Re: [wpmac] WP/Win Native On Macintosh

  • Douglas Bouley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hi, Randy,

      Have you had a chance to actually use the Mac version? I have been
      waiting for the release to give it a shot. Didn't see anything on their
      website when I looked last week. I used older Linux versions and found
      it to be so-so. I'm hoping the more recent version might be a little better.

      Thanks,
      Doug

      Randy B. Singer wrote:
      > CrossOver Office from CodeWeavers
      > http://www.codeweavers.com
      > is an amazing piece of software for Intel-based Macintoshes that allows
      > you to run Windows software on your Mac *without the need to have Windows
      > installed!!!* It is only $50, and unlike BootCamp or Parallels you don't
      > have to purchase a copy of Windows. The catch is that unless a
      > particular Windows application is certified by CodeWeavers to run under
      > CrossOver Office, it may not run perfectly, or at all.
      >
      > CodeWeavers has a process where you can become an "advocate," which is
      > their term for someone who thinks a given Windows program should run
      > on an Intel Mac. If folks would like to see WordPerfect for Windows run
      > on an Intel Mac, CodeWeavers uses a pledge system, and the more people
      > who pledge
      > dollars, the more time they spend getting that specific application
      > to work perfectly on the Mac.
      >
      > So, if you would like to run WordPerfect natively on your Macintosh,
      > without having to pay for or run Windows, this is your chance to make it
      > happen.
      >
      > You can pledge here:
      >
      > <http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?cw=e83cbb25284ba77e7
      > eb9f4321d9e5f2d;app_id=656>
      >
      > or
      >
      > http://1url.org/go/1WPMac
      >

      > Randy B. Singer
      > Co-Author of: The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th and 6th editions)
      >
      > Routine OS X Maintenance and Generic Troubleshooting
      > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
        Douglas Bouley said:

        >Have you had a chance to actually use the Mac version? I have been
        >waiting for the release to give it a shot. Didn't see anything on their
        >website when I looked last week. I used older Linux versions and found
        >it to be so-so. I'm hoping the more recent version might be a little better.

        No, I haven't. Actually I was passing the information on from an
        attorney who brought it to my attention. He really wants CrossOver
        Office to run WP/Win because he found that he can't use Parallels and
        Dave together on his Mac.

        Randy B. Singer

        ROUTINE OS X MAINTENANCE
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
          Oh, I was hoping you might have gotten an advanced copy or preview,
          given your prominence in the Mac world.

          I hope it works well, but in my somewhat limited experience, the WINE
          stuff has not been ready for prime time. I'll be tickled to be proved
          wrong, but I'd wait and see how well it actually works.

          Best,
          Doug

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
            --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

            > ROUTINE OS X MAINTENANCE
            > http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

            This is a good resource. I just added the link to the Links section here.

            Randy, do you have a page like it for OS 7-9? I can't find one on your
            site's main page.

            John R.
          • Randy B. Singer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
              John Rethorst said:

              >> ROUTINE OS X MAINTENANCE
              >> http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
              >
              >This is a good resource. I just added the link to the Links section here.

              Thanks! I've spent the last few weeks drastically updating that site,
              and I just put it online yesterday. I still intend to update it more
              this weekend.

              >Randy, do you have a page like it for OS 7-9? I can't find one on your
              >site's main page.

              I don't, but others do:

              http://www.geocities.com/texas_macman/MacTroubleshoot.html

              Randy B. Singer