a complete dog compared to
                                5, especially the way the importation of graphics works (very
                                badly!). Why did this happen? How can you take a program that works
                                so well, and ruin its functionality in an upgrade? Anyone?
                                Best,
                                Doug

                                *sometimes importing jpg files or copying and pasting long documents.

                              • Douglas Bouley
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                  Lord forgive me, but I actually liked the old MS Works for DOS program.
                                  It was the first program to tell me not only how to use it's components,
                                  but what I would want to do with a spreadsheet vs a database, etc. Great
                                  newbie stuff.
                                  I eventually "wrote" an entire personnel application in it using the
                                  baby macros and some batch files. Once I saw the power of WP DOS,
                                  though, I was hooked. Still, the power came with quite a learning curve,
                                  and I never did "write" an application in WP :-)

                                  The Claris Works line made me drool the first time I saw it on a
                                  friend's Mac.

                                  John Rethorst wrote:
                                  > --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Douglas Bouley <djbouley@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> Wasn't there some outfit called Beagle Brothers or something similar who
                                  >> was a player then, too? I misrecall. I was stuck on DOS back in those
                                  >> days...
                                  >>

                                  > Circa 1990 was the great age of the "works" programs.
                                  > Microsoft had MS Works, which was lame partly because
                                  > hardware of the time could barely support an all-in-one
                                  > word processor, spreadsheet, database and some graphics.
                                  >
                                  > It put Lotus out of business in the Mac market, though.
                                  > Lotus had released Jazz, a works-type program whose word
                                  > processing documents were limited to 32k and whose
                                  > spreadsheet did not include macros. It did have some
                                  > interesting features, and no one knew how they managed to
                                  > get the application onto a 400k floppy.
                                  >
                                  > For reasons beyond my technical level to appreciate, these
                                  > programs had to hold all open documents in RAM, a scarce
                                  > commodity in those days.
                                  >
                                  > Hardware then improved to a point that supported better
                                  > works programs, and Beagle came along with BeagleWorks. It
                                  > was later bought by WordPerfect and renamed WordPerfect
                                  > Works. Reviewers gave its word processing module the best
                                  > grade, but it was buggy.
                                  >
                                  > Symantec released GreatWorks, with an especially good
                                  > outliner for the program genre, and Claris released
                                  > ClarisWorks, with the best-reviewed spreadsheet of the lot.
                                  > As you know, Claris won.
                                  >
                                  > John R.
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • Matthew Wensley
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                    Newsgroups from the Web? What will they think of next!

                                    Thanks.

                                    Amazing how you don't know something if you have never had to look
                                    for it.

                                    Matt

                                    -----------------------
                                    "Fact of the matter is, there is no hip world, there is no straight
                                    world. There's a world, you see, which has people in it who believe
                                    in a variety of different things. Everybody believes in something and
                                    everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use
                                    that something to support their own existence."
                                    -- Frank Zappa
                                    (1940-1993), Musician

                                    On 11-Jul-06, at 12:19 AM, John Rethorst wrote:

                                    > You can access newsgroups from the web, at http://groups.google.com/
                                  • Wynne Brown
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                      Hi all,

                                      I'm a (generally polite :)) new member and a longtime
                                      Apple/Mac user. I've never used WordPerfect myself but have
                                      volunteered to help a writer friend who's recently come to Macs from
                                      the Dark Side. All her old files are in Word Perfect on a CD, and all
                                      she wants to do is move them to her new (but still PowerPC) iBook.
                                      Once they're moved, she'll be using Appleworks to work on them.
                                      Does she need to install WPmac, run it in Classic mode, then
                                      open and save the files as RTF? Or is there an easier way?
                                      She's not particularly computer-savvy, so if any of you have
                                      suggestions for the simplest solution I can give her, I'd be really
                                      appreciative! (I sent her to the FAQ, and she was overwhelmed ...)

                                      cheers,

                                      Wynne Brown
                                    • Doug Auwarter
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                        Wynne,
                                        You didn't say which version of WP/win nor Appleworks she uses, but I
                                        would think the built in Maclink extention in Appleworks will allow
                                        them to be opened directly into Appleworks. If not, maybe it's worth
                                        the investment to get a full version of Maclink and convert them that
                                        way. It's very easy to use.
                                        Best,
                                        Doug

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 11, 2006
                                          Many thanks, Doug! You provided the vital clue: The built-in version
                                          of MacLink didn't mention WordPerfect, which implies she'd need to
                                          buy the full program. To be sure, I Googled "maclink wordperfect,"
                                          and it pulled up an Apple user discussion that mentioned an Open
                                          Source app called AbiWord (from the Spanish "abierto," according to
                                          Wikipedia -- very cute).
                                          My friend was able to download it and is now happily opening and
                                          saving all the WP files from her pre-Mac life -- and she thinks I'm
                                          even more of an Apple genius than the ones at the store who pointed
                                          her in the direction of this group.

                                          Thanks again!

                                          cheers,

                                          Wynne

                                          >Wynne,
                                          >You didn't say which version of WP/win nor Appleworks she uses, but I
                                          >would think the built in Maclink extention in Appleworks will allow
                                          >them to be opened directly into Appleworks. If not, maybe it's worth
                                          >the investment to get a full version of Maclink and convert them that
                                          >way. It's very easy to use.
                                          >Best,
                                          >Doug
                                          >
                                          >On Jul 11, 2006, at 1:27 PM, Wynne Brown wrote:
                                          >
                                          >I'm a (generally polite :)) new member and a longtime
                                          >Apple/Mac user. I've never used WordPerfect myself but have
                                          >volunteered to help a writer friend who's recently come to Macs from
                                          >the Dark Side. All her old files are in Word Perfect on a CD, and all
                                          >she wants to do is move them to her new (but still PowerPC) iBook.
                                          >Once they're moved, she'll be using Appleworks to work on them.
                                          >Does she need to install WPmac, run it in Classic mode, then
                                          >open and save the files as RTF? Or is there an easier way?
                                          >She's not particularly computer-savvy, so if any of you have
                                          >suggestions for the simplest solution I can give her, I'd be really
                                          >appreciative! (I sent her to the FAQ, and she was overwhelmed ...)

                                        • Rick Albright
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 12, 2006
                                            > On Jul 11, 2006, at 4:56 AM, Don Zahniser wrote:
                                            >
                                            > An interesting note to me (a former Apple IIGS enthusiast), was that
                                            > most of the ClarisWorks team originated from StyleWare, which had been
                                            > working on GSWorks (later AppleWorks GS from Claris) and that Beagle
                                            > Bros ended up with the code to StyleWare's TopDraw and MultiScribe GS
                                            > (sold as BeagleDraw and BeagleWrite, respectively).

                                            What I remember most about Beagle Brothers was the series of add-on
                                            programs for Appleworks (the original Appleworks that ran on the
                                            Apple ][ and Apple IIGS). These were some really nifty and creative
                                            patches that extended the functionality of the original program--
                                            report writers, macros, and a whole host of enhancements, some of
                                            which were quite powerful. I think it says a lot about how much the
                                            environment has changed--Appleworks was designed to be easy to patch
                                            to add functionality, as opposed to Microsoft's refusal to release
                                            the Windows APIs and possibly even to sabotage other programs. In the
                                            early 90s, I recall working on a project involving a contractor
                                            designing a system for storage and retrieval of engineering drawings--
                                            one of the first big forays into that area, just about when Windows
                                            3.1 came out--and even though it was a very large defense contractor,
                                            they had enormous problems getting Microsoft to give them the APIs to
                                            make their system work--and that was for a system that wasn't in
                                            competition with any Microsoft products (unlike Lotus or WordPerfect)!

                                            Thanks for awakening fond memories of the fun I had with Beagle's
                                            enhancements. I still have some of their decals around here
                                            somewhere . . .
                                            "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
                                            warfare."
                                            --James Madison, 1793

                                            Rick Albright
                                            logres@...
                                          • Rick Albright
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 12, 2006
                                              Privacy advocates may want to keep in mind the fact that Google
                                              stores all queries to its search engine (the IP address of the
                                              computer and the search terms). I don't know if they keep track of
                                              usage of usenet groups or not. So far they apparently do not release
                                              detailed information (such as who asked for what information) to
                                              outside groups, but it is stored on their servers, and a few months
                                              ago the federal government attempted to obtain some of this
                                              information. (Google gave them a much more scaled down data extract
                                              instead.)

                                              Rick Albright