Font changes

  • hacky8sack
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 16, 2006
      Does anyone know how to prevent this problem? I often copy text from
      various sources and paste into wordperfect files, using wp3.5e running
      in classic under OSX. Frequently the text appears in the file in a
      weird font and size -- like charcoal, size 13 -- no matter what the
      original font or the default font in wp are. This happens every time
      if I cut and paste a message from a netscape email, for example. I can
      fix this (thanks to show codes) but it's annoying. Never used to
      happen in OS 9.

      Sometimes the text I cut and paste appears in the file as a figure
      box, which then can't be edited. Pasting special as "text only"
      usually helps, but is annoying, and removes all formatting.

      Let me know if anyone knows where the charcoal comes from.
      Steve
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 17, 2006
        --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "hacky8sack" <hacky8sack@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know how to prevent this problem? I often copy text from
        > various sources and paste into wordperfect files, using wp3.5e running
        > in classic under OSX. Frequently the text appears in the file in a
        > weird font and size -- like charcoal, size 13 -- no matter what the
        > original font or the default font in wp are. This happens every time
        > if I cut and paste a message from a netscape email, for example. I can
        > fix this (thanks to show codes) but it's annoying. Never used to
        > happen in OS 9.

        I get this, depending on where I'm copying from. I think it's just a
        quirk of OSX - Classic interaction. So I Paste Text, using a keystroke
        I assigned.

        > Sometimes the text I cut and paste appears in the file as a figure
        > box, which then can't be edited.

        Haven't heard of that before.

        John R.
      • Rick Albright
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 17, 2006
          I'm not sure that it's peculiar to WordPerfect, or even to OSX. I
          have noticed font changes in other programs--most especially
          Appleworks (the word processing module). In that case, I've been able
          to determine that 100% of the time a copy and paste operation results
          in the font being changed to 12-point Helvetica--even if it started
          out as an entirely different font and size elsewhere. It even happens
          within the same document. I'm pretty sure it's Helvetica 12 because
          that's my default font in that program. I used to use Appleworks for
          minor things (short memos and letters), as there are times when it's
          quicker not to have to launch Classic and I don't need all the power
          of WP, but I've pretty much given up on it because of the font
          changes. Other programs don't do it--Mellel retains the style from
          the original source; I don't praise Word very much, but some versions
          have that handy pop-up that allows you to choose to retain original
          formatting, match it to the destination, or paste the text only, and
          this is quite helpful.

          I had always thought that WP kept the source's formatting
          characteristics, but anytime I've needed to change them, the most
          reliable method was to use reveal codes to identify the font change
          (or other changes, such as margins, etc.), select it and delete it
          (you only need to locate the code that is turning on the font and
          delete it, and all the text should revert to the formatting of your
          destination document). In fact, it is at just such times--a paste or
          other editing operation produces unexpected results--that I've most
          appreciated Reveal codes, and when it's happened in another program,
          I've always wished at that moment that Reveal Codes was available.

          I'm sorry if this hasn't really answered your question, though.

          On Jun 17, 2006, at 12:07 AM, hacky8sack wrote:

          > Does anyone know how to prevent this problem? I often copy text from
          > various sources and paste into wordperfect files, using wp3.5e running
          > in classic under OSX. Frequently the text appears in the file in a
          > weird font and size -- like charcoal, size 13 -- no matter what the
          > original font or the default font in wp are. This happens every time
          > if I cut and paste a message from a netscape email, for example. I can
          > fix this (thanks to show codes) but it's annoying. Never used to
          > happen in OS 9.

          "No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual
          warfare."
          --James Madison, 1793

          Rick Albright
          logres@...
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 17, 2006
            Steve

            Speaking only to the question of text as a figure box, is this after
            cutting and pasting from Word in OSX? It always happens with MS
            programmes. The only solution is to paste special ... and then choose
            text. It's now Cmnd-Shift-V for me.

            Geoff

            >Does anyone know how to prevent this problem? I often copy text from
            >various sources and paste into wordperfect files, using wp3.5e running
            >in classic under OSX. Frequently the text appears in the file in a
            >weird font and size -- like charcoal, size 13 -- no matter what the
            >original font or the default font in wp are. This happens every time
            >if I cut and paste a message from a netscape email, for example. I can
            >fix this (thanks to show codes) but it's annoying. Never used to
            >happen in OS 9.
            >
            >Sometimes the text I cut and paste appears in the file as a figure
            >box, which then can't be edited. Pasting special as "text only"
            >usually helps, but is annoying, and removes all formatting.
            >
            >Let me know if anyone knows where the charcoal comes from.
            >Steve
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ianbooks2000
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2006

              > > Sometimes the text I cut and paste appears in the file as a figure
              > > box, which then can't be edited.

              I get that too. If I have Word running in OS 10.4 and cut a paragraph
              from a document, when I try to paste it into WP it shows up as a
              figure box. Haven't tried it lately with Word running under OS9, but
              don't recall it being a problem then. Must have something to do with
              how the OSs relate...

              Ian
            • J.J. McVeigh
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2006
                Also sprach John Rethorst:

                > > Sometimes the text I cut and paste appears in the file as a figure
                >> box, which then can't be edited.
                >
                >Haven't heard of that before.

                This happens to me when copying from a Word document and pasting into
                a WP document. I dislike using Word, but I do get Word files fairly
                regularly from clients or from a lawyer on the other side of the
                table. So, I have a copy of Word on hand (though I dislike having to
                use it).
                --

                John
              • Daryl Ngee Chinn
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2006
                  I second what various people have said here, to wit:

                  —if font changes occur at Paste, I Reveal Codes and erase offending codes, even though
                  this almost always involves my re-formatting the text [and only WP has Reveal Codes!];

                  —if a text box occurs (I've had this happen), which is almost impossible to edit, I get ride
                  of it (Undo) and then Paste Special and choose the first option only, and then edit and re-
                  format;

                  —other people send attachments to us, often in Microsoft Word (or other word processing
                  programs), and I have a copy of MS Word and other translators just because it's simpler
                  (and I don't have to translate WPerfect into pdf so that I can print on OS X);

                  —if you try to paste a non-MS Word text into MS Word, you will often (usually?) get a
                  gobbledogook-formatted item. I have pasted ordinary text into MSW and gotten 108 pt
                  Bubble Text mixed in with different colored and different-sized text, and I could do
                  nothing about it easily because I couldn't see the codes or where they were. (There is a
                  Paste Special in MS Word, by the way.)

                  Do you think, that now that Bill Gates is going to devote himself to philanthropy that
                  someone up in Redmond (or any other word processing programmer's head anywhere)
                  will try to put Reveal Codes into MS Word, or is this asking for an ice cube to survive being
                  thrown into the sun? Would Apple try to create a WordPerfect?

                  Finally, is it worth partitioning a Mac hard drive for Windows and buying Word Perfect in
                  any PC version? If so, which version, and if so, is there a listserv/group like this for that
                  WordPerfect?

                  Daryl

                  --- In wordperfectmac@yahoogroups.com, "J.J. McVeigh" <kd4vs@...> wrote:

                  > Also sprach John Rethorst:
                  >
                  > > > Sometimes the text I cut and paste appears in the file as a figure
                  > >> box, which then can't be edited.
                  > >
                  > >Haven't heard of that before.
                  >
                  > This happens to me when copying from a Word document and pasting into
                  > a WP document. I dislike using Word, but I do get Word files fairly
                  > regularly from clients or from a lawyer on the other side of the
                  > table. So, I have a copy of Word on hand (though I dislike having to
                  > use it).
                  > --
                  >
                  > John

                • Thomas J. Rostafinski, Ph.D.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 18, 2006
                    John and Steve, I have selected part of an Excel spreadsheet, copied it,
                    and found on pasting it into a WP file that it appears as an uneditable
                    graphic that looks very much like the original portion of the
                    spreadsheet. When the same clipboard content is pasted as text
                    (command-F4, a keystroke I use all the time, editable of course to any
                    other unused keystroke), however, it comes out as tab-delimited text
                    that can be edited in WP. Tom