Re: Classic Desktop in OSX

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2006
      RBRoufberg@... wrote:

      > What does "rebuilding the desktop" actually "do"?

      When you use WordPerfect, the application draws a document on
      screen, with data represented in a way that makes sense to us. The
      Finder does this too, its data being files and folders. The desktop
      file (actually two files) are the Finder's "document" that it always
      keeps open, modifying it as we add applications and documents.
      The Mac keeps the desktop files invisible, just so they're out of
      the way.

      The desktop can become corrupted through extended use, and
      it's a good idea to periodically rebuild it, i.e. delete it and let the
      Finder go through your files and folders again and make a new
      document.

      To do this in OS 7.5-9, restart your Mac and immediately press
      the Command and Option keys until a dialog asks you if you
      want to rebuild desktop files. Do this for all mounted volumes.

      In Classic, go to System Preferences > Classic > Advanced and
      click the Rebuild Desktop button. Do it for all volumes.

      > Why would it one use such a program as Claris Emailer?

      There are several Classic programs that have not yet been
      equalled in OSX.

      pjones1@... wrote:

      > To do the more thorough Desktop rebuild in find file turn on
      > invisible. Then type "desktop". should be two desktop Desktop
      > Desktop db was one and I belive desktop df was the other.

      > move those files to Trash and restart computer. This rebuild a
      > new Desktop Database not just append repairs to the end.
      > Disadvantage is if you have getInfo comments written it wipes
      > out all of them

      As of I think OS 8, Apple changed the rebuilding, so it now
      works like your manual procedure. For OS 7x, your procedure
      is the better one, since it creates an entirely new desktop instead
      of modifying the existing one.

      > Is there a Benign equivelent for OSX.

      I think Option-click on the Finder's dock icon and choose Relaunch,
      but I'm not sure.