Re: [wpmac] Classic Desktop in OSX (was: Conversions)

  • Randy B. Singer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
      John Rethorst said:

      >In OS 9, received wisdom recommended rebuilding the desktop once
      >a month. OSX still has the OS 9 desktop, but its functions are reduced,
      >and I don't know how necessary it is to rebuild it as part of a
      >maintenance schedule (although I still rebuild mine every month).
      >
      >Does an OSX guru here have any enlightenment?

      Apple does recommend rebuilding the Desktop file once a month. At least
      it did for OS 9:

      The need to rebuild the desktop routinely under OS 7/8/9 was always
      controversial. Assuming that one wasn't experiencing a very limited
      specific set of problems, there were many "experts" who believed that you
      never needed to rebuild your desktop.

      Some folks recommended using TechTool Lite to do a "more thorough"
      rebuild of your desktop, but I don't recall ever hearing what the
      advatages were to this more thorough rebuild, or what problems were being
      avoided.

      From Mac Tech Support....What Works....What Doesn't.......
      http://macguru.biz/extensions.html#techsupport

      >Apple did an in-depth report of troubleshooting techniques and their
      >effectiveness. This is what they found:
      > 1. Rebuilding the Desktop worked 0% of the time that it was tried. It
      >was tried 54% of the time.

      Here is an entire Web page on the subject, and it lists and rates three
      different procedures for rebuilding your Desktop!:
      http://www.sciencequest.org/support/computers/mac/topics/dt_rebuild.html

      I suspect that the need to rebuild the Desktop in Classic under OS X
      depends entirely on how many files you download and create, and delete.
      If your Desktop database is large, it might be a good idea to rebuild it.

      Randy B. Singer

      http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
    • Randy B. Singer
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2006
        Randy B. Singer said:

        >The need to rebuild the desktop routinely under OS 7/8/9 was always
        >controversial. Assuming that one wasn't experiencing a very limited
        >specific set of problems, there were many "experts" who believed that you
        >never needed to rebuild your desktop.

        I think that I just found a big benefit of rebuilding one's Desktop. I
        just did it, because we were talking about it and I haven't done it in
        ages. I still usually use Claris Emailer, a classic e-mail program.
        Before rebuilding the Desktop it was running really slowly for several
        functions. Now it runs like new!

        Randy B. Singer

        http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
      • Phillip Jones, C.E.T.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
          To do the more thorough Desktop rebuild in find file turn on invisible.
          Then type "desktop". should be two desktop Desktop Desktop db was one
          and I belive desktop df was the other.

          move those files to Trash and restart computer. This rebuild a new
          Desktop Database not just append repairs to the end. Disadvantage is if
          you have getInfo comments written it wipes out all of them

        • RBRoufberg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
            In a message dated 7/2/06 11:57:55 PM, randy@... writes:

            > I think that I just found a big benefit of rebuilding one's Desktop.  I
            > just did it, because we were talking about it and I haven't done it in
            > ages.  I still usually use Claris Emailer, a classic e-mail program.
            > Before rebuilding the Desktop it was running really slowly for several
            > functions.  Now it runs like new!
            >

            > What does "rebuilding the desktop" actually "do"? What does it accomplish?
            Why would it one use such a program as Claris Emailer? Doesn't the Mac
            have a built-in rebuilder?

            Ruth R.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
              --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, Randy B. Singer <randy@...> wrote:

              > Randy B. Singer said:
              >
              > >The need to rebuild the desktop routinely under OS 7/8/9 was always
              > >controversial. Assuming that one wasn't experiencing a very limited
              > >specific set of problems, there were many "experts" who believed that you
              > >never needed to rebuild your desktop.
              >
              > I think that I just found a big benefit of rebuilding one's Desktop. I
              > just did it, because we were talking about it and I haven't done it in
              > ages. I still usually use Claris Emailer, a classic e-mail program.
              > Before rebuilding the Desktop it was running really slowly for several
              > functions. Now it runs like new!

              I think there are a lot of people who have a new machine and know their
              way around OSX, but who still use, and want to continue to use, a classic
              program or two. For many of them it's Framemaker, which apparently
              has never been equalled in page layout for long and/or technical
              documents. These experienced users may give Apple a reason to
              reconsider classic support in Intel, or at least provide an interesting
              market for a third-party developer.