Re: [wpmac] Re: Classic Desktop in OSX (was: Conversions)

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2006
      John Rethorst said:

      >> I suspect that the need to rebuild the Desktop in Classic under OS X
      >> depends entirely on how many files you download and create, and delete.
      >> If your Desktop database is large, it might be a good idea to rebuild it.
      >
      >Do you mean just files to be opened by Classic programs, or all files?

      That's an excellent question.

      It would seem to me that it is "all files and all applications." OS 9's
      Desktop database doesn't just keep track of classic files and
      applications, it is responsible for keeping track of everything that is
      on your hard drive so that it can represent them and keep track of them
      in OS 9's Finder.

      So, even if you just about never launch Classic, if you create, download,
      and/or delete a lot of files, etc. in OS X, it is a good idea to
      occasionally rebuild the Desktop in Classic.

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html