Re: [wpmac] Classic Desktop in OSX (was: Conversions)

  • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3 9:40 AM
      To do the more thorough Desktop rebuild in find file turn on invisible.
      Then type "desktop". should be two desktop Desktop Desktop db was one
      and I belive desktop df was the other.

      move those files to Trash and restart computer. This rebuild a new
      Desktop Database not just append repairs to the end. Disadvantage is if
      you have getInfo comments written it wipes out all of them

    • RBRoufberg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3 10:22 AM
        In a message dated 7/2/06 11:57:55 PM, randy@... writes:

        > I think that I just found a big benefit of rebuilding one's Desktop.  I
        > just did it, because we were talking about it and I haven't done it in
        > ages.  I still usually use Claris Emailer, a classic e-mail program.
        > Before rebuilding the Desktop it was running really slowly for several
        > functions.  Now it runs like new!
        >

        > What does "rebuilding the desktop" actually "do"? What does it accomplish?
        Why would it one use such a program as Claris Emailer? Doesn't the Mac
        have a built-in rebuilder?

        Ruth R.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3 10:55 AM
          --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

          > Randy B. Singer said:
          >
          > >The need to rebuild the desktop routinely under OS 7/8/9 was always
          > >controversial. Assuming that one wasn't experiencing a very limited
          > >specific set of problems, there were many "experts" who believed that you
          > >never needed to rebuild your desktop.
          >
          > I think that I just found a big benefit of rebuilding one's Desktop. I
          > just did it, because we were talking about it and I haven't done it in
          > ages. I still usually use Claris Emailer, a classic e-mail program.
          > Before rebuilding the Desktop it was running really slowly for several
          > functions. Now it runs like new!

          I think there are a lot of people who have a new machine and know their
          way around OSX, but who still use, and want to continue to use, a classic
          program or two. For many of them it's Framemaker, which apparently
          has never been equalled in page layout for long and/or technical
          documents. These experienced users may give Apple a reason to
          reconsider classic support in Intel, or at least provide an interesting
          market for a third-party developer.