Re: [wpmac] Classic Desktop in OSX (was: Conversions)

  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
      To do the more thorough Desktop rebuild in find file turn on invisible.
      Then type "desktop". should be two desktop Desktop Desktop db was one
      and I belive desktop df was the other.

      move those files to Trash and restart computer. This rebuild a new
      Desktop Database not just append repairs to the end. Disadvantage is if
      you have getInfo comments written it wipes out all of them

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

        > Randy B. Singer said:
        >
        > >The need to rebuild the desktop routinely under OS 7/8/9 was always
        > >controversial. Assuming that one wasn't experiencing a very limited
        > >specific set of problems, there were many "experts" who believed that you
        > >never needed to rebuild your desktop.
        >
        > I think that I just found a big benefit of rebuilding one's Desktop. I
        > just did it, because we were talking about it and I haven't done it in
        > ages. I still usually use Claris Emailer, a classic e-mail program.
        > Before rebuilding the Desktop it was running really slowly for several
        > functions. Now it runs like new!

        I think there are a lot of people who have a new machine and know their
        way around OSX, but who still use, and want to continue to use, a classic
        program or two. For many of them it's Framemaker, which apparently
        has never been equalled in page layout for long and/or technical
        documents. These experienced users may give Apple a reason to
        reconsider classic support in Intel, or at least provide an interesting
        market for a third-party developer.